Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Correct lens not shown in lightroom 5.7 metadata - only pentax

I just upgraded to the latest version of Lightroom (v5.7 [991162]), Camera Raw 8.7) and also updated my camera firmware (Pentax K-50, v1.02), still have the problem. I also have Photoshop Elements 11 installed, which I use for more detailed editing (not using the Elements library browser any longer).

LR correctly shows the camera make and camera model in metadata. Of the three Pentax DA lenses I own, it correctly shows the 50mm F1.8 lens in metadata (both for jpg and dng), but the other two (DA 18-55 WR and 55-200 WR) kit zooms do not show any lens in metadata. Those pictures are shown in the metadata search as "unknown lens". When I use a legacy Pentax-M K-mount lens, it shows the lens in metadata as "K or M lens" with the correct lens focal length (this is OK, it can't do otherwise).

Problem exists for both jpg and raw files.

Don't have this problem with my Sony NEX-5N pictures - LR shows each Sony lens in metadata, both jpg and raw files.

When I open the pentax raw files in Develop and click on the use lens profile box, Pentax is listed under Makes and all the pentax lenses show up in the drop down list. If I open a pentax jpg file similarly, no Pentax shows up in the Make drop down list.

Is there some setting I need to change for LR to pick up the lens model from the jpg and dng files generated by the camera?

01-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure why those two lens aren't showing up.

But, a similar thread was posted a couple of weeks ago and I pointed out a solution. See here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/279073-n...ml#post3085800

Once you select the lens from that profile list and then save it as a default, LR will detect it fine from the developing perspective. It won't fix the metadata.

As for the K and M variety of lenses, you'll have to live with the behavior LR has as I don't think there is enough information to set a reliable default. LR doesn't really look at FL for identifying lenses (see the whole thread linked above).
01-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Not sure why those two lens aren't showing up.

But, a similar thread was posted a couple of weeks ago and I pointed out a solution. See here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/279073-n...ml#post3085800

Once you select the lens from that profile list and then save it as a default, LR will detect it fine from the developing perspective. It won't fix the metadata.

As for the K and M variety of lenses, you'll have to live with the behavior LR has as I don't think there is enough information to set a reliable default. LR doesn't really look at FL for identifying lenses (see the whole thread linked above).
emalvick - thanks for the reply, I looked at the previous thread.

You said "you can make that lens detect as a default in the LENS CORRECTIONS / PROFILE Tab. You just click the option to Save the selection as the Profile Default" - how do I do that saving? I wasn't sure which menus to use to save it as a default, since when I am in the panel where I select a particular lens I don't see any "save" button. I tried going up into other menus where you set the program preferences and found a "save defaults" option, but that brought up a warning telling me it would overwrite something that was not recoverable - should I ignore that? Also, do I have to do this for each of the two lenses that are not being recognized (18-55 and 55-200 zooms)? Finally, I'll have to open one of the dng files to do this profile stuff, as that is the only time the Pentax lenses show up in the Make list - am I correct? When I have a jpg open then Pentax is not shown under Make.

After I do what you recommended, will all of the pictures I imported already with these two lenses show the correct lens in the metadata panel?

I confirmed the actual jpg files all have the lens in the metadata using ExifToolGUI, so the problem is not the files generated by the camera (I think) but with LR. I don't see, however, why everyone else doesn't have this same problem.