Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vzbx Quote
I developed the same RAW image (PEF format) with these 3 softwares: Pentax Digital Camera Utility, Adobe Camera Raw and Silkypix Developer Studio.
Perhaps I misunderstand but -

- if you are going to make these subtle comparisons between how a raw processor (Silkypix) renders a file in it's own native format (PEF) then,
wouldn't you have to do the same with ACR and have it render the same image not in PEF but in DNG to make the comparison truly comparable?
Or, perhaps, I'm just missing something.

BTW ACR 7.2 is ancient now its up to ver 8.6 on my machine.

10-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ACR and LR both have native support for PEF files coming from K-3, so there should be no difference. And besides we are comparing the rendering regardless of the RAW format.
10-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
it render the same image not in PEF but in DNG to make the comparison truly comparable
Have you ever noticed a difference in image output when using a DNG file vs. PEF or any other raw file format using any software?

M
10-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The thing I hate the most about comparisons of RAW software such as this one is that people always want to look at the default settings as if they expect to input the photo into the software and have it by default put out a photo they are happy with.

If I did it that way, I'd probably choose a different software than what I have actually used or do use. For instance, by default, I have noticed that Silkypix does a decent job. But, if I go through the process to actually get the photo to a product I like, I actually like Lightroom the best (with the limited software I've tried). I also factor in the ease of use of the software and features. At the time I made my initial comparisons (I owned a K10d, LR and Silkypix were at version 3), LR was easier to use and had more flexibility. It also had some spot healing tools, and I found it's color adjustments much nicer than anything else.

More recently, I'm finding that DxO is the best by default, but it essentially applies a whole series of auto adjustments from the beginning. I still have to tweak the file to get what I want. However, after doing that, I still like DxO the most although I still think Lightroom is more intuitive to use. I've never given Capture One a great try, but I've seen that its colors are spectacular.

My current goal for comparisons is to try and process a file to a similar end with all software and see how close I can get the results. I then look at which results are best and were easier to achieve. Ease and Quality of the final report are most important to me. Defaults don't mean a whole lot.

10-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
The thing I hate the most about comparisons of RAW software such as this one is that people always want to look at the default settings as if they expect to input the photo into the software and have it by default put out a photo they are happy with.

If I did it that way, I'd probably choose a different software than what I have actually used or do use. For instance, by default, I have noticed that Silkypix does a decent job. But, if I go through the process to actually get the photo to a product I like, I actually like Lightroom the best (with the limited software I've tried). I also factor in the ease of use of the software and features. At the time I made my initial comparisons (I owned a K10d, LR and Silkypix were at version 3), LR was easier to use and had more flexibility. It also had some spot healing tools, and I found it's color adjustments much nicer than anything else.

More recently, I'm finding that DxO is the best by default, but it essentially applies a whole series of auto adjustments from the beginning. I still have to tweak the file to get what I want. However, after doing that, I still like DxO the most although I still think Lightroom is more intuitive to use. I've never given Capture One a great try, but I've seen that its colors are spectacular.

My current goal for comparisons is to try and process a file to a similar end with all software and see how close I can get the results. I then look at which results are best and were easier to achieve. Ease and Quality of the final report are most important to me. Defaults don't mean a whole lot.
Yes to all that (except the particular software names...). Comparing defaults is like comparing camera jpgs.
10-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yes to all that (except the particular software names...). Comparing defaults is like comparing camera jpgs.
And what is really best depends on the user's preference and what software you actually try.

I think the one thing people tend to forget is that Photography is an art and what we find pleasing depends on our own preferences all the way to the process (just like some of us like street photography vs. landscapes vs. portraits, etc).