12-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. Lots of good ideas.

12-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used a laptop to download photos off of SD cards on a long trip to Iceland. However, I did not erase photos off the SD cards as I think redundancy is important. I would have hated to put photos on a Hard Drive and then lose that hard-drive for some reason. With the price of SD cards these days being so cheap, I'd certainly make certain I have two copies of everything.

Of course with the K-3, I can have that right from the start with the two SD card slots. I'd likely back up the photos to a hard drive and then erase one set of the cards if card space was an issue.

Without that possibility, before I had the K-3, my other method was to carry a lot of SD cards (essentially a bunch of lower performing high capacity cards) and use them for backing up photos at the end of the day. I'd carry a thumb-drive SD card reader and just copy the photos from my camera card to the slower speed backup card. They key was just finding a computer to utilize for the transfer. It wouldn't work if I was out camping, but if I'm at hotels, public computers aren't difficult to come by.
12-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This company has some interesting devices and options for powering them...
https://www.digitalfoci.com/

This device has support for viewing Raw including Pentax .pef

https://www.digitalfoci.com/products/df-photo-solutions/picture-porter-advanced.html
12-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
X2 Colorspace UDMA2. I use mine when traveling without my laptop. I bought the "empty" one and snapped in a 1TB drive.

It shows a 3" image, EXIF data, and histogram for each shot.

12-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Wireless is never going to be as fast as even USB 2.0. The time it takes to dig the USB cable out of your bag and plug it in will be saved before you finish transferring your second RAW file.
I'm sure you are right about wireless speeds for handling large numbers of RAW files. I would probably only use it for a small amount of browsing and uploading only a handful of images. It would be worth a try since using a 8 inch tablet with a OTG connection to a drive is kind of awkward. That would not be the primary reason to get the Colorspace UDMA though. I am thinking about using it mostly for backup for light weight travel when not even carrying the tablet. If I get one then I would play with the wireless to see if I could come up with any kind of acceptable workflow for working with images on the tablet. If it doesn't work no harm done.