Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need advice on Panorama software...K3

Im needing some good advice on what Panorama software to either purchase or download that suits my needs.
Ive used Microsoft Ice a little with my Point and shoots in the past with single row , and a bit with the K30 on single row.
Also tried PTGui free version last week with the K3 and single row.......When I say "a little" that means less than an hour on the later.

Mainly I will be doing at the most about 6-8 shots in up to 3 rows (24 Shots)
Most often I will be doing 4-6 shots in 2 rows(12 shots)

My first #1 requirement is that it (((preferably))) will be supported for RAW import/export .
My Second #2 requirement it not be limited to smaller files , but can handle large if needed (see above)

Almost bought the PTGui simply because I have a 10% off coupon.....That makes it about $170 and alot of people use it for extreme Panos , which I probably will not do as I have no desire to so may not need anything even close to it ?
Almost bought Photoshop , but then heard it would only support up to about 300mb so I passed without knowing anything else pertinent to the above.

However I have NO idea if I need to purchase "anything" as maybe there is something available that is free ?

Im just beginning to shoot and play with RAW so I dont even know for sure if I need it to export the final image in RAW , but do think I need it to be able to handle RAW images ?
As you can see.....Im rather lost , and just dont want to make a bad decision for me.

****Currently Im running Canon software for image processing that came with a Prosumer Camera about 4-5 years ago. I kept the disk , but returned the Camera the 3rd day ( worse I ever owned ). I need updated on everything badly ! But....the pano software wasnt bad at all .

Can some of you experienced point me in the right direction ? Thanks !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-10-2014 at 11:29 AM.
12-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used Gigapan, Autopano Pro, and Photoshop CS6. I have not used Autopano Giga. That being said, I also no longer have the desire to create gigapixel panos (although it was fun for a while). 95% of my panos these days are single row vertical or horizontal comprised of two or three images. With my D800 that gives plenty of print size to work with. With the K-3 a bit less so. In theory Autopano Pro should be the better product for any kind of pano given all its features but every once and a while I come across a stitching that Photoshop does better -- go figure. So the fact is, I use both. If I were still obsessed by multi-row panos APP and APG are highly recommended.

Michael
12-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If PTGui is cheaper than AutoPano get that...
12-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I have used Gigapan, Autopano Pro, and Photoshop CS6. I have not used Autopano Giga. That being said, I also no longer have the desire to create gigapixel panos (although it was fun for a while). 95% of my panos these days are single row vertical or horizontal comprised of two or three images. With my D800 that gives plenty of print size to work with. With the K-3 a bit less so. In theory Autopano Pro should be the better product for any kind of pano given all its features but every once and a while I come across a stitching that Photoshop does better -- go figure. So the fact is, I use both. If I were still obsessed by multi-row panos APP and APG are highly recommended.

Michael
Like you I will probably want something for extremes if needed (like an upcoming trip to Coyote Buttes and the WAVE). But realisticly my shooting will be probably no more than 6 frames , and lots of 2-6 frames total.
I have read alot about Autopano.....I was suprised it wasnt the very first popular choice on the Nodal Ninja forum......Thanks !

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 12:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If PTGui is cheaper than AutoPano get that...
Can you elaborate on this suggestion ? In your opinion is it better , and why ? Thanks

12-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

Hugin - it's free and quite powerful. Maybe not the best interface (I don't know the others) but definitely gets the job done with a good degree of customization (auto-allignment, manual-allignment if needed, about 10 different perspectives etc). What it doesn't have is RAW support. I export TIFF 16-bit from my RAW processor and stich them like that..
12-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Can you elaborate on this suggestion ? In your opinion is it better , and why ? Thanks
I don't think either one is really better than the other. If you don't need specific features like Exposure Fusion or support for motorized pano heads either PTGui Standard or Autopano Pro should be more than enough.
12-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My price on Autopano pro is just over $110 dollars
Autopano Giga is about $250
And with 10% discount PTGui is $170

I liked Microsoft Ice as it seemed very easy to use. However it didnt fully support RAW.

12-10-2014, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And with 10% discount PTGui is $170
That's for PTGui Pro. The standard version should be around $101 without a discount.

Features of PTGui and PTGui Pro - PTGui
12-10-2014, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was suprised it wasnt the very first popular choice on the Nodal Ninja forum......Thanks !
I think it has to do with the cost -- those French wines aren't cheap either! :P
I should add that I also own PTgui and never really warmed up to it (just a person thing).

Michael
12-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote
Hugin - it's free and quite powerful. Maybe not the best interface (I don't know the others) but definitely gets the job done with a good degree of customization (auto-allignment, manual-allignment if needed, about 10 different perspectives etc). What it doesn't have is RAW support. I export TIFF 16-bit from my RAW processor and stich them like that..
+1 for Hugin.
12-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting footnote. The stitching algorithm used in Autopano was originally developed at the University of British Columbia and released as a program called Autostitch. They still provide a demo version, although it is quite limited. If you follow the link, they also say that the same stitching software is licensed toSerif PanoramaPlus (Windows)and Calico (Mac) - although Calico is no longer available. I haven't used the Serif program, I use Autopano Pro, but the cost is considerably less than the other options.
12-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote
Just because its new to me I downloaded it ! I will play with it some and along with Ice it may be of use...Sure cant beat the price..........Thanks !

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 02:27 PM ----------

PTGui doesnt seem real friendly to me. I can only use the very limited free version for now , but not too keen on the user interface being so busy.
I wish there was a free version of Autopano to give it a try too....but cant find one.
The PTGui sure does come highly touted on the web ? And of course eveyone knows the web is always right....lol
12-10-2014, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I liked Microsoft Ice as it seemed very easy to use. However it didnt fully support RAW.
But you can indeed feed RAW files to MS ICE if you use DNG, or other supported codecs. You may need something like the free MS Camera Codec Pack or similar. DNG's work fine for me.
You can also directly feed it TIFFs, which you could generate directly from your RAW's.
12-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But you can indeed feed RAW files to MS ICE if you use DNG, or other supported codecs. You may need something like the free MS Camera Codec Pack or similar. DNG's work fine for me.
You can also directly feed it TIFFs, which you could generate directly from your RAW's.
Ok...but then I would still only be able to export the final image in JPG or TIFF or DNG.... Is that correct ? Also wont I loose my EXIF data ? Or will I loose that anyway with other Pano programs anyway ? Thanks !
12-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Also wont I loose my EXIF data ? Or will I loose that anyway with other Pano programs anyway ? Thanks !
That sort of goes with the territory. Depending on the software used, composite images may retain a good bit of the exif, though it is hard to say just which source image will be used as the basis.

Steve