Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Photo editing software.

I learned how to use Photoshop for graphics long ago and that's been my primary choice for photo editing. However it's expensive and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. On the other end of the spectrum is Paintshop Pro X7. Lightroom is a couple of hundred more and if there's a benefit I'd be willing to switch.

Can someone tell me what Lightroom can do that Paintshop Pro can't? And if they can both do the same what makes Lightroom the better choice?

Thanks...Blake

12-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CS2 is now free to the public. It works just fine. The only catch is Adobe does not suporrt CS2 anymore.
Adobe Photoshop CS2 Free Download - TechSpot
12-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
CS2 is now free to the public. It works just fine. The only catch is Adobe does not suporrt CS2 anymore.
The only catch it is not free. The Adobe download page clearly states that the downloads are for users that have previously purchased a valid license.
12-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This compares Lightroom to Photoshop, but it applies to Paintshop too.

Photoshop Versus Lightroom Which is Right for You?

The bottom line is that Lightroom is a workflow system for photographers rather than an image editor.

12-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Theres always the Gimp which is free. It is pretty capable but it does come with its own learning curve.
I use Gimp and Darktable but then I can't stand Windows anymore so I run Linux.
12-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Adobe Photoshop CS2 Free Download - TechSpot
That release is the one I used extensively prior to drifting away from it because of price. I think I'd go back to. One thing though is I have an Intuos tablet and I don't think the pressure sensitive brushes function with CS2.
12-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

In my opinion GIMP would be an excellent alternative, if it worked with 16bit files. Until then it is Photoshop CS6, for which I have a license.

Actually I have no problem with CS6, though it was a bit pricey upfront. The Creative Cloud is also an option if you don't mind a monthly fee.

If I had a choice between Lightroom and Paintshop Pro, I would personally choose Paintshop Pro but for one problem. If you work with RAW images then PaintShop Pro is just not in the same league as Lightroom or Photoshop. However, if like my wife, you prefer to work with jpeg images then Paintshop Pro is a terrific photo editor. The tools will take some time to get used to if you are presently a Photoshop user but IMHO they are every bit as strong.

And the price is certainly right.

12-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #8

Thought about checking open-source/freeware programs like digiKam (cataloging and basic raw processor) and GIMP (photo editor, but indeed no 16bit capability)?
12-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The development version of GIMP (2.9) will work in 32 bit, however, last time I used it it was quite memory hungry.
Digikam is a richly featured cataloguing package, but my preference for raw processing is Rawtherapee.
12-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
...but my preference for raw processing is Rawtherapee.
+1 for RawTherapee (which I completly forgot to mention). Use it myself as my main raw processor
12-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you look there was recent post on the free CS2, and it gave another site than adobe to download it from--apparently with no requirement of prior license. Works fine for at least up to the Q and K-5, and the raw files. If you used photoshop it seems like a natural.
12-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #12

I use mostly DXO Optics Pro, RawTherapee, Xara Designer Pro and Zoner PhotoStudio.

GIMP so far has been a bit complicated to me, but really want to learn to use this program.
12-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a combination of Lightroom and Nik Effects for the most part. Lightroom can do 95 percent of the editing I need to get done. It can do simple cloning/healing things, fix white balance issues, crop/straighten photos. Those are probably the big things.

For big clone jobs, I use an older copy of Photoshop Elements.

I guess a lot depends on what you are wanting to do.
12-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeaceFroggy Quote
+1 for RawTherapee (which I completly forgot to mention). Use it myself as my main raw processor
I find RawTherapee excellent for highlight recovery (K5 DNG files)

I currently use Sagelight which I find fast and easy, but it is not great at masking unfortunately. Works well for tonal adjustments on RAW and JPEG, has some useful tools including a good noise/definition tool. It also can be used with PS plug-ins, for instance I use Topaz DeNoise from Sagelight. Also useful is Helicon Filter- I think you can get older versions free, actually I prefer v4 to v5
12-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
That release is the one I used extensively prior to drifting away from it because of price. I think I'd go back to. One thing though is I have an Intuos tablet and I don't think the pressure sensitive brushes function with CS2.
I dunno, for me the $9.99 per month for both the latest editions of Lightroom and Photoshop with continued upgrades for no additional charge is well worth it more to me than the $600 per upgrade I paid previously. So I have to give up a couple double cheeseburger meals per month at SmackDonalds or something. Before someone chimes in about the Cloud thingy you work off your computer not the Cloud, unless you choose to up load to it..