Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
? printer for wife ?

Hi,

Need help buying a photo printer for my wife to use. I have my images sent out for printing and have no clue on what to buy.

Her requirements are :

- ability to print directly from her Apple iPhone 4 (very important / is this what wi fi is used for) and SD memory card from a Panasonic P&S

- stand alone / able to print without connection to PC

- primarily 4 x 6 prints

- smaller size unit for space considerations

That's about it. She prints pics infrequently. Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited by zman; 11-29-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: forgot word entry
11-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little dye sublimation printer might be just the ticket. Dye Sub & Thermal Printers | B&H Photo Video The Canon Selphy, for example, is small, makes only 4 x 6 prints, the cost per print is not too high, and unlike an inkjet printer it needn't be used frequently to avoid clogs. I have one of the older models and it costs about 30 cents per print, print quality is good. I am not familiar with the Vue Point dye sub listed first.
11-29-2014, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gave my wife a Canon Selphy 910 for her Christmas present. She didn't wait before opening her present. Shots straight out of her Pentax X-5 are MUCH BETTER than kiosks, and the ink doesn't dry out (the Selphy is die sub) so it doesn't cost anything when the printer just sits for a while. The Selphy also seems to recognize when she changes exposure, something that our local kiosks seem to completely ignore.
11-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Selphy 910 is AirPrint compatible. Should work with an iPhone with no problems.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

11-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should have mentioned that we are using it wi-fi. My bad.
11-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks folks for all your help. The Canon Selphy 910 is perfect for my wife needs. I appreciate all the feedback so quickly. With the Black Friday / Cyber Monday this week, I'm hoping to find a nice deal.
11-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Thanks folks for all your help. The Canon Selphy 910 is perfect for my wife needs. I appreciate all the feedback so quickly. With the Black Friday / Cyber Monday this week, I'm hoping to find a nice deal.
It's $90 direct from Canon. BuyDig has it for $3 less. Doubt there will be any better deals.
12-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Hi,

Need help buying a photo printer for my wife to use. I have my images sent out for printing and have no clue on what to buy.

Her requirements are :

- ability to print directly from her Apple iPhone 4 (very important / is this what wi fi is used for) and SD memory card from a Panasonic P&S
- stand alone / able to print without connection to PC
- primarily 4 x 6 prints
- smaller size unit for space considerations

That's about it. She prints pics infrequently. Thank you for any suggestions.
Suggest checking out Kodak products. In the past they have been competively priced in the UK (don't know how they are where you live). They were also good for Paper and Ink costs at the same time (very important). You could also try the Net for reviews / best buys, if you are into that, but do check out costs of consumables and longevity as well. For printing pictures of a larger size "very? infrequently" an external lab is still probably the most cost efficient but check to see how they crop first!