Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is your favourite Photoshop plugins ?

Hey there,
I just use Photoshop for a few months (since I bought my K5 IIs in June) and I use PS plugins a lot, below are my favourite plugins :
  • Imagenomic Portraiture : easy to use for retouch portrait, as I shoot people a lot, this is my must have !
  • Nik software Color Efex : huge collections of presets to choose from, somtimes I have some ideas in mind and browse through Color Efex presets to see what it's gonna look like. Presets can be combined to make a stronger effect !
  • Nik software Silve Efex Pro : the best B&W converter for me, a lot of B&W "style" to begin with.
  • Topaz Remask : great tool to make mask when I want to remove object/background or fine tune a subject in particular
  • Photomatix HDR : plugin for lightroom available, but I use the standalone version to combine HDR shot with a lot of options to make the photo more realistic/surealistic
What is your favourite plugins ? what you use them for ?
Thanks for sharing

Last edited by redcat; 11-06-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Update plugins list
11-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Topaz DeNoise, for when even ACR isn't enough to get rid of the noise at very high ISOs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, I've never try Topaz Denoise, but I did try Topaz Remask, it is a great tool for removing object/background
11-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Really try not to use photoshop ever, the only time I use it is to remove stray droplets from my splash photography, other than that I just use light room and dx optics , if I'm forced into doing pics of people rather than the things I enjoy shooting then I may use portrait pro but as a stand alone, although I believe there is a plug in for ps

11-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I kind of like redynamix, it's a faux HDR plugin that can greatly enhanced local contrast if used cautiously. I tone down their standard settings and it helps give photos a 'punch'. You can use a trail version to check it out and they also have a standalone software.
11-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Hey there,
I just use Photoshop for a few months (since I bought my K5 IIs in June) and I use PS plugins a lot, below are my favourite plugins :
  • Imagenomic Portraiture : easy to use for retouch portrait, as I shoot people a lot, this is my must have !
  • Nik software Color Efex : huge collections of presets to choose from, somtimes I have some ideas in mind and browse through Color Efex presets to see what it's gonna look like. Presets can be combined to make a stronger effect !
  • Nik software Silve Efex Pro : the best B&W converter for me, a lot of B&W "style" to begin with.
What is your favourite plugins ? what you use them for ?
Thanks for sharing
There is another one, Noise Ninja, but I use it less now that i have a lightroom. I remember it was big during early mid-to late 2000s.
11-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Topaz DeNoise, for when even ACR isn't enough to get rid of the noise at very high ISOs.
+1 Does wonders in removing noise...

11-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for sharing !!!
QuoteOriginally posted by cybertaff Quote
other than that I just use light room and dx optics
oh, thoses plugins are available for lightroom too, they are sometime very helpful
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
redynamix, it's a faux HDR plugin
sorry, what is faux HDR mean ? I usually do HDR using HDR Photomatix, but it's a standalone software (maybe a lightroom plugin but not ps plugin)
Noise Ninja
I've heard of that one, maybe I'll give it a try
11-06-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Thanks all for sharing !!!

oh, thoses plugins are available for lightroom too, they are sometime very helpful

sorry, what is faux HDR mean ? I usually do HDR using HDR Photomatix, but it's a standalone software (maybe a lightroom plugin but not ps plugin)

I've heard of that one, maybe I'll give it a try
Faux HDR is when you take a normal low dynamic range image and tone map it to look kind of like an HDR image. Here's the plugin:
ReDynamix, 32/64 bit Photoshop plug-in, HDR from single file
11-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Faux HDR is when you take a normal low dynamic range image and tone map it to look kind of like an HDR image
ah ha, interesting ! I'll definitely give it a try thank you !
11-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

i usually use niks color and silver efex pro, as well as viveza. i also use topaz adjust sometimes and I like the sepia tones in the topaz b&w effects. for noise reduction, i prefer the simplicity of noise ninja. works well for me.
11-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
as well as viveza
Never use that before but will try it out for sure, thanks for sharing !
11-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I really like another one from Topazlabs - Topaz Detail. It makes wonders pulling out the details. And at least partly I can agree with the Topaz that it is not leading to artifacts typical for sharpening with USM or other filters.
11-08-2014, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Free noise remover

I can also give credit to one of the free PS plugins. It's name is Boundary Noise Reduction. I tested this against some "leading" commercial plugins and found it better then some of them. This one has not many controls, but works which is also big plus for me. Moreover I think many PS noise removal plugins are overpriced.
11-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have said Topaz a few months ago but I have used the PerfectPhoto a lot lately and find it to be fast and powerful.