Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW file CA correction using Photoshop Elements

I was doing some test shots with my K-3 today, using the HD-DA 15mm ED AL Limited. I was looking for best sharpness across the frame, and finally determined that if I went to manual focus, set the focus just slightly closer than infinity, used ASA 100, and stopped the aperture down to f11, I could get pretty good sharpness from infinity to just a few yards away across the picture. My big problem, however, was chromatic aberration - quite noticeable at the edges in the RAW file. Because I selected CA correction from the K-3's menu, the from-the-camera JPG file minimized the CA and it looked pretty good. However, I prefer to work from the RAW file and tweak it in Photoshop Elements 10 to get the best possible JPG file. So my question is this. For those of you using Elements for PP, how in the devil do you correct RAW files for chromatic aberration? I hate to lose all the advantages of working with the RAW file simply because I can't discover any CA correction for this lens in Elements.

Can anybody who uses Elements help me out here, or is RAW CA correction just not possible with this software? Or do I need new software?

Thanks in advance -

John

09-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

what I do, (I have CS5.5) but is time consuming and probably not the best way I'm sure, is zoom in to about 200% and use my magic wand to select the CA color. I use about a 16 on color and non contiguous. After a couple wand clicks to select the color I expand my selection about 2 or 3 pixels and then feather it by 2 pixels. I then completely desaturate my selection to gray. MOST of the time this works pretty well. There is a CA correction slider but I personally think it deteriorates the IQ and if you have only very limited spots here and there, it will actually appear to overcorrect areas not needed.

Now that I think about it, I also have preset for removing moire, that might work on CA as well... I may have to try that. I know I've started using it for color noise in my higher iso photos and it works pretty well for that
09-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is no Lens Correction feature in the Elements version of Camera Raw but there is a workaround. The link below takes you to a page at Elements User and a tutorial video. I couldn't get it to run online but you can download the MOV file (it is small) and view it local.

Removing Chromatic Aberration with Elements – Photoshop Elements User
09-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
There is no Lens Correction feature in the Elements version of Camera Raw but there is a workaround. The link below takes you to a page at Elements User and a tutorial video. I couldn't get it to run online but you can download the MOV file (it is small) and view it local.

Removing Chromatic Aberration with Elements – Photoshop Elements User
Many thanks for the reference. It's a bit complex, but I'll study it and apply it as necessary. I wish there were a 1-click solution to this problem. For now, the in-camera correction to the JPG files works well, and although I'd rather play with a RAW image, it may be easier just to manipulate the JPG file. Again, thanks for the link!

John