Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Do they still offer camera updates to, say, LR4?
They do for Camera Raw for CS6, but I'm not sure about LR...
And if they don't then at some point you're forced to upgrade because your K-FF isn't supported, regardless of new features...
I'm not sure what the updates were to LR4 as I've only had version 5, but besides some interface changes there's not a whole lot of things you can do to improve the software. Making it faster/more efficient on slower systems would be a huge improvement for me, however.

11-10-2014, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
Making it faster/more efficient on slower systems would be a huge improvement for me, however.
The trend is exactly the opposite and even if I like to dream a different world, everything will be "cloud", "on demand "and similar. How sad.
11-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
The trend is exactly the opposite and even if I like to dream a different world, everything will be "cloud", "on demand "and similar. How sad.
Precisely. Cloud-based features also translate into subscription services, which I hate with a passion when it comes to software. What was wrong with a one-time payment for the program? Even if it was a little expensive...
11-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

The upgrades to each version at this point are usually not worth it imo. Same goes for Photoshop, I have CS6 and CC doesn't offer anything that makes me want to get it immediately. LR 5 will probably be just as useful in 5 years without the need to upgrade.
Unless you plan on keeping the same camera and lenses, I strongly doubt it.

That is the main sticking point with LR -- the camera and lens profiles only come with new versions; Adobe never back updates the profiles when newer camera products are released, they simply add them to whatever the current version is. So, if you get newer lenses or cameras, you either create your own profiles or are forced to upgrade if you want them.

11-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Unless you plan on keeping the same camera and lenses, I strongly doubt it.

That is the main sticking point with LR -- the camera and lens profiles only come with new versions; Adobe never back updates the profiles when newer camera products are released, they simply add them to whatever the current version is. So, if you get newer lenses or cameras, you either create your own profiles or are forced to upgrade if you want them.
I don't really use the camera and lens profiles at all. I've never had to use them, as I adjust everything myself. They're not necessary if you know how to handle the software, so in that sense what I said still stands true. No need to upgrade in 3-5 years.
11-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you upgrade your cameras regularly it is always a good idea to have he latest version so you can rely on getting the latest camera profiles and lens corrections.
11-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't really use the camera and lens profiles at all. I've never had to use them, as I adjust everything myself. They're not necessary if you know how to handle the software, so in that sense what I said still stands true. No need to upgrade in 3-5 years.
This is true.
To be honest, even when I use lenses profiles, I always need to change the settings. I have tried to avoid to use them and it is just a little bit slower, but it works.

11-11-2014, 02:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This is not always possible, sadly.
Think about the distortion correction, for instance: were it a perfect barrel or a perfect pincushion distortion you'd just have to drag a slider and you'd be done...
Actually, from what I've seen, it's mostly non-linear, so you can't do it by hand.
You could create a lens profile for your lens-camera combination, but with multiple lenses, zooms, etc. it quickly becomes a nightmare...

Then again, it depends on the lenses... older SMC-M primes have so little distortion I never correct them at all...
11-11-2014, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #24
Forum Member

This is not always possible, sadly.
Think about the distortion correction, for instance: were it a perfect barrel or a perfect pincushion distortion you'd just have to drag a slider and you'd be done...
Actually, from what I've seen, it's mostly non-linear, so you can't do it by hand.
You could create a lens profile for your lens-camera combination, but with multiple lenses, zooms, etc. it quickly becomes a nightmare...

Then again, it depends on the lenses... older SMC-M primes have so little distortion I never correct them at all...

You'd only have to correct distortion on very poor wide angles. On 90% of shots you most likely won't need to correct anything, or won't mind the very slight barrel distortion created by some lenses. I could see myself worrying about constantly upgrading camera and lens profiles if I was a profesional landscape photographer for an important publication, though.
11-11-2014, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

You'd only have to correct distortion on very poor wide angles. On 90% of shots you most likely won't need to correct anything, or won't mind the very slight barrel distortion created by some lenses. I could see myself worrying about constantly upgrading camera and lens profiles if I was a profesional landscape photographer for an important publication, though.
This is true. It could be acceptable a little distortion if you are not a professional shooting with a very wide angle lens.
11-11-2014, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Lightroom.
A logical and practical tool from the start (import) to the end of the workflow, and it gets better with every version...

Aperture has recently been discontinued, so I would avoid it...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...ure-users.html
I would avoid Aperture unless Apple has a fire sale on it. You can always hang in a bit longer and see what Apple Photos for OS X will be like. I'm an Aperture user and that's the path I intend to follow for now.

DXO was giving away DXO Optics Pro 8 recently. It's an older version of their software but it's not bad at all.
11-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem with upgrades isn't the profiles as much as just plain support of the files from our cameras.

If you shoot PEF files, you won't find the ability to use whatever the next camera is with the current version of LR. LR updates have the ACR updates built into them. I'm not sure whether this issue would occur with the DNG files, but it could. Then again, I suppose one could always get the DNG converter, which is external and essentially free (last time I looked).

LR with a subscription would have to be cheap and offered as standalone. I'm not going to pay $10 a month just for LR, which is what I would essentially be doing since Photoshop is not something I use daily.
11-14-2014, 01:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
The problem with upgrades isn't the profiles as much as just plain support of the files from our cameras.

If you shoot PEF files, you won't find the ability to use whatever the next camera is with the current version of LR. LR updates have the ACR updates built into them. I'm not sure whether this issue would occur with the DNG files, but it could. Then again, I suppose one could always get the DNG converter, which is external and essentially free (last time I looked).

LR with a subscription would have to be cheap and offered as standalone. I'm not going to pay $10 a month just for LR, which is what I would essentially be doing since Photoshop is not something I use daily.
Yes, I believe you'd have to convert everything, essentially doubling the disk space you need for RAW images (as I believe you'd like to keep the original file as well)...
11-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote

It probably won't happen with DNG.