Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Banned

Gimp is not freeware, how can I download it

Gimp is not freeware! It's open source software.
So how can i download it ?

Last edited by hiepelines; 01-01-2015 at 08:13 AM.
12-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's still free to download and use...
Check the download page on the Gimp site:
GIMP - Downloads

You might want to know what Open Source means:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
It's actually much better than freeware, which is a closed-source model.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 12-02-2014 at 04:08 AM.
12-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #3

Yep, it's still 100% free to download and use.

One very important thing to watch out for:

There are a few scams doing the rounds with a third party charging to download open source software. Usually the scammers buy advertising from Google, which means that their link is the top of the search results (above that small faint print about "sponsored links", which is Google's way of maintaining the fiction that you can't buy your way up their ranking). The link to the real site will be lower down. If you don't know that this goes on and click the first link on the page...
12-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

... and 3rd party software download sites also add risks of malware. Be very careful to avoid those sponsored links.

12-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hiepelines Quote
Gimp is not freeware! It's open source software.
So how can i download it ?

It is free software and more. GNU (general public license) Image Manipulator Program (GIMP) http://www.gimp.org/about/COPYING

Use link provided by @LensBeginner
12-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
It is free software and more. GNU (general public license) Image Manipulator Program (GIMP) http://www.gimp.org/about/COPYING

Use link provided by @LensBeginner
I like to keep the distinction between "free" (as opposed to "paid") and "freeware" (in the strict sense, meaning "executable provided for free, but source is closed"), however in the broader sense, yes, it's free ware
12-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I like to keep the distinction between "free" (as opposed to "paid") and "freeware" (in the strict sense, meaning "executable provided for free, but source is closed"), however in the broader sense, yes, it's free ware
I won't argue with your well consider distinction. So it is free, open source, and GPL copyleft. My kind of software.

12-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
I won't argue with your well consider distinction. So it is free, open source, and GPL copyleft. My kind of software.
For a better world!