Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

Learn to use lightroom 5

Hey everyone Ive tried searching around here but had no luck.

What Im looking for is some of you professionals out there or otherwise skilled editors to give some input on the easiest way to learn lightroom.
Ive found a bunch of short posts here and there about how do do specific things but I'm looking for one thing to teach it to me start to finish that way the process doesn't change from teacher to teacher and help confuse me even more

On youtube I found this string of tutorials and Im wondering what some of you guys who use lightroom everyday think if you browse through a few videos of his.
So far I made it to video five, I dislike how often he reteaches simple things video to video though which makes the process take far longer than it needs to, but overall I've learned a lot more than I have and faster than using the adobe online tutorial videos.

Ive also heard that there are a few books that are very good for learning from so anyone with a book recommendation or possible a website/youtube link would be greatly appreciated and would probably help a lot of us out.

11-02-2014, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #2

I find Serge Ramelli's Lightroom videos on Youtube to be the best. he has heaps of them there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A7F058E0B6C95F4
11-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uf, I'm still on LR 3
But good resource nonetheless
11-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Products | Lightroom | Adobe TV

11-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

I watched Mr. Morganti's #21 video to Lightroom to learn more about HDR images. I use Photoshop daily but am new to Lightroom.
was really helpful on showing me not only more about lightroom, but how to create a set of bracketed images into one very large image with more bit depth (32 bit).
11-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
the process doesn't change from teacher to teacher and help confuse me even more
Actually with both Lightroom and Photoshop, the fact the same thing can be done a multiple number of ways, makes it far easier to fit in with the way you work, rather than the other way round i.e. you fitting in with the way the software works.

I would suggest to you, just getting tore into it and Google when you need to do something special or that your not familiar with.

Or ask the question here on the forum.
11-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
So far +2 for anthony , one for adobes tutorials and a serge

11-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old school. Pay $40 for a 700-page book (by Martin Evening). Because... um... you guys... no one says... um... UM in a book.

Martin Evening wanders sometimes but hits just about everything, tells you why in addition to how and mentions alternatives. And six months later, when you forget some detail about the Blacks slider, try to find it in a video.
11-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a great lesson for beginners, often you look and affects the result, but in 1-2-3 months of constant training, you will do just as well and you can even post their lessons.
This is not as difficult as it seems at first glance - the main practice !!
11-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
I find Serge Ramelli's Lightroom videos on Youtube to be the best. he has heaps of them there.
totally like Serge, he is a French too
03-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #11

It's been a while since the OP mentioned Anthony Morganti but I didn't find a better place to ask:

In the first few of his Lightroom 5 lessons Morganti seems to go rather radical on highlights and shadows (-100 and +100 respectively) for all his photos (or maybe just all landscaped). I'm not in a position to question that but would love to understand why he does it. Would you do the same for all your photos, or just for some, based on what criteria?
03-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
It's been a while since the OP mentioned Anthony Morganti but I didn't find a better place to ask:

In the first few of his Lightroom 5 lessons Morganti seems to go rather radical on highlights and shadows (-100 and +100 respectively) for all his photos (or maybe just all landscaped). I'm not in a position to question that but would love to understand why he does it. Would you do the same for all your photos, or just for some, based on what criteria?
Here's an explanation for the -100/+100 for highlights/shadows by Serge Ramelli, who uses the same technique routinely for landscapes --
In the video he also explanes when it won't work
03-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #13

Thanks,
I guess I was intuitively getting the idea, but it's good to have the simple things explained.
03-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting he does what I pretty much do in LR which I mostly came up with by trial and error.