Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #1

From Aperture to Digikam & Darktable

I've been using Aperture for a few years and have thousands of pictures mostly in RAW, tagged and catalogued. Because of switching to Linux, I'd like to replace Aperture. Digikam seems to be the best option for cataloguing, viewing, presenting. For slideshow, it displays the embedded JPEGs, so the photo is displayed identically if shot in RAW+JPEG.
The only downside is while exporting RAW->JPEG for print, the default RAW processing differs much from the JPEG. In Aperture, the difference was minimal, only visible in red colours for me.
Does anybody have a Digikam profile for post-processing, where the results would match OOC-JPEGs?

As a work-around I also tried Darktable, where the inbuilt base-curve should be present for Pentax K-x, the exported photo was much better looking then from Digikam, but still not the right one...
Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks,
Peter

10-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
In Darktable you should apply the settings to where you are satisfied then save the STYLE , it is easy to re-apply to other pics after.
What I find is there is a general style for a particular camera but each individual picture will usually need tweaking. There
is never a one fix for all raw files.
10-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #3

Hi,
I also use Digikam for managing my photos, it's very good standalone and even better with a central mysql and nfs server.
I was unable to get more pleasing colors from raw comparing to camera JPGs so I started searching for alternatives, the quick fix was http://www.xnview.com/ with a very competent batch processing, getting most things right.
Now I'm using RawTherapee Blog with the profiles from adobe http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=How_to_get_LCP_and_DCP_profiles mainly because I prefer the user interface.

Daniel

ps: Veteran linux user, rookie raw photographer.
10-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I concur with Bob. Developing raw files in a standalone program means you need to do a lot of the work yourself that the jpeg engine in the camera used to do for you. If you do not like the tone curve, then adjust to taste and make a Style (darktable's version of a preset).

Jack