Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
New to Raw or Jpeg Editing

Hello, I just got this program to edit my photos with call Raw Therapee and wondering if thats any good with some of you? I'm also using an older Dell 2007WFPb screen with low brightness settings.

01-03-2015, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Raw Therapee gets mentioned from time to time, as does every other program :-)

Everyone has their favorite. I'm using Elements (v6 --> v9 --> v13).

The best thing to to is read through this sub-forum. It's all been answered many times :-)
01-04-2015, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I use Adobe Bridge/Photoshop so I develop my RAW pictures using Adobe Camera Raw. I downloaded and tried Raw Therapee a few months ago when I was away from my home computer, and I didn't like it nearly as much. It didn't seem as user-friendly to me as ACR, but maybe some of that is because I'm used to a different program?
01-04-2015, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
Hello, I just got this program to edit my photos with call Raw Therapee and wondering if thats any good with some of you? I'm also using an older Dell 2007WFPb screen with low brightness settings.
There is a plethora of threads on this topic. For most of us the choice of raw convertor doesn't really matter. They all do pretty much the same thing. When you really get skilled in post processing then the individual differences can make an impact on your workflow. I use a number of different convertors and it depends what I'm trying to do. Some convertors are easier to work with when a specific intent is in mind.
Raw Therapee is very good. Paired with GIMP and you have a very good freeware version of an advanced photo editing suite. If you are using Linux then Darktable is an excellent choice and in many peoples minds is much better than Lightroom. Still freeware.
You can get a free copy of DXO Optics Version 8 at the moment. Look at DXO's website for details. I think the offer expires mid Jan. Its an older version but its still very capable.
For other opinions and what matters to some people search this site and DPReview. You will also find some very technical material on Elle Stone's site - Ninedegreesbelow.com She reviewed some specific convertors and found Darktable the one she required. Have a look at her reasoning and testing.
Personally I use DXO Optics V10 for photos I want to spend some time on - and then load them in as TIFFs to CS6 to finish them off. I do use ACR 8.7 fairly regularly and on occasion Raw Therapee or Capture 1 v6. Some swear by Capture 1 V8. It certainly is a fine piece of software. But expensive.

01-04-2015, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I love Lightroom, it makes editing really fast, especially over Photoshop + Camera RAW (I can't go back on edits... Can't properly sync them, etc.).

I rarely use Photoshop these days, Lightroom is enough (though when I need PS I really need it, what I want to do can't be done with Lightroom).
01-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fauxton Quote
There is a plethora of threads on this topic. For most of us the choice of raw convertor doesn't really matter. They all do pretty much the same thing. When you really get skilled in post processing then the individual differences can make an impact on your workflow. I use a number of different convertors and it depends what I'm trying to do. Some convertors are easier to work with when a specific intent is in mind.
Raw Therapee is very good. Paired with GIMP and you have a very good freeware version of an advanced photo editing suite. If you are using Linux then Darktable is an excellent choice and in many peoples minds is much better than Lightroom. Still freeware.
You can get a free copy of DXO Optics Version 8 at the moment. Look at DXO's website for details. I think the offer expires mid Jan. Its an older version but its still very capable.
For other opinions and what matters to some people search this site and DPReview. You will also find some very technical material on Elle Stone's site - Ninedegreesbelow.com She reviewed some specific convertors and found Darktable the one she required. Have a look at her reasoning and testing.
Personally I use DXO Optics V10 for photos I want to spend some time on - and then load them in as TIFFs to CS6 to finish them off. I do use ACR 8.7 fairly regularly and on occasion Raw Therapee or Capture 1 v6. Some swear by Capture 1 V8. It certainly is a fine piece of software. But expensive.
Thanks a lot. I downloaded DXO unfortunately it crashes... I'll figure that one out later. I'm glad to hear there's good freeware out there to get started with.
01-04-2015, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

RAWTherapee is one of the better free options out there.

Another free option is Lightzone (used to be a paid product, now Open Source). It's interesting because it has a unique workflow and there is decent support and tutorials out there for it.