Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which cloud storage option?

This may not be the correct section - but here goes:

I'm cheap, so would like a photo sharing site where I can direct my friends to download my photos, rather than me sending the photos to them in some way. MediaFire could work - Free up to 10gb. Or, Dropbox, which is free up to 2gb. Dropbox is $9.99/month for 1Tb storage - I'm waaayyyyy to cheap for that. Media Fire is $2.49 per month - I'm still to cheap for that too. Something like Zenfolio is $40 per year.

I like the look of 500px but it's US$21 per year. I think the functionality of Dropbox or MediaFire is good, because its not just for photos, but photos are not handled as well as on 500px.

I'd love to hear what other users think. I would like the ability upload and allow download of the photo(s) at full size. I know some photo sites don't allow that.

I would love to hear your views!

01-12-2015, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Mega https://mega.co.nz
It's 50GB and FREE. I have not had any problems with Mega.
01-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you have Amazon Prime, they are now offering unlimited storage for photos (including RAW files) on your Amazon cloud drive.
01-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hiya Mark - I managed to get 50 odd gig for free when I started with Dropbox. In the sign-up section it gave me extra credits for cloud space for something I can't quite remember right now. Have a go at signing up and - you can opt at any stage in the sign up.
Chris

01-13-2015, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I would love to hear your views!
Flickr ?
01-13-2015, 04:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A pro subscription to flickr costs bugger all, and gives you *unlimited* hosting.

Just sayin'
01-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A pro subscription to flickr costs bugger all, and gives you *unlimited* hosting.

Just sayin'
Translate "bugger all" for us yanks please.

01-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #8

smugmug - $40 per year for all Images and Videos no limit. The subscription can be augmented for any non media file storage. I like smugmug.com because it is built for photographers.
01-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Translate "bugger all" for us yanks please.
An insignificant amount. In fact nothing. Zilch. Free. But you do get adverts.

Flickr doesn't know about RAW. But images can be up to 200M each. And you can easily control who gets to see what.
01-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For sharing, I use Adrive which offers 50GB for free. Easy to use and works well enough for me to share files. For backup purpose and for things I want to keep total control on, I use Amazon S3. It's cheap (between 0.01 et 0.03$ /GB monthly) and certainly more reliable than any free service. However, it's a bit akward to use comparing to other cloud storage services.

If you also want a gallery, there's plenty of options. Flickr, Google Photo, Onedrive, Photobucket...

The choice really depends of what you exactly want and are willing to pay.
01-13-2015, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Translate "bugger all" for us yanks please

01-13-2015, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But one of best uses of the word the still makes be smile ....
Toyota ad from NZ
01-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
NKK
Inactive Account

+1 for flickr, adverts are not bad I think. And if i remember correctly its 1tb.
Otherwise OneDrive if you have an O365 subscription, that's 1tb, and is going to be unlimited soon :-)
01-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I use Mega https://mega.co.nz
It's 50GB and FREE. I have not had any problems with Mega.
Thanks. But, I'm not sure Mr Dotcom's latest venture will be around for too long. He's getting a lot of bad press here.

---------- Post added 01-15-15 at 09:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Hiya Mark - I managed to get 50 odd gig for free when I started with Dropbox. In the sign-up section it gave me extra credits for cloud space for something I can't quite remember right now. Have a go at signing up and - you can opt at any stage in the sign up.
Chris
Thanks Chris.

---------- Post added 01-15-15 at 09:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If you have Amazon Prime, they are now offering unlimited storage for photos (including RAW files) on your Amazon cloud drive.
No, don't have that, but thanks.

---------- Post added 01-15-15 at 09:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Flickr ?
I've wondered about flickr. Will look into it.

---------- Post added 01-15-15 at 09:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
For sharing, I use Adrive which offers 50GB for free. Easy to use and works well enough for me to share files. For backup purpose and for things I want to keep total control on, I use Amazon S3. It's cheap (between 0.01 et 0.03$ /GB monthly) and certainly more reliable than any free service. However, it's a bit akward to use comparing to other cloud storage services.

If you also want a gallery, there's plenty of options. Flickr, Google Photo, Onedrive, Photobucket...

The choice really depends of what you exactly want and are willing to pay.
Thanks for mentioning Onedrive. I realise that my phone and computer came with Onedrive, and it seems I have 30GB free! This may do the trick in the short term.
01-16-2015, 05:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks for mentioning Onedrive. I realise that my phone and computer came with Onedrive, and it seems I have 30GB free! This may do the trick in the short term.
One thing to take care with Onedrive is that files will be sync on all your devices. If you have a lot of them, you can eat quickly on your bandwith quota (if you have one). This can also be particularly problematic on mobile device with limited storage space. Simply put, Onedrive will backup your files not only on the cloud but on every devices it's installed.