Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Processing Noise Out

I have a strong interest in learning how to remove/reduce noise. Can anyone steer me towards some helpful Photoshop/Lightroom tutorials? Maybe I don't need Noise Ninja or Topaz Denoise? Anyway, I want to learn how to clean up my high ISO K-3 and K-5 photos, and, more importantly, the many potentially good but noisy photos I have from all my old cameras. I've recently re-discovered these old photos, and they are now nicely organized into my Lightroom 5 catalog! It wasn't so long ago these old photos were stored on stacks of disks, and I could never find the image I was looking for without going through a big, tedious search. Amen to progress! But of course, many of these photos from earlier digital cameras have a noise problem!

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-01-2014 at 05:30 PM.
12-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
I have a strong interest in learning how to remove/reduce noise. Can anyone steer me towards some helpful Photoshop/Lightroom tutorials? Maybe I don't need Noise Ninja or Topaz Denoise? Anyway, I want to learn how to clean up my high ISO K-3 and K-5 photos, and, more importantly, the many potentially good but noisy photos I have from all my old cameras. I've recently re-discovered these old photos, and they are now nicely organized into my Lightroom 5 catalog! It wasn't so long ago these old photos were stored on stacks of disks, and I could never find the image I was looking for without going through a big, tedious search. Amen to progress! But of course, many of these photos from earlier digital cameras have a noise problem!

Thanks,

Dave
I disagree with DCshooter. I think noise ninja is not nearly as good as Topaz denoise I think you should get the free trial of denoise and noise ninja (assuming they have one) and make up your own mind.
12-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube which may help.

Personally I use Photoshop elements where noise control is not too good. I also use Lightroom which is far superior in my opinion. I also use Topaz denoise which I find better again with far more control. Free trials are available for Topaz products. I can't speak for Noise Ninja.
12-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You can do noise reduction very effectively with Lightroom. I'd study Lightroom's capabilities in depth before opting to add additional software to do the job.

For Lightroom noise reduction, it's particularly useful to learn about the masking slider when sharpening, and using the selective adjustment brushes.

There are lots of good guides and tutorials around for doing noise reduction with Lightroom. This one from Adobe is a good place to start:

Reducing image noise in Lightroom 5 | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

A bunch of good tutorials on all sorts of Lightroom topics are also here:
Adobe Lightroom tutorial

12-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

i havent really worked with Topaz, but I used to work a lot with Noise Ninja. I then tried Niks Dfine and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it works. Havent looked back since
12-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My advice is to shoot in/work with RAW whenever possible. ACR does a great job of reducing noise and it lets you control the balance between noise reduction and detail retention. It can certainly get time-consuming, though.

Topaz is great when all else fails, and it can save you a lot of time in the long run for very noise images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've not tried Noise Ninja, but I've used Neatimage, Topaz Denoise, and Nik Dfine. I've found that they all work well under certain conditions and not so well under others. However, I try to do as much as possible in LR and save the special software for critical conditions. Most of the time, what looks really noisy on a screen is not so bad once printed out. Pixels are much bigger on a monitor than they are in print.
12-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The PRIME feature in DxO Optics Pro 10 is wonderful at noise reduction