Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

Okay, so, I just got this software, and I am already regretting it. It's horrible, I installed exactly, cannot get it to open with Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, it doesn't seem to support DNG images (going to the image, and clicking open with)...

Any ideas on this?
Thanks

10-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try opening an image and then launching Silver Efex as a plug-in within CS6 (Filter> Nik Collection...).
10-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Brooke Meyer

Been using Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 since CS3, CS5, CS6 and now CC. Open DNG in ACR, then open image in PS/ CC. Select Filter, Nik Sivekr Efex.
10-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #4

Silver Efex Pro is installed as a plugin in Photoshop and hence it cannot be accessed by right clicking the image. You have to open the DNG file as a regular raw file in Photoshop and then initiate Silver Efex Pro from the filters menu of Photoshop.

10-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked under the filter option, and it wasn't there. Unless I didn't do something properly during the installation.
10-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Works fine for me with lightroom and photoshop. It doesn't edit DNG images, no. Lightroom exports high res TIFFs to it. I don't remember whether photoshop shows you that it's doing that or not, but it probably is behind the scenes.

BTW - you can get a bunch of custom presets here (original link is dead but the archive one still works)
http://web.archive.org/web/20120211074716/http://www.niksoftware.com/addons/index.php
10-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Okay, so, I just got this software, and I am already regretting it. It's horrible, I installed exactly, cannot get it to open with Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, it doesn't seem to support DNG images (going to the image, and clicking open with)...

Any ideas on this?
Thanks

From where did you buy it?

Google has owned the Nik Suite for a couple of years now and only sells it as a suite. And I don't think they don't do serial transfers since there is no serial number involved with the new Google version (there is a watermark in the specially loaded installer).

10-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright, I got it figured out, it was there but for some reason it just didn't want to show up in my photoshop, so I restarted my PC and there it was.
10-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
there is no serial number involved with the new Google version.
Maybe not in Windows, but there definitely is for the Mac version.
10-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Maybe not in Windows, but there definitely is for the Mac version.
Very odd. Are you sure you're using the Google version?

I know the older Nik version had a serial, but even on Google's own website they mention no more serial numbers.

https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3435888?hl=en

QuoteQuote:
I am trying to activate the Nik Collection, but I do not see where to enter the Product Key?
QuoteQuote:

One of the improvements to the Nik Collection is the change to the activation process - there is no longer the need to enter a Product Key number to activate. We have taken care of the activation part on our end, and will send you individualized download links for your already-registered software.
The registered software is different from the trial software, so if you have installed the trial and need to activate it to the permanent version of the software, please contact us to receive your download link. We will send you your registered installation file, and that will overwrite the trial that is currently installed.
10-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very odd. Are you sure you're using the Google version?

I know the older Nik version had a serial, but even on Google's own website they mention no more serial numbers.

https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3435888?hl=en

[B]
Google has owned it for a long time. They've had several google versions. When I bought it, there were serial numbers. They may have discontinued that at some point.. maybe when they added analog efex to the suite.
10-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Google has owned it for a long time. They've had several google versions. When I bought it, there were serial numbers. They may have discontinued that at some point.. maybe when they added analog efex to the suite.

Google announced their buyout in November of 2012 and their first release in March 2013. So it wasn't THAT long ago.

I don't think there have ever been serial numbers on the Google versions. I've had Nik software before Google bought them and right after. That was actually one of my initial questions after Google released their first version... the serial number entry since I didn't see one.

Here is the email back on March 26, 2013:

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Nik by Google.

The good news is that due to the release of our updated Nik Collection, there is no more need for product keys and activation.

The upgrades and bugfixes will be made thought automatic updating.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or visit support.google.com/nikcollection to call our Customer Service Department Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

Best Regards,

Paulo

Nik by Google, Inc.
Perhaps Mac was somehow strangely different though. But I really don't see why Google would setup one system without serials for Windows and not do the same on Mac. Very strange.

In any case, OP claims they are sorted now.. so ok. But also strange they somehow bought a Nik version of the software. Unless it was second hand or new old stock at which point you may want to contact Google and see if they will upgrade to their suite. They had a deal where if you bought any of the Nik plugins within 5 years of Google's first release, they upgraded you to the whole suite (since there are no individual sold plugins nor have been by them).
10-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Alright, I got it figured out, it was there but for some reason it just didn't want to show up in my photoshop, so I restarted my PC and there it was.
Ah, the Microsoft Salute. IBM invented Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Microsoft made it famous!
10-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, that is so true!

And yes, even with the Windows version there is a serial number required.
10-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

But also strange they somehow bought a Nik version of the software.
It still says "Nik" everywhere. The name of the software package is Nik Collection. The software only mentions google in the "about" section where it says "Nik collection by google." One might easily be forgiven for calling the software by its actual name without bothering to mention the company that owns it. I certainly don't say "Adobe Lightroom" every time I talk about using LR.

I don't even know why the heck we're talking about serial numbers. You brought up something about serial transfers in the first place, the OP never mentioned anything about serial numbers.