Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
anyone use capture one pro 8 by phase one software

I had someone tell me they preferred capture one over lightroom, so I tried a few images with the trial download and was really impressed. But it seems less intuitive to me than lightroom, but I have been using that for years. Just curious if there was anyone has used it and there was anything they disliked, really liked etc, anything they think lightroom does better before I make the switch.

01-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I use Capture One, and I like it. You're going to have to give it a little time to adjust to the differences. Check out the tutorial videos on Phase One's website, as well as on YouTube.

I especially like the camera profile quality, the highlight/shadow recovery, the keystone correction, the print module (especially the ease of printing multiple images on a sheet), and the overall results.
01-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I use both.. but mainly on capture one. Capture One gives much precise color tuning but Lightroom is better for UI unified with photoshop. I generally like Capture One's color accuracy and how much I can tune with it. Lightroom on the other hand, a lot more available plugins on the market to play with. Personally, I think Lightroom's representation is much flatter. On 100% viewing level you might feel that it offers more details. However, Capture One is produce much more film like quality. Images are puncher, sharper, better color rendering through capture one. Now, they even offers the local white balance.. I haven't really had too much use for that. However, on the Capture One Pro 7 when they introduced advance color tuning, and skin tone white balance.. They are essential for my daily usage.
01-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photodesignch Quote
However, Capture One is produce much more film like quality.
That is what I felt just playing around with the trial. It reminded me of film. The black and white images I did where amazing compared to what I get out of lightroom. I didn't see a lens profile for the pentax lens that came with the K-3 the 18-135, but I will check again. I do like that I can export PNG files. I did not have to play with the image as much to get what I liked. I figured no extensions, but I don't tend to use those too much. I saw it won't edit tiff files. I don't do professional photography, I don't know if it would be overkill.

01-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've been debating trying out Capture One, especially after Rene Robyn really talked it up when I met up with her a few months back... (if you haven't seen Rene Robyn's work, I highly suggest a google).

Can you import camera profiles from Lightroom/Photoshop? I use a Xrite color Checker to build custom camera profiles for every shoot.... would be nice to retain that in my workflow.
02-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use and prefer capture one as my raw processor and first step in my post processing. I hadn't thought about it in this way, but yes, I would agree it gives the files a more film like richness and depth of colour.

I also use DXO, Lightroom and Photoshop and plug ins for various tools and cataloging strengths of each.
02-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I've been debating trying out Capture One, especially after Rene Robyn really talked it up when I met up with her a few months back... (if you haven't seen Rene Robyn's work, I highly suggest a google).

Can you import camera profiles from Lightroom/Photoshop? I use a Xrite color Checker to build custom camera profiles for every shoot.... would be nice to retain that in my workflow.
I have no idea about profiles, but there is an upcoming free webinar on Wed that I am joining on how to work with lightroom and photoshop. If the link below doesn't work, you can go to phaseone.com and look under webinar events.

"
February 4, 2015
Using Capture One Pro 8 with Lightroom and Photoshop

We understand that if you have a mature catalog in Lightroom then its a big ask to move everything to Capture One! But what if you could maintain your catalog in Lightroom and enjoy the superior image processing in Capture One?
It's perfectly simply to do and in this webinar we will show you how. However, since Capture One Pro 8.1 it is now possible to 'round trip' from Capture One to Photoshop, with no need to manually import exported images back into the catalog or session. So maybe now is the time to try Capture One in your workflow again? Our critics hail us for the exceptional quality of default RAW conversion rendering, for colour accuracy, noise reduction and getting the best details from an image. So, why not enjoy this in Capture One as well and not limit your imagery?"

Interactive webinars in February

02-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I have no idea about profiles, but there is an upcoming free webinar on Wed that I am joining on how to work with lightroom and photoshop. If the link below doesn't work, you can go to phaseone.com and look under webinar events.

"
February 4, 2015
Using Capture One Pro 8 with Lightroom and Photoshop

We understand that if you have a mature catalog in Lightroom then its a big ask to move everything to Capture One! But what if you could maintain your catalog in Lightroom and enjoy the superior image processing in Capture One?
It's perfectly simply to do and in this webinar we will show you how. However, since Capture One Pro 8.1 it is now possible to 'round trip' from Capture One to Photoshop, with no need to manually import exported images back into the catalog or session. So maybe now is the time to try Capture One in your workflow again? Our critics hail us for the exceptional quality of default RAW conversion rendering, for colour accuracy, noise reduction and getting the best details from an image. So, why not enjoy this in Capture One as well and not limit your imagery?"

Interactive webinars in February
Cheers for this Murfy. : )
I signed up for the seminar
02-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's awesome... If I wasnt already trying to fit all my meetings in on Wednesday due to scheduling issues.... Grrrrrr
02-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmmm... I'm curious as to what the gist of the webinar was. I think one of the reasons I gave up on Capture One Pro 7 when I downloaded a trial a while back was the lack of clarity on how to use it while maintaining a LR catalog. I was hesitant at having yet another catalog for my photos, and I couldn't make other features work without Capture One creating folders all over the place. I did like it's RAW processing capabilities for what little I used it, but I ultimately went with DxO as an alternative for LR as it seemed much easier to work with in conjunction with LR and did not rely on a catalog.
02-06-2015, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Hmmm... I'm curious as to what the gist of the webinar was. I think one of the reasons I gave up on Capture One Pro 7 when I downloaded a trial a while back was the lack of clarity on how to use it while maintaining a LR catalog. I was hesitant at having yet another catalog for my photos, and I couldn't make other features work without Capture One creating folders all over the place. I did like it's RAW processing capabilities for what little I used it, but I ultimately went with DxO as an alternative for LR as it seemed much easier to work with in conjunction with LR and did not rely on a catalog.
Here is the recording of the seminar. See for yourself. I think its a great advance

02-09-2015, 04:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a subscription to CaptureOne Pro 8.
However I cannot recommend it if you are using a Q along with another Pentax body.
There is an issue where the imported images from a Q are automatically zoomed and cropped.
I have contacted support about this and their response was that it is a known issue with firmware version 1.0.1 (the shipping version with my Q7) and only version 1.0 is supported.
I would have to think that a fix for the Q is not on the priority list anytime soon.
Add this to the fact I have not seen a Pentax lens supported in the lens correction tool.
Far easier to use Lightroom which supports more bodies and lenses.

My $.02 and YMMV

An example of the issue I am talking about.
I have not cropped or zoomed in on either image.
First the DNG opened in Lightroom:

Next the same DNG opened in CaptureOne

Last edited by robwill; 02-09-2015 at 06:21 AM.
02-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robwill Quote
Add this to the fact I have not seen a Pentax lens supported in the lens correction tool.
Far easier to use Lightroom which supports more bodies and lenses.

My $.02 and YMMV
I was disappointed with the pentax support. I did watch the webinar to use raw and them bring it into lightroom but you need to make it a tiff file and I am not crazy about that aspect. Its cool and really nice raw development but my excitement has diminished with the lack of pentax lens support. I will keep following the webinars since they are free. I hope if more people use it, they will support more cameras,
02-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I am currently trialling both CaptureOne Pro 8 and Lr5 with images from the K-r and K5iis.

First impressions are:

Images imported into CaptureOne Pro 8 just look better at default import settings than Lr5. I don't know if this is the raw converter extracting more micro-contrast or more default sharpening or what, but they seem to have more detail and 'pop' more. Colours are more pleasing too in CaptureOne Pro 8 - maybe a slightly 'warmer' look? Try as I might, I can't get the same image to look as good in Lr5 as I can in CaptureOne Pro 8.

CaptureOne Pro 8 is slower than Lr5 at both importing and general use. This is on a new MBPr with a catalogue of approx. 5,500 raw images. Also, at times, CaptureOne Pro 8 does not fully load the selected image, it stays as a low-res preview although the loupe view shows as full-res.

The Lr5 interface is easier to navigate (to me, a new user of both programs) but I wish the Lr5 panel on the right could be combined on the left like CaptureOne Pro 8 leaving the entire RHS for displaying the photo. I know you can set the panel to auto-hide but then as soon as you do an edit it covers part of the photo.

I find it a pain in the arse to have to leave the develop module in Lr5 and go back to the library module to view metadata or to get a grid view of thumbnails.

Speaking of metadata, CaptureOne Pro 8 does not display the lens name for Pentax (I am shooting in DNG), Lr5 does. However, if I edit an image in Lr5 and save the metadata to the DNG, then upon opening this file in CaptureOne Pro 8, it does show the lens name! So I did an experiment and used the Adobe DNG Converter program to convert an unedited DNG out of the camera to DNG again, and this time CaptureOne Pro 8 did show the lens name too. So much for listing the K5iis and K-r raw files as supported.

Lr5 has reject flags which I find very handy on a first pass through a batch of images, CaptureOne Pro 8 does not.

I find the keywording very clunky in CaptureOne Pro 8, I have not tried it in Lr5 yet.

Both programs have a graduated filter which I find incredibly handy for recovering blown out skies. CaptureOne Pro 8 has layers, I don't really know the advantages of that over Lr5.

Filtering and searching seem easier in Lr5.

Both only show a minimum of EXIF data compared to what is available from exiftool.

I like the way the tool in Lr5 defaults to a zoom tool that enlarges the image to fit the whole window. I don't like the small circular magnified view in CaptureOne Pro 8 and the fact that I have to specifically select the loupe tool to zoom in (yes, I know there are keyboard shortcuts). Both programs would benefit from a '100%/Fit' toggle button IMO.

Those are just my first impressions after using both programs for a few hours each (concurrently).

tl;dr
Overall I feel CaptureOne Pro 8 produces a better looking image than Lr5 but Lr5 is easier to use.
02-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Interesting to read!

I am coming from Aperture and I find the interface in C1 to be relatively simple and slick. Some of the navigation between screens and modes is clunky but I don't feel its insurmountable. It's just something to get used to. I recently upgraded to a K-3 and C1 doesn't seem to have any troubles ingesting my DNG files. The processing tools feel more powerful than I what I have in Aperture but I also feel that I can come close by directly manipulating the curves to achieve similar effects (vs. using sliders). I tried LR5 and it didn't sing to me. It's not good, not bad - it's just not me.

Thanks to @robwill! I haven't tried importing any Q7 images yet and it looks like I would be heading toward a lot of trouble. My Q7 is still on v1.0 of the firmware so I may be OK. Phase One is definitely geared for the professional and the equipment that professional would use. Updates to C1 to accommodate that equipment will trump everyone, everything, and anything. I wouldn't hold my breath for an update to fix a Q7 issue. They are a small company with limited resources. Although it's a little frustrating to know that the Q7 is not fully supported I can't blame them.

I probably will end up getting a subscription to C1 when my trial runs out unless I discover something else between now and then.