Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Display color synchronization with Printer

Hello,

As the title says, I am in search of a device (preferably just one; 2 in 1 options) with which I can calibrate my display colors. They must sync with my printer or viceversa.
The thing is, I found Colormunki Photo to be the necessary bit of hardware, but I can' t find a more recent equivalent.
I' ve sent e- mail to the Colormunki staff and no reply.
Is there some other firm creating the equivalent? I know DataColor, but they make them separately (display calibrator+ printer calibration) .
Also, the whole process sort of eludes me; as far as I' ve read and seen tutorials, you don' t really match the colors with a simple click, you just match them very closely (I may be wrong) .

So if anybody can help me decide, I' m open for suggestions and advices.

All the best!

12-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since it appears that you have calibrated and profiled your monitor--which is critical for good prints--what requirements are driving you to calibrate your printer and inkset and papers? Not saying you shouldn't, but these days there are really good canned profiles from printer and paper makers.

So, what's working and not working?

M
12-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Since it appears that you have calibrated and profiled your monitor--which is critical for good prints--what requirements are driving you to calibrate your printer and inkset and papers? Not saying you shouldn't, but these days there are really good canned profiles from printer and paper makers.

So, what's working and not working?

M
Hello,

That' s the issue. I haven' t.
I' ve pseudo calibrated my monitor by eye, and printing at the local lab for the local lab. But that' s about it. No precise calibration.
For my printer, I haven' t calibrated my monitor and they come off very very dark and very very blue.
I don' t really know what to buy. If I have to buy a simple monitor calibrator or I should buy a printer calibrator as well? Do the ICC profiles of the printer fill my needs?
Those are the main issues. I decided on buying (but not yet bought) the Colormunki Photo because as I said in the thread description, it' s `2 in 1` . I don' t know if I really need it (or I don' t know; that' s why I started this thread) . Plus on the internet (and at the store which sells them here in my country) , nobody can really answer me the previous question.

So if anyone has any suggestion, advice, feel free to enlighten me!

All the best!
12-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Facts are helpful.
Printer?
Monitor(s)?
Print sizes you are outputting?
Have you studied up on color management?

M

12-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Printer: Pixma pro 100
Monitor: Samsung 930bf + laptop (display module from LG)
Print sizes: 10 x 15, A4 & A3

No studies. Played a little in PS CS6
12-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Spyder 4 Pro system. They make a few models, some with more features, some with less. There is also the X-Rite ( Color Munki is an X-Rite model). They both will calibrate your monitor and set a profile to work with your printer. There are also profiles for paper. Color management is a subject that fill large books. It will be worth your while to read up on the subject. An inexpensive calibration tool is far better than none at all. You can spend anywhere from under $100 to 4 or 5 times that. If you're looking to turn professional and doing a lot of printing, it's probably worth your while to learn as much as possible and buy the best but for what it's worth, the couple of professionals I know send their printing out and don't bother with it. I do a good bit of my own printing because I live in the boonies and I can't easily go somewhere.
12-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Printer: Pixma pro 100
Monitor: Samsung 930bf + laptop (display module from LG)
Print sizes: 10 x 15, A4 & A3

No studies. Played a little in PS CS6
Cheesy monitor, if you have a desire to spend money, purchase an IPS-based screen. Then get a calibration puck like Datacolor or Eye1 display pro. I use the latter.
I also recently purchased that printer for like $48 after gimmicks. I think the prints are excellent, but the archival potential is sketchy being dye. But the intensity of the colors are so sweet. You won't need to create printer/paper profiles. I've been using eight different papers from Canon, canson, Epson, Red River, HP, Moab etc. Many have specific profiles for that printer that are excellent. For Epson and HP I use the Canon equivalents with no issues.

Enjoy!

M

12-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hello,

Thank you both for your replies.
Suggestions for good editing monitors, for a max of 270$ ?

Thanks!
12-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Read the links I posted in another thread about monitor calibration to get a better idea of what you need and why.

Here's the thread.
12-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

B&H currently has a deal on the X-Rite i1Display Pro in their daily "Deal Zone" for $154 plus a $25 mail-in rebate to drop it to $129. These last for 24 hours or until sold out.
Deal Zone, Deal of the Day at B&H
12-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
B&H currently has a deal on the X-Rite i1Display Pro in their daily "Deal Zone" for $154 plus a $25 mail-in rebate to drop it to $129. These last for 24 hours or until sold out.

Hello,

It' s a deal indeed, but mailing it to my country, Romania, doesn' t really justify it.

Thank you again!

All the best!
12-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I had no idea B&H were doing a Woot! thing. They even had a Color Passport Checker a few days ago.
Bookmarked for future reference, thanks!
12-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #13

With the Canon Pro-100, you can make a "Pattern Print" which gives you a sheet of small prints with various setting for adjusting color. Making another Pattern Print will allow you to adjust brightness and contrast. With these Pattern Prints, you select which image prints correctly to your eye and then use the corresponding adjustment setting to correct your printer.
12-18-2014, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #14
Inactive Account

Indeed an entire color managed workflow is not that easy to handly, unless you know how ;-)

I find this eBook a good crash course: http://spyder.datacolor.com/scripts/ebook-en/Spyder_eBook_EN_final.pdf
and would also recommend you calibrating your monitor first and trying with icc profiles from the paper manufacturer or using oem inks and paper instead. Works best for me.
12-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hello everybody,

I will buy in the next days the I1 Display Pro and afterwards (a few months after) the Dell U2713HM.
My intention is to calibrate as good as I can this Samsung monitor.
I' ll update the info on this thread as soon as I calibrate the one I have right now and afterwards (if I will be able to buy the Dell) .
Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a photo editing monitor, I' m open for suggestions.

All the best and Happy Holidays!