Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good Lightroom deal on Fleabay...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I picked up a copy off the following listing by making a Best Offer of $210.00 + shipping. I just checked and there are 5 copies left. Just in case anybody is interested--

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for Windows and Macintosh NIB - eBay (item 110252745304 end time May-23-08 19:10:52 PDT)

Heather

05-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heck, I'll sell my license key for only $100. Adobe requires seller and buyer to both sign a form for transfer of the license, but it is doable.
05-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #3

Wow, thank God I am a student. B/c I bought this software for $98!
05-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank God I know a student who can get it for me for $98

05-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Thank god my wife's a teacher and can get it for $98
05-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thank God the internet is a big place.
05-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank God I don't use Lightroom any more.

05-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Thank God I don't use Lightroom any more.
And why would that be?

I find Lightroom quite capable.

The only thing I dislike is the lack of distortion correction.

Raw Therapee is free and it has some features Lightroom doesn't. One thing it doesn't have is hot pixel mapping, which is quite annoying.
05-21-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately, not all of us are students or teachers or are married or otherwise related to one or the other. I don't understand why there is such a big price difference between the academic version and the retail version. I can understand teachers and students getting a little bit of a break, but being able to get it at 1/3 of retail?

On the other hand, even as good of a program as it is, I think it has been a bit overpriced at retail. I think that $200 retail would've been a lot more reasonable for those who aren't academically connected.

Heather
05-21-2008, 04:08 AM   #10
Banned

Adobe products are good (despite what some might say) but I agree all of there products are overpriced regardless of what they offer.
05-21-2008, 05:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

adobe products are overpriced because they are very easy to hack

i have been quiet for a very long time but i get the feeling that ATLEAST 50% of this sites users dont have a clue what the term "software piracy" even is, either that or they hold a distincly negative view of it.

however software piracy for the most part applies to personal individuals, someone that has a business and needs graphics programs is actualy better off purchasing a full licence to lower their income and keeping things legit incase of an audit.

adobes products are priced high because THEY KNOW that a good chunk of their customers dont actualy purchase their licences, so they offset this discreprency.

remember you are buying nothing more than a CD key, the program has already been developed, and there is nothing to manufacture, and i'm quite certain boxed sets have been reduced since you can just DOWNLOAD IT without ever having to leave your house, fork over your cash and get a CD key and viola, good for the enviroment and less junk around your house.

this particular "DEAL" that is mentioned in the first post is not a deal at all.

what guarantee do you have that the user simply didnt keep the CD key for themselves? You can use the same CD key to complete an instalation of multiple programs, so you'll never know.
05-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what guarantee do you have that the user simply didnt keep the CD key for themselves? You can use the same CD key to complete an instalation of multiple programs, so you'll never know.
CS2 and CS3 phone home with product activation and only allow two installs per license that are not supposed to be used at the same time (think desktop and laptop).
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
CS2 and CS3 phone home with product activation and only allow two installs per license that are not supposed to be used at the same time (think desktop and laptop).
Yes, or Desktop at Work and Desktop at Home.

They also allow you do "deactivate" a system (say the work desktop) and activate on another system (like a laptop) if you go on a business trip for example.

after the trip you can deactivate the laptop and re-activate the work desktop (or so they claim).

I don't know how it works when your laptop is stolen or something like that while it's activated ?

I just had my desktop crash on me (came a burning smell out of the PC and the harddrive is completely dead) so I was unable to deactivate my software so I hope Adobe can do something for me.
05-23-2008, 05:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
adobe products are overpriced because they are very easy to hack

i have been quiet for a very long time but i get the feeling that ATLEAST 50% of this sites users dont have a clue what the term "software piracy" even is, either that or they hold a distincly negative view of it.

however software piracy for the most part applies to personal individuals, someone that has a business and needs graphics programs is actualy better off purchasing a full licence to lower their income and keeping things legit incase of an audit.

adobes products are priced high because THEY KNOW that a good chunk of their customers dont actualy purchase their licences, so they offset this discreprency.

remember you are buying nothing more than a CD key, the program has already been developed, and there is nothing to manufacture, and i'm quite certain boxed sets have been reduced since you can just DOWNLOAD IT without ever having to leave your house, fork over your cash and get a CD key and viola, good for the enviroment and less junk around your house.

this particular "DEAL" that is mentioned in the first post is not a deal at all.

I agree to this to a certain extent. In that, your reasoning might only apply to individuals using the product.

I think their prices are actually reasonable, relatively inexpensive actually, when you look at it from a business perspective.

Take CS3 Master Collection. Everything included. From an individual, freelance designer perspective the $2499 price tag is outrageous. But if you look at it from a business perspective, say a large marketing firm, this price is totally reasonable.

$2499 for 19 industry standard applications is a steal!! A new version of Microsoft Office is $499!! Many enterprise applications can run $100K!
05-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

I bet adobe and other companies release the cracked versions of their software just to get people to use it, learn it and master it, in hopes that later on when they start using it a lot they will throw down some chee$e and buy it.