Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SensorKleen Pro 2.0

Does anyone have experience with this product? I have Fisheye Pro and it works pretty well. I know how to clean dust spots with LR and Photoshop but it can be pretty tedious. This product would be nice to have but it seems pricey at $99.

11-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I didn't try it but usually I'm not so happy with "automatic" things. Sometimes is very easy to reove it in PP, some other times is a hard work, depending obviously from the background. In the beginning, I was doing it very quickly, but I discovered that edits and export in low resolutions makes these areas more evident. I think that even using a tool like that, then you should check if the work was made accurately, wasting a lot of time. Is this so convenient?
11-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I didn't try it but usually I'm not so happy with "automatic" things. Sometimes is very easy to reove it in PP, some other times is a hard work, depending obviously from the background. In the beginning, I was doing it very quickly, but I discovered that edits and export in low resolutions makes these areas more evident. I think that even using a tool like that, then you should check if the work was made accurately, wasting a lot of time. Is this so convenient?
Thanks. This is what I have been thinking also. If it is was $10 or $15 it might be worth a try but $100 for something that very likely will be of minimal help is not. Maybe someone will respond who has used it. We will see. Anyway, thanks for your confirming thoughts.
11-17-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Maybe someone will respond who has used it.
It would be very welcome, maybe it really works very well.

It is not strictly for the money in my case, just because I'm paranoid, so I know that I would check it accurately later... So, it would be more or less useless.

Anyway, for that amount, maybe it really works, if not I don't think that they are selling it ...

11-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Isn't it easier (&cheaper) to just actually clean the sensor?
11-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Isn't it easier (&cheaper) to just actually clean the sensor?
Even if you clean the sensor and mount a zoom lens, after a while you are using it, the sensor may have dust over. Dust is blown inside by the zoom itself, sometimes.
11-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Even if you clean the sensor and mount a zoom lens, after a while you are using it, the sensor may have dust over. Dust is blown inside by the zoom itself, sometimes.

Yeah I know that, however you won't notice any dust until f11+ and that in skies mostly. Using rocket blower every once in a while should have you covered.

11-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Yeah I know that, however you won't notice any dust until f11+ and that in skies mostly. Using rocket blower every once in a while should have you covered.
True, usually, but dust spots can sneak in and show up in photos later when all you can do is remove them in post processing. That is why the company thinks there is a market. Mirrorless cameras seem particularly susceptible.
11-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't see spending $99 on a program like that. I'd have to see how well it does when dust spots show up near the edges of something in my images. That is usually where spot healing and cloning get a bit tricky.

As it is, I find that dust spots are something that I rarely end up having to hassle with, and I do a good job of using a rocket blower and cleaning the sensor when things get really crazy.

Ultimately, dust spots really only bother me when they show up in the sky or other uniform patches of an image, and as such they are usually easy to fix. LR is pretty good for syncing such spot fixes, too.