Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Develop big picture?

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place.

My uncle has a vacation house in the Florida Keys that we often go for boating and fishing etc. This past weekend we caught a somewhat big fish and my uncle had the following idea:

Take a picture of the head and a picture of the tail, have it both developed at the same size of the 70" TV we have in the living room so as to place them adjacent to the TV and have the TV as the body of the fish.

I took the shots and he loved them but since I have a K50 (16 megapixels sensor) I was having doubts whether we could develop such a big picture and not have it look pixelated?

11-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now it is too late, but in these situations you can take maybe 12 pictures of the different particulars of the head (using a tripod) and then stitch them together with photoshop or any other software. Then, the same for the tail.
11-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If the pictures are good quality (lens stopped down, no motion blur, low ISO, no excessive PP etc.) then I believe you can blow a 16MP image up to 2*3 meters...
You'll need your skills to be at their sharpest, and it won't hurt to use a decent lens either...
11-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-50 should give an image of 4900 x 3200. Top quality printing would be @ 300dpi, but for viewing from TV distance likely 200 dpi would be OK. So 4900 / 200 = 24 inches and 3200 / 200 = 16 inches. So you can print with reasonable quality a 24 x 16 inch image. Using up-sizing software you could go even larger though perhaps at the expense of some image quality.

11-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
If the pictures are good quality (lens stopped down, no motion blur, low ISO, no excessive PP etc.) then I believe you can blow a 16MP image up to 2*3 meters...
You'll need your skills to be at their sharpest, and it won't hurt to use a decent lens either...
You can print so big only if you look at it from very far...
11-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
You can print so big only if you look at it from very far...
Bigger prints are usually looked at from farther away...

I believe that all this need for high resolutions is a little exaggerated...
We are talking only about 62in x 37in (or roughly 1.5m x 1m), so that would make it about 78dpi on the horizontal, then there's gonna be some cropping (2:3 -> 16:9).
Granted, it will not be something you can look at from too close, but I bet it's going to be pretty slick nonetheless.
11-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It's all about viewing distance, and from the distance you are watching that TV, it should be fine. You figure,m roadside billboards are routinely made from 16MP or smaller images. The rule of thumb for a 10 foot viewing distance is 50-75LPI, so you should be good if LensBeginner's figures are correct.

If you are still worried, you can always try something like Alien Skin Blowup.
I have done rough calculations and approximations based on a diagram with dimensions of a 70" (nominal size) tv.
Many 70" tvs are actually 69.5" or so, thus you could have 62-63-something inches by 37-38-something inches.
It shouldn't be off by much however.

And I'd second Alien Skin Blow Up, really fine piece of software.
11-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A consideration can also be the medium you'll have it printed on.

For instance, I find that printing on canvas lets you get away with less resolution and still look good. Other formats might have similar results.

11-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would say just upsize with bicubic and apply a decent amount of sharpening. People have lots of different opinions what is the best method.
I would spend some 30 minutes googling it if I were you, since big prints are expensive. I have printed 16x24 from an 8 megapixels 4/3rds dSLR. You could only see softness if you looked for it, about a foot away, so I am sure 20x30 inch will be completely fine.

A quick look at luminous landscape (great website btw) gave me these two useful links:
Maximum upsize stratergies
The Art Of The Up Res | DigitalPhotoPro.com

Someone there mentioned alien skin blow up, so that makes it +3.

---------- Post added 11-26-14 at 06:08 PM ----------

That makes me think, if you are worried, make a crop and print this crop in 8x10 inch, which is cheap with different methods of sharpening. Write on the picture, what method did you use and there you go, you can determine the best method experimentally.