Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photoshop CS4 / DA* 60-250

So I got my DA* yesterday, went out yesterday and took some shots with it and the 55-300 for comparison. No comparison, better contrast an everything.

Except that CS4 doesn't recognise the lens in the EXIF. PhotoMe does, so is there a way of 'telling' CS4 what the lens is?

---------- Post added 02-12-14 at 14:03 ----------

Found what the problem is but not (exactly) the solution. My old version of Photoshop doesn't have a lens profile for the DA*. There's a long involved process to make one which I could follow, but has anyone already got one for this lens?

12-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's becoming an old version of Photoshop. I believe all lens profiling information is embedded within ACR. Have you updated ACR to the latest possible version?

M
12-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I have the latest ACR I can use with my version of Photoshop.
12-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Yes, I have the latest ACR I can use with my version of Photoshop.
Which version is that?
Thanks,

M

12-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photoshop is CS4.
12-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photoshop is CS4.
Sorry I was unclear.
What is the latest version of ACR that works with CS4? I think ACR is the key to lens ID.

M
12-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll check when I'm at my desktop, but it is whatever the latest that can be used with CS4 is.

However since I'm only concerned about a few of the images - the ones I upload to Flickr and so on - I think I can amend the EXIF on those few images with Windows Explorer.

Finding a batch way of being able to select photos and apply the change to all would be good though.

12-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is that you are only able to run ACR 5.7, which is ancient in digital dog years. The last Pentax formally supported is the K-7/K-X. Of course you can still use it well to process DNG files, but lens profiling is too old to include the DA * 60-250mm. If your version of ACR doesn't include the 2012 process engine, then I'd recommend an upgrade because of the strong improvements.

Finding a batch way of being able to select photos and apply the change to all would be good though.
Lightroom and ACR share the same engine and much functionality. Perhaps ACR can do this, but in Lightroom you can make adjustments to a single image, copy the desired settings, and paste them into other selected images. Very quick.See if ACR can do this. I'd also recommend checking the Adobe online profile library to see if anyone has come up with a specific profile for your lens that you can then install in CS4.

M
12-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have looked at the online library and the profile for the 60-250 isn't there. I have a LR demo downloading, possibly using that and keeping Photoshop in reserve for tricky images will work for me. The better I've got with ACR the less I do in Photoshop so it may well work for me, though for very quick edits of JPGs I find Windows Photo Gallery is good.

I also plan trying to create a profile for the lens, once that is the second tripod release plate turns up. I'm not sure it can be used with my old software but someone else might find it useful.

When CS5 came out I couldn't see a good reason to upgrade from CS4, then I managed to miss the boat with CS6 (was also no longer an Open University student) and I don't like the idea of $10 per month in perpetuity.

If I'm happy with the trial of LR that's probably the way to go. It's not horribly expensive and it should resolve my EXIF problems. CS4 / ACR5.7 won't accept the PEFs from my camera but it's quite happy with the DNGs and so am I.

If there was a simple tool out there that would let me select images in a window and change the lens type & maker en-masse that would do as well, but lots of googling has failed to find one.

Just for now I can edit the lens type on the few photos I want to upload to Flickr using windows explorer.
12-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've downloaded the latest Lightroom and I think it does it all. It took ages to import and I have a number of old PSD files which need resaving for it to be able to import them, plus it found a few broken JPG files. It knows about my fab new lens, I can 'edit' the DNG and export as 800- and 1024- pixel JPGS - those are the sizes I use for uploading - and I can also edit using CS4, and the EXIF for the lens doesn't get lost unless (possibly) I use save-as from within Photoshop.

So now to see how much Lightroom costs...

I will have a go at the lens profile as well, and I need to get importing right - imported into the wrong directory from my Nexus 4. Unfortunately it simply finds all images etc. on the phone instead of letting me drill down to the correct folder for the camera. I can't map a network drive to it either.

Last edited by cats_five; 12-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.
12-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't map a network drive to it either.
Read up on Publish Services. I have my NAS mapped to LR, as well as DropBox, Smugmug, Facebook, and my own hard drives.

I need to get importing right - imported into the wrong directory from my Nexus 4.
That's a user configuration issue. I prefer to move newly shot images into specially dated folders on a hard drive. These, in turn, get imported into LR. In LR I use collections and key words to organize images in multiple ways. Over seven+ years and 160,000 images it seems to work OK.

I'd also advise you to let LR do the image rendering when you make round trips to-and-from CS4. The LR rendering engine is notably better.

M
12-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No problem with mapping drives to my NAS (I've done that) but the way I changed mapping them to the Nexus failed. Unfortunately it appears as a network device not a removable HDD when I plug it into the PC. However there might be other ways of doing this.

ps this was mapping in windows

Last edited by cats_five; 12-04-2014 at 11:47 AM.