Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just Getting Started

I just subscribed to the Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop suite and I have questions. I've used Corel Paintshop Pro for some time but wanted to step up to a more capable processing platform and at $10 a month it's hard to beat.

So for my initial question with no doubt more to follow: when I import files into Lightroom, where are they stored? When I am working on an image I assume that the original is still intact in the original location but I just want to be sure. I prefer to keep the original unmolested and work with a copy.

10-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You don't import files into Lightroom in the same sense that you do in a bitmap editor like photoshop or paint shop pro.

The way Lightroom works is that you tell it where your images are stored and it makes a catalog of them. All of the work you do on an image is stored in a database *NOT* the file. Lightroom never changes the original file, it is a non-destructive editor. You process the image to your liking and the last step is exporting it in the format that you need. At any point you can step back in the history of edits that have been made to an image. You can go back all the way to the original image.

I highly suggest that you watch some tutorial videos and maybe buy a book or two. Lightroom is *very* powerful but it is built for a specific workflow. If you don't understand and use the workflow it is built for you'll get really frustrated.

Edit after reading your message more closely:

The Import window in lightroom lets you select the destination and file structure for where you are storing the raw files. You can manually copy files to your hard drive and organize them how you like and then "import" them in Lightroom as well although that adds a step that seems pointless to me.

There are a lot of options on the import page of Lightroom. You can specify the location to store files, whether to move files to a new location or use them where they are, whether to convert proprietary raw formats to DNG during import or not. Lightroom can be set to copy raw files to a second location automatically during import as well. You can also apply basic edits from user made presets, copyright info, metadata, etc automatically on import.

Another edit:
I recommend the book "Photoshop CC and Lightroom: A Photographers Handbook" by Stephen Laskevitch. In the photography classes that were part of my print production certificate program we used the CS5 and LR3 version of that book and it was excellent.

Abe

Last edited by Homo_erectus; 10-10-2014 at 06:16 AM.
10-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you are used to PSP then the way photoshop CC works will be somewhat familiar but very different. If you don't like learning by reading then I suggest going to Adobe TV. There you will find instructional videos on everything you might want to know and be able to do with both Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC. Take your time it will seem a tad complex at first but once you understand the basics then it will get much easier. I use Photoshop much more than I do Lightroom only for the factor of I started using it along with PSP many years ago, finally setting PSP aside as I learned things were so much easier and better in Photoshop.

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV
Products | Lightroom | Adobe TV
Learn Photoshop CC | Adobe TV

I suggest looking for and studying the basics first
10-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Next question: I enabled sync but from what I see it looks like that is only helpful if I have an ipad, which I don't. I have an android tablet and a laptop PC. The CC suite is installed on the laptop but there doesn't seem to be an android app for the tablet or smartphone unless I'm missing something. How does sync help me? Does it also sync with the laptop so I see the same images and results there and on the desktop? Do changes made in one environment get synchronized with the other?

10-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I do not have creative cloud and I only use the Creative Suite on one computer so I can't help you with the sync questions. Hopefully someone else knows or you could try looking through the Adobe support forums and resources.
10-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The only thing you really need to sync for is once a month for subscription check and for updating the software unless you plan on storing photos. I mostly have it shut off.