Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

LR5 develop preset for K-3

I have a very good develop preset I have been using with my K-5 raw images for about a year now. The target of this preset is to give me a solid starting point when importing my images so that if I want to perform a JPEG export of all the images immediately after importing, I won't end up with garbage, but with relatively well processed JPEGs. Using this preset also reduces the time I need to spend in LR with my raw files. Assuming I haven't blown the exposure or done something stupid, the bulk of the images should look very good right out-of-the-box. Special images will of course get much more attention in LR before being exporting for any purpose.

Now that I have a K-3, I'd like to tailor a copy of my K-5 preset to use with my K-3 images. I've started by setting the sharpening values back to their Adobe default until I can determine the correct values for my K-3 and lenses. As with my K-5, my primary lenses are the DA* 16-50 and 50-135. Since I use these lenses about 95% of the time, I want to optimize my preset for those lenses specifically.

Here are the values in my new K-3 preset:

AutoLateralCA = 1,
Blacks2012 = -20,
BlueHue = 0,
BlueSaturation = 0,
CameraProfile = "Adobe Standard",
ChromaticAberrationB = 0,
ChromaticAberrationR = 0,
Clarity2012 = 15,
ConvertToGrayscale = false,
Defringe = 0,
DefringeGreenAmount = 0,
DefringeGreenHueHi = 60,
DefringeGreenHueLo = 40,
DefringePurpleAmount = 0,
DefringePurpleHueHi = 70,
DefringePurpleHueLo = 30,
EnableCalibration = true,
EnableDetail = true,
EnableLensCorrections = true,
GreenHue = 0,
GreenSaturation = 0,
Highlights2012 = -20,
LensProfileEnable = 1,
LensProfileSetup = "LensDefaults",
ProcessVersion = "6.7",
RedHue = 0,
RedSaturation = 0,
ShadowTint = 0,
Shadows2012 = 20,
SharpenDetail = 25,
SharpenEdgeMasking = 0,
SharpenRadius = 1.0,
Sharpness = 25,
Vibrance = 15,
VignetteAmount = 0,
VignetteMidpoint = 50,
Whites2012 = 10,

All suggestions are welcome, but if you tell me to change something I want to know why. I'm not really interested in blindly plugging in values without knowing why you have chosen that value. The above values (with the exception of the default sharpen values) were chosen very carefully when I created the preset for my K-5.

I do have one very specific question. I read that it's better to use the "embedded" camera profile rather than Adobe Standard. Is that true? What do I gain from using embedded and should I use it also in my K-5 preset?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cbope; 01-18-2015 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarification
01-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Huelight medium color profile and I like it a little better than the Adobe Standard. They're pretty cheap and worth it in my opinion.
02-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Embedded is always better than Adobe Standard, IMO.