Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 for photos and ... TV ?

Hi folks!
I am not even sure of this can be posted here since it is not about Pentax, except for the photo sharing part discussed below.

Very new for the Galaxy Note 8.0 which I just received this week.
Great little tablet which, besides me using it to store and share some photos, my wife is also using to write her books! She uses the Handwriting to Text feature and it is fantastic!

Now for me ... I need some help and hope to find some answers here or maybe someone will redirect me to the proper authorities!

The Note 8.0 has a feature that allows to use the tablet a "remote" for your "Smart TV" . I think this is great ... however my HDTV is not a "smart" TV, i.e.: does not have a built-in WiFi connection.
It does have HDMI and USB options though which I believe can be used to connect "something WiFi".
I'd really like to be able to use this tablet to stream my photos (Pentax "produced") to the TV.

My question:
Is there a way to "make" my TV behave as a WiFi enabled TV and be recognized by the Note 8.0 "remote" option?

There are tons of gadgets (dongles, etc ...) out there and this is what really confuses me.
BTW, the TV itself is also a Samsung ... not "smart" unfortunately.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

11-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The simplest way, by far, is to get a Google Chromecast. I see you're in Quebec, at futureshop and other retailers you can purchase it and during Black Friday you'll get 20$ in Play Store credit. The chromecast is a HDMI dongle, and you will be able to cast many things to your TV, from your tablet. Images, music, videos, youtube, netflix, you name it.

By creating a Google Drive folder with your pictures in it, you can even have a permanent slideshow running without using your tablet.

It's really a great little thing.
11-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The simplest way, by far, is to get a Google Chromecast. I see you're in Quebec, at futureshop and other retailers you can purchase it and during Black Friday you'll get 20$ in Play Store credit. The chromecast is a HDMI dongle, and you will be able to cast many things to your TV, from your tablet. Images, music, videos, youtube, netflix, you name it.

By creating a Google Drive folder with your pictures in it, you can even have a permanent slideshow running without using your tablet.

It's really a great little thing.
This is awesome !

We don't have a Future Shop here but I can always check if "The Source" has it ... never know.
Just saw that Walmart have it ... worth going there over the weekend and see if they have it available in store here.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

JP
11-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Google Chrome cast is a very good start. But photos and videos can easily overwhelm the storage capacity of your tablet computer. Add a Corsair Voyager air hard drive to that, and you have a good portable solution to retrieving and sharing your pictures and videos, Along with any other file that needs to be backed up or shared. The Voyager air can also give you access to your pictures from other devices. your phone, desktop computer, any device that is Wi-Fi enabled. And it is totally portable. With up to seven hours battery life. If you need extra storage, this seems like a great way to go.

11-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
We don't have a Future Shop here but I can always check if "The Source" has it ... never know.
Just saw that Walmart have it ... worth going there over the weekend and see if they have it available in store here.
They can ship without additional fees.

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Google Chrome cast is a very good start. But photos and videos can easily overwhelm the storage capacity of your tablet computer.
1-True, if you use full-res images. when I store images on my phone or tablet, I downgrade them to whatever I need.

2-By using an online folder, you are not really limited regarding memory capacity.

3-The chromecast can display images stored on a network drive