Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Interesting to read!

I recently upgraded to a K-3 and C1 doesn't seem to have any troubles ingesting my DNG files.
Does C1 show the lens name in the metadata for those K3 DNGs? C1 has no trouble importing and working on OOC DNGs from the K-r and K5iis, just reading the lens name. It puts the focal length that the shot was taken at there instead, unless the DNG was previously modified by Lr5 or Adobe DNG converter. The same applies to PEF from the K-r, I have not tried PEF from the K5iis yet but I will do.

This may not be a big deal to some people, but I have 3 lenses that cover 55mm focal length and it would be nice to know which one was used for a shot.

02-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Dieseler,

C1 reads my camera body make, model, and firmware and it reads my lens focal length. It will not firmly state a make and model of the lens, like "FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited". The lens correction tool initially selects "Generic" but it recommends what it finds within its list of lenses. I can select one of the recommended lenses or pick something entirely different. The list is small but my lens collection is small too. I all really need from it is the FA 31mm and the FA 43mm. For the few extra lenses I have which are not listed in C1 I can use the tools to correct for distortions if my mouse hand gets a little itchy.

I guess this would be one of the "quirks", for better or worse. Perhaps a work around would be that you add in some sort of tag data to one image upon import and then copy and paste that tag to all other images.
02-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I guess this would be one of the "quirks", for better or worse. Perhaps a work around would be that you add in some sort of tag data to one image upon import and then copy and paste that tag to all other images.
I could try that, thank you.

Or if I decide to go with C1 over Lr5, I could just run all the raws through Adobe DNG Converter before import.
02-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting observations here about c1. The lack of Pentax lens info has never bothered me, I just accept that c1 and Pentax are relatively small/ fringe players compared to adobe and canikon and they don't have the weight of demand to do pentax lens profiles. Of course it is possible to create ones own lens profiles, but I've never felt the need. The richness of the output I can achieve easily in C1 outweighs any issues there may be in lack of support for Pentax products. As I understand it, the richness of the files in C1 comes from the fact that each supported camera body has an individual profile designed by the team at C1 for it.

I really like the customisable interface. I have modified the 'Q' menu to have all the tools I generally use, in the order I usually use them, so I minimise changing into different modules. I also have a couple of customised interface layouts, one for importing and sorting, one for editing. C1 is way more customisable than LR.

I think the colour correction tool alone is worth the price of admission. I really like the focus mask, it helps me quickly find images with problems, which in turn helps finding those worth working on.

Put simply, I use C1 as the first ( and possibly only) step in my post workflow. If need be I'll take a file into PS for the tools that only PS has. For example, I'm learning about luminosity masks, that can only be done through PS, so I take the superior raw output from C1 to PS and then save the finished file as a tiff and/or JPEG.

I'm not sure I've ever imported q images into C1, since the firmware update, I'll give it a try and see if the cropping problem exists for me too.

02-14-2015, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
The richness of the output I can achieve easily in C1 outweighs any issues there may be in lack of support for Pentax products. As I understand it, the richness of the files in C1 comes from the fact that each supported camera body has an individual profile designed by the team at C1 for it.
This post from dpreview seems to explain the ethos behind C1 very well.

I will play around with it and Lr5 some more next week, at this stage they are both neck and neck. I may have to get both.
02-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote

I will play around with it and Lr5 some more next week, at this stage they are both neck and neck. I may have to get both.
Thanks for posting the link to the article on DP Review! I agree with MiraShootNikon. C1 was made for pros using Phase One equipment in tethered configuration. The question I have about C1 is how does Phase One feel about serving the prosumer and enthusiast market? They seemingly do it for now but I don't fool myself into thinking that they consider it a core market for them. More specifically, can we rely on C1 to support future Ricoh/Pentax bodies? That's a tough one for me to figure out. I wouldn't be asking this if I wasn't abandoned by Apple when they decided to halt development on Aperture.
02-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

More specifically, can we rely on C1 to support future Ricoh/Pentax bodies?
Re-quoting wizofoz:

As I understand it, the richness of the files in C1 comes from the fact that each supported camera body has an individual profile designed by the team at C1 for it.
If they stopped supporting future Pentax bodies (designing individual profiles) then C1 would lose its main advantage over the competition, the rich default output, IMHO.

I understand they already do not support the Pentax 645D/Z. It will be interesting to see if they support the upcoming Pentax FF.

02-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love being re-quoted

It's my understanding that non support for the 645z is because that camera is a direct competitor to phase one's MF camera bodies/backs. This is a commercial decision to try and help support their overpriced equipment. I see no reason why this should apply to the upcoming Pentax FF. Besides, like the custom camera profiles one can purchase or create in LR, it is also possible to do the same in C1 I think.
02-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I love being re-quoted

It's my understanding that non support for the 645z is because that camera is a direct competitor to phase one's MF camera bodies/backs. This is a commercial decision to try and help support their overpriced equipment. I see no reason why this should apply to the upcoming Pentax FF. Besides, like the custom camera profiles one can purchase or create in LR, it is also possible to do the same in C1 I think.
So, could someone open a DNG or PEF file from a 645D/Z and have the basic image appear on the screen for processing? Just curious.
03-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm having a look at Capture One for my k50 raw images (currently Silkypix user) and installed the trial today. I'm sure it's something silly but the program does not "see" my dng files. Suggestion?
03-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm having a look at Capture One for my k50 raw images (currently Silkypix user) and installed the trial today. I'm sure it's something silly but the program does not "see" my dng files. Suggestion?

You may have to go into your browser (through keyboard shortcut or through the View menu) and select an image. It is possible to have no image selected and C1 will say something like "No Image Selected". This is direct contrast to something Aperture that always has some image selected by default.
03-08-2015, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

Possible resolution

I have complained to Phase One for the last two years (ever since Capture One v 7 supported Camera Lens Metadata) that Pentax lenses do not "enumerate" in their software. They just tell me it does and please go away. I have figured out how to cure this issue by using ExifTool (and the Exiftool GUI) tool. You copy the Makers Notes information -Composite:LensID into -exif:LensModel. For non-Pentax lenses (those that show up as "A Series Lens") I have a text file on my desktop and I modify the -exif:LensModel field.
I also add in Location (Similar to GPS) by tagging the file using the Google Map functionality in ExifTool GUI. (The GUI tool only works on the Windows Platform I think)

After doing this, just import the files into your Capture One catalogue and the lens/Geo tag information is available in the Metadata menu. You can add other information into your files too, with all of the available EXIF fields available via ExifTool.

Remember, that this adds information into your files (read modifies) be the JPEG, DNG or PEF. If you are a purest you might find this "bothersome" that RAW files are modified.

And as for color rendering, I use Capture One for the majority of my work as of late. I prefer the control over color, sharpening (single hot pixel suppression is sweet), the HDR tool, clarity/structure and extreme flexibility when outputting files. (Multiple formats, sizes, dpi, filenames and folder locations with one process button) I had real issues with CO v8.0 and had a open case for about a month (I could make it crash almost at will), now with v8.1.1 even the glacial reading of catalogues is "fixed".

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 03-08-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
04-04-2015, 02:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
I've recently shifted from Aperture after 4-5 years to Capture One. Aperture on my 5K+ image library corrupted a few times in the past year and when it did it to me on day 2 of a 3 day event shoot in Singapore a month ago, I knew I couldn't take the risk any longer. Also, I was feeling like there was more that could be done to my images that I wasn't educated or diligent enough to figure out on Aperture.

I admit to never using Lightroom or trying out DxO. I did give DarkTable and one of the other free RAW converters a whirl. However, once I'd seen Capture One used tethered during a B&H event, watched most of the various Phase One C1 tutorials, and finally tried the trial version, I was sold.

Sure I've moved from having a large catalog which I've left in Aperture to doing C1 sessions, but I feel more comfortable knowing that my data loss is minimized when corruption happens. Even better, despite shooting more shots, my processing time overall feels lesser, because I'm able to axe so-so images faster and get onto only processing the selected instead of processing all to see potential and then axing. Also, because I'm better able to manage the C1 tools, the amount of per image processing has increased, because I'm getting results closer to my vision than I ever did with Aperture. Despite the per image time increase, I'm happier.

Frankly, Aperture has been a great tool for a long time and I do miss the cataloging, social sharing, and geo-locations ease. However, for straight per image processing, C1 has it beat. It's the image that matters to me these days, not the large catalog.

Do try out the other tools and though I shoot a lot of low light stuff and though I would love DxO PRIME noise reduction, Capture One allows me to round trip to Nix's Define2 easily and not miss it so much.

In short, in using Capture One, I'm feeling like I'm using a professional grade tool and now that I've put the time in to learn it, I'm proud to use it.
04-19-2015, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
You copy the Makers Notes information -Composite:LensID into -exif:LensModel.
PDL, thank you for this info - it works!

I also work with C1Pro and in total I'm very happy with this tool. Especially since version 8.

I also use exiftool. For those who are interested and have installed exiftool I'll show some concrete commands. If you try to use them please work with copies of your images and always keep backups! You do this at your own risk. Now three examples (exiftool command line version):

1) PDL's suggestion - generate -exif:LensModel so that the lens description is shown in C1. Open a terminal window (mac OS X, linux, windows(?)) and go to the image directory and type in the command.

filename.ext you have to substitute with the filename of your picture. If you only type a . (dot) instead of the filename, every image of the directory should be processed.

command line> exiftool '-exif:LensModel<${Composite:LensID}' filename.ext

If you don't want exiftool not to generate backups of your files you can type this:

command line> exiftool -overwrite_original '-exif:LensModel<${Composite:LensID}' .

To see the lens description in C1 you have reload the meta description of the image via context menu.

2) Show all meta data of an image (I set some options to get a readable output):

command line> exiftool -e -a -u -G -s filename.ext

If your camera / image file supports shutter count information, it will be shown.

3) I use exiftool to rename my DNG image files so that the shutter count of my K-5 is part of the file name.

command line> exiftool '-FileName<${dateTimeOriginal}_K5_SC${ShutterCount}.DNG' -d %Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S *.DNG

If you'd like to see a full list of supported Pentax Tags you get it here: Pentax Tags

Have a nice day
04-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Thanks for link!
So, Lr is for me...