Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #1

Is it time to abandon Aperture?

Over the past few years as I have gotten into photography I have built my workflow using Apple's Aperture application. While not as robust as Adobe LR , I have found it actually quite easy and powerful as a organizational tool as well as for simple postprocessing. My understanding is that Apple will no longer support this application and I'm wondering if now is the time to change my ways. Would appreciate any words of advice from the forum.

12-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi,
true, Aperture has been discontinued.
There's no telling what it might do with the new "Photos" application... for now I'd suggets you shortlist Lightroom, DXO 10 and Capture1...
12-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why? It still works. Photos will be out in a few months. Chances are the transition will be seamless, much more so than Aperture->Lightroom.
12-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why? It still works. Photos will be out in a few months. Chances are the transition will be seamless, much more so than Aperture->Lightroom.
From what I've heard, I think Photos will be a much more mainstream software... I might be wrong though.

12-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

If memory serves, the Aperture way of storing images is the same as iPhoto. Given that, I would only consider migration seamless if you have working/verified backups
12-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have quit Aperture and gone to LightRoom full time. Aperture was my solution for post-processing & catalog management, plus made it easy to manage photos between the Mac and iPad. Waiting for K-3 support caused me to completely reorganize my workflow to LightRoom and a Galaxy tablet. Since then, the announcement that Aperture had reached its last update has not convinced me to start using it again.

---------- Post added 12-04-14 at 12:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
If memory serves, the Aperture way of storing images is the same as iPhoto. Given that, I would only consider migration seamless if you have working/verified backups
Aperture is the solution. iPhoto was the problem.
12-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
Aperture and iPhoto use the same library now. They use the same core services for processing photos. The only thing that is different now is the user interface.

From what little we have seen of Photos, really just a screenshot of the developer alpha, we can surmise that there will be a basic interface for the iPhoto users, and advanced features for the Aperture users. It's not going to be a professional app. Apple concedes that Lightroom already had most of those users.

12-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Apple will no longer update or maintain Aperture. That means features and functionality will slowly begin to break as OS X and the hardware platform is updated. Aperture will not suddenly stop working in the near term. I continue to use Aperture for all of my processing.

Apple Photos is the replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture. The general public doesn't really know what it will be capable of or not. There is an assumption that Apple will not abandon the basic image engine of Aperture. That would make sense for migration. Nobody wants to lose the adjustments they made to images. I got the impression that Apple will not be designing or implementing advanced image manipulation features into Photos. They will rely on plug-ins. I see this as a trend Apple is following with trying to monetize customization and advanced features for all of their products. Take a look at what Apple did with custom keyboards with iOS 8. You can finally have Swype but it will cost you $1-$2. Same thing with ringtones way back. Remember how some people went ga-ga and bought ringtones for $0.99? Going back to Photos you can imagine buying plug-ins from the App store for features like noise reduction, custom dodging/burning brush shapes, etc. The burden on Apple is now much lower since the development has now shifted to 3rd parties. All Apple needs to do is maintain the framework and some basic features.

Anyways, that's just my guess.

Personally, I have been very happy with Aperture. Whether on accident or on purpose, I believe Apple designed a very nice workflow structure - for me.
12-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Apple announced Aperture is no longer being supported, but Aperture input is through their camera import software, so it will continue to be updated for new models, and I just received a new release, with sharpening and detail sliders that weren't there before, maybe this is the last one I don't know, but if you have an older version, there is an update, and the camera profiles continue to be improved, so I'm not sure what the issues are. What I need here to discontinue Aperture use is a reason to do so. The fact that Apple is no longer updating hardly qualifies. If you're ever had your plug-ins disabled by a new version of your photo software, you might think that was a good thing.
12-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is about how much we know about Photos...

Everything else is really just conjecture...

Photos for OS X Yosemite: Explained | iMore
12-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
Forum Member

On iOS 8, Apple introduced an API for plugins to perform non-destructive edits on photos. Of course it's effectively a 1.0 release and is not yet perfect, but if that's the direction they're going on the desktop as well, the "new and improved" Photos app could be really good if they get the plugin API right. Time will tell.

I'm still using Aperture because it still works fine for my purposes.
12-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I would agree, at least for now. If the software you are using does the job for you, then why change? At some point in the future, you obviously will need to find a different editing solution but for now, I would continue to use what you have.
12-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

This is about how much we know about Photos...

Everything else is really just conjecture...

Photos for OS X Yosemite: Explained | iMore
So far, I like it...
12-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by gan Quote
Is it time to abandon Aperture?
Aye, abandon ship, women and children first...
12-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #15

I'm sorry about the fate of the Aperture - it was the good and lovely friend...