Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Streaming Photoshop: Adobe’s plan to bring PS to the cloud

For better or worse, I guess it is coming sometime in the future....
QuoteQuote:
We have seen Photoshop work in a browser, and it looked pretty good. "Streaming Photoshop" is Adobe and Google's plan to bring the incomparable photo editor to Chrome OS and the Chrome Browser. We covered the original announcement, but we were recently given the chance to talk to Adobe about the project and see it actually working in a Chrome browser.

11-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
For better or worse, I guess it is coming sometime in the future....

Pretty scary !

I think I just might stick with the "old" CS5 for a while yet.
11-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Pretty scary !

I think I just might stick with the "old" CS5 for a while yet.
I'm agree with you but I KNOW that it will happen in few years. It is the future.
11-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I'm agree with you but I KNOW that it will happen in few years. It is the future.
Yea, everything in the cloud with stupid thin clients on your lap or table top, with leased software subscriptions the norm. No pay, no use...

11-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yea, everything in the cloud with stupid thin clients on your lap or table top, with leased software subscriptions the norm. No pay, no use...

I'm not very sure about the no pay no use... You know, there will be always copies of that software available on the net, if you want to search illegal stuff.
I think that I will definitely move to open source. I have discovered that there are a lot of alternatives that even if are not at the same level so far, they are growing up very fast!
11-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote

As a matter of utmost curiosity, I've Google'd some stuff regarding "cloud security":
There are at least 462,000 results upon searching "the security risks of cloud computing"

I've just linked down a few from the first page ...

Gartner: Seven cloud-computing security risks | InfoWorld

9 top threats to cloud computing security | InfoWorld

The Top 5 Security Risks of Cloud Computing

The Biggest Cloud Computing Security Risk Is Impossible to Eliminate - Network Computing

8 Reasons to Fear Cloud Computing

But ... this is something, as mentioned above, that we don't have much control over now, do we ?
11-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

this is something, as mentioned above, that we don't have much control over now, do we ?
I think that who controls the market is the final consumer. So, the answer is YES, we have control on this.
Apple said few years ago that in the future the iphone would have been "little", never big as other brands, because they didn't need a big display to make a great phone. Look at the last one.
This is just an example, but there are hundreds of cases like that.
11-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't see cloud-based Photoshop working too well anytime soon, at least not in the U.S. Generally speaking internet connectivity in terms of speed and bandwidth lacks in this country. Network speed is almost always a limiting point in computing speed, which I see running files through my own intranet at home and so forth. I can't imagine how editing a photo will work and what data will have to move where.

It might work ok for Office and more text based applications but not in situations where our desktops are often running at their max.

11-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not to be snippy but I saw this one coming. :P

NO, just NO. I don't want to compute in a cloud. We've all seen how secure the cloud bit actually is. I have a legal copy of CC. It was supposed to be checking licensing every 90 days and doing it unobtrusively. Well, guess what in the several months I ran it Adobe CC called home CONSTANTLY. It was a total PITA. Plus until they patched it a few times it was a bit glitchy. They used my required Adobe ID account email to spam me about a zillion times too, trying to get me to pick up the rest of the suite until I blocked them with a spam filter. I couldn't block PS from connecting constantly with a firewall. Block it and it would shut down after a while.

So basically my PC was constantly connected to Adobe, and unless I wanted it to be I couldn't even use the darned software. Sorry, but that's not ideal for me. I like my PC a bit more secure than that. I don't like to just leave it connected when I am not online. I turn my connection off after I am done and unless I am actively upgrading them I usually block most programs except for my browsers and that from going online unless they get permission from me. It's just common sense security-wise not to allow every program on your machine to keep you connecting all the time. These days even with a firewall and that you can't be too careful. My cable might be on and connected all the time but my PC isn't. When I'm not online like this the internet is blocked, period.

After a while I decided that it just was not worth it. I went back to CS6, put on my block list as usual, and that's where I am staying. I don't mind activating once, but this cloud subscription/constant license check thing is total nonsense. The only thing this benefits is Adobe's bottom line. I don't feel like being held hostage every month to a payment system. I don't like being required to verify that I'm a legal user every other day, and I will not just settle for doing all my work online in a cloud. I knew this was coming. I knew it would not be long before they would be pushing people to use the software from a cloud, only while connected.

Of course they want that. That gives them total control over who uses it all the time, and gives them a captive audience of people in hock to them paying every single month for the privilege. I've added it up. It's not less expensive for me to pay by the month. It's more for the same programs when you add it up over time. Yeah, I'd be constantly brought up to date, using the latest version. Woo woo. I actually don't care about having the newest version every year. Not when at this point. CS6 can do everything I want and then some.

I think subscription Adobe CC is lame and I think working in a cloud is dumb. I'll be sticking with CS6 and/or using other programs now as well. Adobe won't be getting any more of my hard earned $$$ in the future. I'm done with upgrades. I hope they're happy with that idea. It might not matter to them. Maybe they're getting enough people who like this crap to make up for me and folks like me. But personally I'm a little ticked at them and I'm actively starting to use and support other graphics programs that I might never have used just to get away from using them...

Last edited by magkelly; 11-24-2014 at 12:03 PM.
11-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a couple of reasons I do not like cloud systems:
1. Sometimes my internet is unreliable, or I want to take my computer somewhere where I do not have internet access - and I can still work with local applications. Cloud apps - I would not be able to do what I like to do.
2. I would need high speed reliable access at all times - tried using internet in a hotel room (apart from the fact that normally hotels charge per night a big proportion of what the internet costs me per month at home - perfect case of monopoly supplier syndrome.) Many hotels offer slow internet because the capacity is not enough for all their customers to get online at the same time.
3. Privacy of my content - why do I want my pictures put all over the place just to process them.

Another advantage of local applications: they do not get version changed just when a vendor chooses. Once I get to know how to do what I want to do I like stability for a while and I do not want to have to relearn new versions just any time the vendor chooses to change what was not broken. Think how Office changes with versions - some functions you like get hidden somewhere, some functions you liked get taken away completely - how irritating. I like to migrate at a time I choose - not when under pressure to get some big job done.