Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for Linux users..

What photo viewer do you use for jpg? The default viewer on most Ubuntu forks is either Gwenview or EOG. For some reason the images displayed on these viewers are extremely noisy, images that are otherwise crisp and clear on Windows, even on Paint. So far the only one that seems to display normal images is Geeqie, Any suggestions on a Linux photo viewer I should try? I'm running Mint 17.1 Rebecca. For processing I use Gimp w/DCRaw or Rawtherapee.

12-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm running Mint 16 Cinnamon and use the default gnome image viewer. Gthumb and Shotwell are also good and have some basic editing functions.
12-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

Ubuntu 12.04 and using Geeqie here
12-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have Gwenview and find it good, no difference from others. There is an option to enlarge smaller images, could be that.
Otherwise Picasa 3.9 on Wine works very well especially on PEF raw files, shows the actual Raw not the preview jpg.
....Just remembered something, if you are talking about raw files on gwenview it shows the reduced jpg image not the raw file that is
more likely the problem you have.

12-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to hear of more Linux users. Windows drives me crazy when I have to use it - fortunately my company uses Open Source software.

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 and use:
* Gwenview for viewing
* Gimp for editing
* RAW - darktable (I'm a bit of a novice with RAW development though... takes me some effort to get RAW images to look as good as or better than JPG!).

I'm not seeing noise with Gwenview. Are others seeing this?

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 12-30-2014 at 05:36 PM.
12-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're still in a position to decide which OS to use for photography for the long-term, keep in mind that it's difficult to do any serious printing from Linux. This is why I'm on OS X now. It was either that or Windows.

Plus there are many more high-quality editing options available as well (such as Capture One, which I use).
12-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Forum Member

digikam + gimp

Hi,
I am using digikam and gimp.

12-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #8

I am using Ubuntu Studio 14.04.
* GpicView and/or Ristretto for viewing
* Darktable for editing jpg and RAW processing

I am not seeing any image degradation in GpicView or Ristretto when viewing images.
12-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Nice to see other Linux users here as well. I've tried various distros and pretty much settled on Mint. For some reason Gwenview or EoG displays noisy images on my desktop? Color rendition, brightness/contrast are good, it's just noisy as if photos were taken at extremely high ISO. Geeqie seem to be the only viewer I found to display the photos correctly, and so are the editing softwares - even Firefox displays the images correctly.
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'm running Mint 16 Cinnamon and use the default gnome image viewer. Gthumb and Shotwell are also good and have some basic editing functions.
QuoteOriginally posted by PeaceFroggy Quote
Ubuntu 12.04 and using Geeqie here
QuoteOriginally posted by VadikToronto Quote
Hi,
I am using digikam and gimp.
I tried Shotwell and Dikicam which are good too but I think I prefer Gimp with DCRaw (UFRaw) plug-in. It seems to run faster.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
I have Gwenview and find it good, no difference from others. There is an option to enlarge smaller images, could be that.
Otherwise Picasa 3.9 on Wine works very well especially on PEF raw files, shows the actual Raw not the preview jpg.
....Just remembered something, if you are talking about raw files on gwenview it shows the reduced jpg image not the raw file that is
more likely the problem you have.
I'm looking at jpeg. Regardless processed from RAW or straight out of camera comes out noisy on Gwenview or EoG.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Great to hear of more Linux users. Windows drives me crazy when I have to use it - fortunately my company uses Open Source software.

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 and use:
* Gwenview for viewing
* Gimp for editing
* RAW - darktable (I'm a bit of a novice with RAW development though... takes me some effort to get RAW images to look as good as or better than JPG!).

I'm not seeing noise with Gwenview. Are others seeing this?
With all the options and features, Darktable was actually my first choice. Unfortunately, my aging Core-2 duo desktop with only 2GB memory doesn't have enough horsepower to take advantage of the software. I eventually switched to Rawtherapee which has similar feature as Darktable but doesn't eat as much memory, although 2GB is still not enough. I especially like the graduated filter feature.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If you're still in a position to decide which OS to use for photography for the long-term, keep in mind that it's difficult to do any serious printing from Linux. This is why I'm on OS X now. It was either that or Windows.

Plus there are many more high-quality editing options available as well (such as Capture One, which I use).
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info. I actually have Windows XP and Mint in dual-boot so I can still use Photoshop Elements from time to time. Windows is my only option for photo printing since Linux doesn't support driver for my old Epson photo printer. I have not tried Capture One but should probably look into upgrading my dinosaur hardware before trying modern softwares. I can barely run Rawtherapee as it is.

natarake - I'll give Ritretto or GpicView a whirl and see how they go.

Cheers everyone!
12-31-2014, 01:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
What photo viewer do you use for jpg? The default viewer on most Ubuntu forks is either Gwenview or EOG. For some reason the images displayed on these viewers are extremely noisy, images that are otherwise crisp and clear on Windows, even on Paint. So far the only one that seems to display normal images is Geeqie, Any suggestions on a Linux photo viewer I should try? I'm running Mint 17.1 Rebecca. For processing I use Gimp w/DCRaw or Rawtherapee.
This is my observation. I dont think it is noise. I think its the resolution of the original files. I had problems with this too. But later I realised that smaller files displayed better. Try it and see.

But for the programs that I use, digikam (does not have problem with original files), gimp and darktable. I use gthumb for quick view of files. Mostly processed resized and scaled files.
12-31-2014, 01:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Fedora 14 here, I use the Gnome, gimp, cinepaint, imagemagick, and I am just starting on darktable.
The first thing i had to do to darktable was increase the font size in the config to be able to read the menus.

The Eizo monitor S2243W now has 14,500 hours still seems to be just as good as ever.
I use the GEForce GPUs with the Nvidia linux driver and the DVI-D 8 bit cable.

I just got an Eizo SX2762W. It was "used" and at a good price but when it arrived it has zero hours on the meter!
This one supports the extended adobe sRGB, and has 10 bit (30 bit) capability.
To run that I purchased an NVIDIA Quadro GPU. It has not arrived yet.

I read that X term already supports up to 16 bit color depth and that Nvidia has a driver for the Quadro
To run 10 bit requires the DisplayPort cable.

Happt New Year to everbody and all the linux fans !
12-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ubuntu 14.10, darktable, gimp, geeqie here. darktable is currently updating to gtk3 which will be released in v2.0 first quarter 2015. More importantly, once gimp 2.10 is released with gegl then a rework of darktable using gegl underpinnings will be undertaken for v3.0 likely the following year. This will allow easy passing off of images between darktable and gimp which should increase the functionality in the workflow notably. As mentioned, all this graphics magic comes at the cost of RAM. I have 16G and still want for more at times.
12-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LinuxMint 17.1 and for straight image viewing of jpg it is the Gnome Image Viewer, Image viewer, was called eye of gnome i think, no problems with that.

What graphics are you running? Maybe you need the restricted drivers installed for AMD or nVidia.

try

sudo inxi -Fc 0

Last edited by beachgardener; 12-31-2014 at 04:23 AM.
12-31-2014, 05:04 AM   #14
Forum Member

I'm running Puppy Slacko
For editing "mtPaint image editor"
For quick view "Viewnior image viwer"

Happy New Year!
12-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Culture, That is strange ? I've been messing around with it and somehow Gwenview now display images as they should, no degradation. The only thing I can think of doing was remove and reinstall the viewer.

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Fedora 14 here, I use the Gnome, gimp, cinepaint, imagemagick, and I am just starting on darktable.
The first thing i had to do to darktable was increase the font size in the config to be able to read the menus.

The Eizo monitor S2243W now has 14,500 hours still seems to be just as good as ever.
I use the GEForce GPUs with the Nvidia linux driver and the DVI-D 8 bit cable.

I just got an Eizo SX2762W. It was "used" and at a good price but when it arrived it has zero hours on the meter!
This one supports the extended adobe sRGB, and has 10 bit (30 bit) capability.
To run that I purchased an NVIDIA Quadro GPU. It has not arrived yet.

I read that X term already supports up to 16 bit color depth and that Nvidia has a driver for the Quadro
To run 10 bit requires the DisplayPort cable.

Happt New Year to everbody and all the linux fans !
Darktable is a good full featured software, I just don't have enough hardware to take full advantage of it. Exporting to jpeg takes about a minute to complete. I can see both CPU cores pegged at 100% with memory at 90% during the process. Upgrading my dinosaur is what I should be looking into. Rawtherapee is slightly faster but still agonizingly slow. What seem to work reasonably with my hardware is UFRaw/DCRaw plug-in w/ Gimp.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Ubuntu 14.10, darktable, gimp, geeqie here. darktable is currently updating to gtk3 which will be released in v2.0 first quarter 2015. More importantly, once gimp 2.10 is released with gegl then a rework of darktable using gegl underpinnings will be undertaken for v3.0 likely the following year. This will allow easy passing off of images between darktable and gimp which should increase the functionality in the workflow notably. As mentioned, all this graphics magic comes at the cost of RAM. I have 16G and still want for more at times.
I have a measly 2gig of RAM! I'm fairly certain it's one of the reasons my system is not "well fit" for heavy photo processing.

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
LinuxMint 17.1 and for straight image viewing of jpg it is the Gnome Image Viewer, Image viewer, was called eye of gnome i think, no problems with that.

What graphics are you running? Maybe you need the restricted drivers installed for AMD or nVidia.

try

sudo inxi -Fc 0
On-board Intel Q965 – nothing special really. Chassis is small form-factor (Lenovo M55) and doesn't even have a slot for a full size card. Likewise, I am running Mint 17.1.

Ant11sam - I tried Slacko before on an old laptop, it's good. I did switch that laptop to Manjaro for an Arch based distro.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!