Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
As you see I wasn't talking about naked file - which indeed loads rather fast.. but it hardly is the point of such application, I am sure you agree
I definitely agree. But I don't find that loading a picture with adjustments takes that much longer. It depends on what your definition of "moderate" and "some" would be here, of course.

But by all means, I don't dispute the fact that LR is slow!

01-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I think they can add lots of functionality.
A high resolution mode for working on 4-5K monitors, a much better clone tool, better soft proofing, Adding individual colors should be easier. Having a few configurable notes and fields in the metadata. HDR, stitching, some layers on a simple scale. Selectable distortion correction would be sweet too
I'm sure others smarter than me can come up with many more.

M
Some of these things we won't get simply because Adobe is also trying to sell you a copy of Photoshop. Better cloning, layers, and stitching are a couple things I won't expect to see just because of that.

In fact, the provided functionality now requires a copy of Photoshop to make work. If you don't have both installed, you may not see it, but there are a "Merge to panorama in Photoshop..." and "Merge to HDR in Photoshop" options if you right click "Edit In..." on an image. I would expect this to continue. It's another $50-100 for a copy of Elements for Adobe.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 01-25-2015 at 08:27 PM.
01-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, I think LR could have a lot of improvements, but they wouldn't be so much in the develop module as the other ones.

* I'd like better options for book, publishing control.... more flexibility or customization options... but perhaps like others, they want to force you to using software like InDesign
* I'd like better version control options for independent files that are derivative. I'm thinking more than just flat out stacking, which is the best that can be done. If I export a file to another plugin, I want the Tiff or Jpg file to be associated with the original RAW file. I want the metadata to be able to be sync'd between these files since some software tends to strip it off.
* And... if we can dream for everything: For developing, it would be nice if some basic layering was implemented. I realize this could step on the toes of Photoshop, but it would be nice. Conversely, I'd like a bit more fuller set of features with the adjustment brush, gradient, radial gradient functions than we have now. Specifically, the ability to make a full set of exposure adjustments, color tone adjustments, and detail adjustments for the adjustment area rather than the limited relative ones provided.
01-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #19

Original Poster
I did try capture one and did like it a lot but it simply comes down to price for me at my stage of photography.

The problem i have with the cloud service is that every year you have to pay around £100 a year.

.i understand getting updates and think that is a good thing but i am happy to pay a one of price of £100 and then get a newer version a couple of years later, for now.

I do wonder if there is a difference between the library on lightroom and having a good organised folder system on a computer, or am i missing something?

01-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by R J P Quote
I do wonder if there is a difference between the library on lightroom and having a good organised folder system on a computer, or am i missing something?
Lightroom is flexible enough to work with your existing folder system, but the benefits of Lightroom for image organization are exponentially better. Metadata sorting and key word application can be automated. Collections, both smart and "dumb," provide a lot of "shoebox" -type flexibility.

It really depends on your requirements: how many images you need to manage, how many you expect to be imported in the near-and longer-term, how important is visually prioritizing your images, and whether you care about seamlessly uploading your images to an online hosting site such as Smugmug or Zenfolio or Flickr.

I've been using Lightroom since the first public beta and use it to manage close to 200,000 image files. Complaints are few, benefits many.

M
01-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

64-bit only? That's great! They've finally solved the problem of windows users being forced to download both 32 and 64 bit versions.
01-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Ok, the big one I'd like to see is the ability to set white and black points with a local adjustment brush. Photoshop can do local level adjustments, but it may exploit layers behind the scene to do it. Still, it should be possible to bump the pixel values up or down locally.

01-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

Much nicer healing brush

32-bit TIFF with HDR support

Panorama stitching

Focus stacking

improved sharpening / denoising

improved speed (when dealing with large image catalogs)

larger list of tethered cameras supported (come on, Adobe and Pentax, work together!)

better cataloging and searching features

There are a few I'd like to see.. in no particular order..
02-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ok, my #1 demand is an undelete option. It's absolutely absurd that if you remove a photo, you have to recover it from the backup. If that file was modified after your last backup, too bad for you. Your edits are gone forever.

I just lost 2 days of really good work thanks to this. I went to remove an image but it turns out all images were selected and all were removed. $^%*$^$#$##%$
02-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #25

here we go...

Adobe Lightroom 6 leaked online | Photo Rumors
02-21-2015, 01:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
just lost 2 days of really good work thanks to this. I went to remove an image but it turns out all images were selected and all were removed. $^%*$^$#$##%$
Absolutely agree - had this happened to myself once too
02-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, my #1 demand is an undelete option. It's absolutely absurd that if you remove a photo, you have to recover it from the backup. If that file was modified after your last backup, too bad for you. Your edits are gone forever.

I just lost 2 days of really good work thanks to this. I went to remove an image but it turns out all images were selected and all were removed. $^%*$^$#$##%$
Absolutely agree - had this happened to myself once too
One more good reason to retain the "confirmation" dialog and carefully consider before saying "Yes". It is also a good rational for doing regular catalog backup, even within session.*

Steve

*...right, like that is ever going to happen...I don't do it
02-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One more good reason to retain the "confirmation" dialog and carefully consider before saying "Yes". It is also a good rational for doing regular catalog backup, even within session.* Steve *...right, like that is ever going to happen...I don't do it
I think I agree with you too ... hmm , am I going mad ?
02-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I agree with you too ... hmm , am I going mad ?
perhaps...perhaps...

Steve
02-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to remove an image but it turns out all images were selected and all were removed. $^%*$^$#$##%$
Reading this I am thinking What idiot does this?
Well I have always been annoyed by the second guessing of these programs. When I TELL you to delete, don't ask me if I am sure, you %$#^%$#^%$#^$.
I wouldn't press delete if I didn't want to>
Well last week I clicked DELETE, then I clicked ARE YOU SURE, then I clicked DONT BLAME ME, then I saw I TOLD YOU SO the whole folder was empty on my hard drive?????
I had been trying my K3 for a concert and sync'd all to correct WB. That's when I saw an image I no longer needed and deleted. I WAS SURE!!!
Luckily I still had the images on the SD card as I don't delete until in camera.
Oh the idiot that just typed this response would do this