Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #1

Request comments and suggestions

I will be shooting my first wedding this summer and I shot the engagement pictures a couple of weeks ago. I would like to hear comments and suggestions on what I could improve. I think the pictures turned out OK but I don't think it has that "something" that makes them really stand out. I will admit the couple is rather reserved and I met them for the first time that day so we spent the first couple of hours talking and getting to know each other.

Instead of posting the pics here, I've included the link to the pbase gallery.
Leeanna & Stephen Photo Gallery by Jun Park at pbase.com

BTW, I normally place a password on these galleries but the bride specifically requested that I not password protect this gallery.

Thanks in advance!

02-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Jun Park,
Your gallery is very good for these picture. The couple seems very nice and the photos show they are in love. My choices would be the following images. IMG 1892, 1946, 2007,2019, 2023, 2030, 2070, 2089, 2108, 2117, 2127, 2151, 9234. very quality images for a portfolio for this couple. I can't wait to see the wedding shots. (I hope you post them also.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, David

I guess I had a different look in mind when I was taking the pictures. But the bride likes them and I guess that's the most important opinion!
02-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm glad the bride likes them! I'll echo David and hope you post at least a few from the actual wedding.

However, I agree with you; the "something" is missing. The pictures feel stiff to me, and too posed. There are too many "and here we are standing there, and there, and there" shots, and not enough movement or sense of context or simple spontaneity (conveyed) for that matter.

The future bride is especially hyper-aware of you. Even though there is a hint of playfulness, it's of the type where they know when they are photographed, and they only play when the camera is on them. This set of photos comes off as a sort of model shoot, because they are looking at the camera frequently and when they aren't looking at the camera--they are acting, rather than just living. I dislike the mock-excitement shots. (108, 110. 957 to some extent.)

The wedding should be a bit better in regards to the comments I've made, because I'd hope that they'd be a bit more preoccupied with getting married than being photographed. If you have to---I'd figure out something to tell them to get them to stop looking at you. There should be some posed shots (standard mugshot-type), of course, but there should also be photos where they don't know the picture is being taken.

I don't have much else, but I'd try for a few more establishing/context snaps, and a bit more creativity in angles. Oh, and especially during the wedding, make sure that you get the bride in frames without the groom, and vice versa. Aside from the two hands in your gallery, where where your closeups?

02-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jun Park Quote
I guess I had a different look in mind when I was taking the pictures. But the bride likes them and I guess that's the most important opinion!
I would say then Jun that she is the only person that counts. but I also have to echo Beth. The photos are to stiff. I would prefer natural then some of the posed shots. hypersensitivity in wedding and any other photo sessions can be a real pain to deal with. However you did get some good shots and the ones I mentioned would be the pick of the litter IMO. I'm sure the wedding pics will be easier her mind will be other places instead of on the camera.

Good shooting.
02-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, Beth!

I think you've hit on the missing "something". I think the pics are OK but they just didn't grab me and I was trying (maybe a little hard) to get them to loosen up and be themselves. But this is what I got and I think the fault lies with me.

This is more along the lines of what I was trying to achieve:

This was taken at a wedding where I was shooting second camera for my friend.

And this one:

Yep, it's difficult to get adults to relax in front of the camera.
02-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Jun,
There is no fault on your end. The pictures you took are very good. You can't make some one relax in front of a camera and you can't make a posed picture look like a candid. the old saying here is ("You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink") You did very well and you will do great at the wedding.

Good shooting.