Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adobe Premiere Replacement for Win?

Still doing some research, but now I am frustrated with a replacement for finding a "consumer" oriented video replacement for Adobe Premiere Elements. I have version 10, but in upgrading to a lap top that can run it, I found that version 10 will not scale the interface to match the high resolution screen (it's a "4K" screen). It looks like I'd have to buy version 13 at least (version 10 is unusable on my resolution - I'd have to basically reset the video driver to be able to "dumb" down the display to work with it - it's time to move on for that reason).

So is there an alternative to use? I see that there is window's "movie maker" and there are a couple of others. I'm basically looking for something for a windows PC that I can automate a slide show, include some video clips, but one feature that I really liked about Premiere elements is that it was possible to create a video menu/chapter system, but in reading other sites that feature does not get any mention.

Any good competitors? Does "Movie Maker" allow for the creation of chapters and menus?

01-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used windows movie maker successfully to make a video. I liked how easy it was to use. However it is limited in how many transitions it has.
01-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pro show gold
01-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightworks? Lightworks: The professional editor for everyone

01-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2015 Plus

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro - Video editing software
01-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the updates everyone. While I just got a new PC (thanks to a company bonus), I'm going low cost to stretch out my expenses at the moment.

So I'm going to try Windows Movie Maker, but I also found something called "Video Soft Development Corp" (I think) video editor which looks promising (and if you like, there are other tools from these guys are that are promising "open and free" for video format conversions, audio disc extraction (ripping) and audio file conversions from the same site as well. This stuff is found: Freeware audio and video tools: Free Video Editor . I will update this site once I've gotten a chance to look at this in the next few days (I do have some interviews coming up so I'm busy which is a good thing!)
01-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
Follow up

As I start to dig a little further, the thing that I would really favor in creating output DVD slideshows/movies is to be able to add "chapters" so that they can be indexed and an individual can start with something right where they want. I'll be creating a slideshow for my daughter's cheer team from fall (football) through winter seasons (competitive). And even there, there are three distinct rounds during competitive season. And of course, final end of the year sports and awards banquet.

So in replacing Premiere, I want those chapters. As I start to learn each of the replace open source products, I've found that Windows Movie maker may not be able to create those chapters (I'll continue to try it out at any rate). But the bigger issue is that it does not appear to be able create a DVD in a standard dvd format that can be used on any player.

So that lead me to further searches and it looks like I've stumbled into an additional 'open' source cross platform tool.

One Warning I can offer, do not just accept 'standard' installs as they seem to include bloat/crap ware.

However the other tool I found this evening is one called "DVDStyler" : DVDStyler - Free DVD Authoring Application Downloads actually appear to be hosted on Sourceforge.

It looks like even if I use Windows Movie maker, I'd still have to import it into DVDStyler to actually create generic DVD. According to Microsoft, the Windows Movie Maker can make DVDs, the video format is windows "wmv" format and while "most" DVD players may work, I'm fearful that some families on our team will inevitably have a player that won't work (and I'll need probably need between 30 and 40 for families/grandparents and separated/divorced parents). I don't want to take the chance that the 'movies' won't work.

The saga continues...

01-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

If you're familiar with the Premiere interface, why not save for version 13 ? You'll spend far less time and hassle trying out incomplete freeware projects in doing so at least..
02-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You'll spend far less time and hassle trying out incomplete freeware projects in doing so at least..
mee - I might even be at that point... :-(