Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just an observation

Just thought I would share this with the forum and see if anyone has any insights.

I took some shots of the eclipse of the moon during the week in RAW format, and uploaded them to my PC. I opened them using RAW Therapee which is my usual RAW viewer, and they were so noisy it was hard to see the moon at all! The noise on the image was like you used to get from an analogue tv with a wire coat hanger for an aerial, and any attempt to cancel it out was useless.

I had a look around for another RAW viewer to get a second opinion, and ended up downloating a plug-in for GIMP called UFRaw. Once I'd installed it and got it working, opening the same images in the new viewer and hey presto all the noise is gone.

So I'm a little confused, how can two different applications which are both opening the same image have such different results?

Anyone seen a similar effect?

10-12-2014, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Out of interest if you delete the original image in RAW Therapee and open a new uploaded version of the same image, is it still the same?.

I'm just wondering if it was to do with upload to the PC/Raw Therapee that's the culprit in this case.
10-12-2014, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know that Picasa often shows my DNG files as a psychadelic noisy mess next to the jpeg, but opening in Elements resets the base points so the image looks like a raw file should look. Picasa also uses a common conversion tool, dcraw or one of those.
10-12-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Just thought I would share this with the forum and see if anyone has any insights.

I took some shots of the eclipse of the moon during the week in RAW format, and uploaded them to my PC. I opened them using RAW Therapee which is my usual RAW viewer, and they were so noisy it was hard to see the moon at all! The noise on the image was like you used to get from an analogue tv with a wire coat hanger for an aerial, and any attempt to cancel it out was useless.

I had a look around for another RAW viewer to get a second opinion, and ended up downloating a plug-in for GIMP called UFRaw. Once I'd installed it and got it working, opening the same images in the new viewer and hey presto all the noise is gone.

So I'm a little confused, how can two different applications which are both opening the same image have such different results?

Anyone seen a similar effect?
There generally will be a lot of visible noise if no color noise reduction is applied to a high-iso raw file; many (most?) raw converters do this by default. So my guess would be that this might be the culprit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2014, 04:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks, some useful ideas. I'll have a try with some similar shots in the next week or so and see if I can nail it down. Or maybe not...