Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 and DXO pro 10 Color rendering Camera body

Hello everybody,
Just started to play with DXO optics pro 10 and came across with - within the Color rendering - the Camera Body selection, with a whole list of camera brands to choose from.
Interesting, but the default Pentax K3 selection does not appeal me the most, but the Leica M9, M9-P, M-E which gives a more deeper look to the whole picture.
I am very curious to know, if some of you have more experiences in using this feature, how appeal this selection to you.

02-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I sometimes play with it.
Some of the Canon profiles - eg for the 5D2 - often look pretty good on an image.
02-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cake Quote
he default Pentax K3 selection does not appeal me the most, but the Leica M9, M9-P, M-E which gives a more deeper look to the whole picture.
Thanks for the suggestion @cake. Will give it a try.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Some of the Canon profiles - eg for the 5D2 - often look pretty good on an image.
You are not the only one who likes this look: https://negativemoments.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/cant-afford-an-expensive-ca...as-a-solution/

If you choose the preset for "Landscape - standard" it sets the colour rendering to that of a Minolta camera. (Not sure whether other landscape presets do the same thing.) The colour rendering is different - maybe a little more vibrant, maybe with slightly stronger greens and blues. For a while I changed it back to camera default, but I have come to like it for landscapes, and I see why the DxO developers chose it. It's worth a try.

For more options and more control, consider getting the FilmPack plug-in. You could get effects like the classic Kodakchrome 64 or Velvia look.

Last edited by Des; 02-04-2015 at 04:26 PM.
02-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
For more options and more control, consider getting the FilmPack plug-in
I have the FilmPack 3 Essential, and it is indeed fun to play with. I really like the interface to the stand-alone FilmPack.

But having too many styles and presets to play with can be distracting. I could spend all day exploring all the 'looks' and presets of DxO alone. Making matters worse, I also have a ton of VSCO presets for Lightroom.

02-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But having too many styles and presets to play with can be distracting.
The curse of too much choice!

This might sound strange given the array of choice, but it's a pity the K100D Super is not supported in DxO OP. I loved the rendering I used to get from it.

(Pentax K100D Super + Tamron 18-250, jpg out of camera, compressed in uploading.)

Maybe it was the CCD sensor, maybe it was just warmer WB. I might try the rendering from another Pentax CCD camera, like the K10D, to see whether the look is similar.
02-05-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
The curse of too much choice!

This might sound strange given the array of choice, but it's a pity the K100D Super is not supported in DxO OP. I loved the rendering I used to get from it.

(Pentax K100D Super + Tamron 18-250, jpg out of camera, compressed in uploading.)

Maybe it was the CCD sensor, maybe it was just warmer WB. I might try the rendering from another Pentax CCD camera, like the K10D, to see whether the look is similar.
Great pics Des, clear and punchy colors.
I also had a try with the ICC color profile, there is a whole list there to choose from, but I guess I am very wrong going in that area, also not quite sure if can have some good from the visual side...... apologies for my ignorance

Now just discovered in the camera body profiles also the Sony ones on the very bottom of the list , more green to the trees.

Still - perhaps not very related to this subject - I miss the most in DXO, the Lightroom so called feature of "adjustments by dragging in the photo" that is really crazy for fine adjustments, in which you can just point inside the picture the color you want to change and drag up and down and see in real time how is adjusting, looks to me just a very fine and precise way to go instead of using the sliders.
02-09-2015, 04:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wasted my money on this program a couple of weeks ago.
To few lenses supported .
I mean the 18-55mm WR and 50-200mm WR kit lenses should at least be supported.
And if your lens and/or camera body is not supported you can forget about working with your RAW files.
They need to be converted to TIFF or JPG which defeats the major feature of DXO Pro.
It sits idle on my hard drive and I have gone back to using Lightroom/Photoshop

02-09-2015, 04:58 AM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robwill Quote
Wasted my money on this program a couple of weeks ago.
Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe the lesson is to try before you buy.

Perhaps if you complain DxO will give you a refund?

To few lenses supported
Agree completely. But it's a reflection of Pentax's relatively small market share.

I mean the 18-55mm WR and 50-200mm WR kit lenses should at least be supported.
They are. I checked for the K-r and K-30. http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-opticspro/supported-cameras Almost all the DA lenses are supported (560 and the newly-released 16-85 are about the only exceptions I could see).

And if your lens and/or camera body is not supported you can forget about working with your RAW files. They need to be converted to TIFF or JPG which defeats the major feature of DXO Pro.
If your camera is not supported (e.g. K100D Super) that's true.

If your camera is supported but your lens isn't, DxO Optics Pro will open your RAW files and you still have a wide range of tools available (including PRIME noise reduction and ClearView). What is missing is the automatic correction of distortion, vignetting, CA, etc.

Last edited by Des; 02-09-2015 at 05:04 AM.
02-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have asked for a refund. They refused on the grounds that a trail is available.
My setup is a K-50 , the 2 WR kit lenses and the 50mm f/1.8 . Neither of the kit lenses are recognized although they are on the supported list.
While I accept that there will not be the coverage as the Canikon world, not having the 'current' kit lenses profiled and detected is unacceptable.
I have not had the same results as you it seems. I am unable to perform any edits on my file if the lens and/or body are not detected as supported.
In the case of an undetected body, such as my Q7, a message is displayed that says "This image cannot be processed since it was taken with a camera that is not supported by this version of DxO OpticsPro."
That is a full stop. No processing of any kind can take place unless the file is converted to a TIFF first. The features like PRIME are unavailable.
On a side note I was surprised that all the Nikon 1 series bodies and all the Nikon 1 lenses are supported. I would have thought the Q, based on its popularity in Japan alone, would have more market penetration.
None of the above is meant in any way against what Des said. I really do appreciate hearing a positive side and constructive feedback.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe the lesson is to try before you buy.

Perhaps if you complain DxO will give you a refund?

Agree completely. But it's a reflection of Pentax's relatively small market share.

They are. I checked for the K-r and K-30. Supported cameras | www.dxo.com Almost all the DA lenses are supported (560 and the newly-released 16-85 are about the only exceptions I could see).

If your camera is not supported (e.g. K100D Super) that's true.

If your camera is supported but your lens isn't, DxO Optics Pro will open your RAW files and you still have a wide range of tools available (including PRIME noise reduction and ClearView). What is missing is the automatic correction of distortion, vignetting, CA, etc.

Last edited by robwill; 02-09-2015 at 06:05 AM.
02-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neither of the kit lenses are recognized although they are on the supported list.
You can download the modules manually, if Optics Pro doesn't recognize the lens/camera automatically.

Manual download | www.dxo.com

Cheers,
Lou
02-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lm4187 Quote
You can download the modules manually, if Optics Pro doesn't recognize the lens/camera automatically.

Manual download | www.dxo.com

Cheers,
Lou
Thank you for that Lou. I have the module installed for the 50-200mm WR lens but DxO OpticsPro 10 just refuses to match that lens with photos taken using it.
I wonder if there is a difference in the identifier string between the Ricoh version (chronologically newer since the K-50 came out) vs the Pentax version.
I haven't seen a way to force association of the lens module with the one in the image, but I wonder if there is something in the exif data I can modify to fool OpticsPro.
If anyone knows of a way to do that I would welcome that info.
02-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have asked for a refund. They refused on the grounds that a trail is available.
Sorry to hear that.

My setup is a K-50 , the 2 WR kit lenses and the 50mm f/1.8 . Neither of the kit lenses are recognized although they are on the supported list.
The kit lenses are supported with the K-50. The DA 50 f1.8 is supported too. (I have it.)

My guess is that the root of the problem is that you haven't installed the relevant modules for K-50 + each of the three lenses. The modules are a small download. The easiest way is this:
1. Open DxO Optics Pro.
2. Click the menu that says "DxO Optics Modules".
3. Click "Download additional DxO Optics Modules..."
4. Find your camera in the list and check the box beside it, then click Next.
5. Find each of your lenses in the list and check the box next to each, then click Next.
6. A list of the modules to be downloaded will be displayed. If you want to add more, click back. When you are ready click Next. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
7. The modules will then be downloaded and installed.

If for some reason that doesn't work, you can download manually using the instructions that @lm4187 linked to. (Using Windows 7 and 8, the instructions didn't work for me, but I just found the Modules folder for DxO and copied the files into it and that worked.)

I have not had the same results as you it seems. I am unable to perform any edits on my file if the lens and/or body are not detected as supported.
If you install the modules that should fix the problem.

In the case of an undetected body, such as my Q7, a message is displayed that says "This image cannot be processed since it was taken with a camera that is not supported by this version of DxO OpticsPro." That is a full stop. No processing of any kind can take place unless the file is converted to a TIFF first. The features like PRIME are unavailable.
Yep, same for me when I tried RAW files taken with my old K100D Super, whether original PEF or converted to DNG.

On a side note I was surprised that all the Nikon 1 series bodies and all the Nikon 1 lenses are supported. I would have thought the Q, based on its popularity in Japan alone, would have more market penetration.
The market for DxO OP in Japan is probably small. The Q doesn't have a lot of presence elsewhere, and a high proportion of people who have the Q wouldn't use RAW or a sophisticated image processing program. (PF members are the exception rather than the rule!)

None of the above is meant in any way against what Des said. I really do appreciate hearing a positive side and constructive feedback.
Thank Rob. Happy to help. Hope you can salvage something from the program once you install the modules. If you still can't get it to work for you, or don't like it, maybe you can pass the licence on to a friend or family member who might get some use from it.

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 08:50 AM ----------

Great pics Des, clear and punchy colors.
Thanks. I can only imagine what I could have got from that camera/lens combination using RAW and some good PP. It only had PEF RAW and came with a really clunky awful editing program. Even the version of Silkypix that came with my K-30 won't touch PEF files from the K100D Super. The implementation of DNG in more recent cameras means less chance of redundancy.

I also had a try with the ICC color profile, there is a whole list there to choose from, but I guess I am very wrong going in that area, also not quite sure if can have some good from the visual side...... apologies for my ignorance

Now just discovered in the camera body profiles also the Sony ones on the very bottom of the list , more green to the trees.
@rawr is right: you could go mad trying them all!

Still - perhaps not very related to this subject - I miss the most in DXO, the Lightroom so called feature of "adjustments by dragging in the photo" that is really crazy for fine adjustments, in which you can just point inside the picture the color you want to change and drag up and down and see in real time how is adjusting, looks to me just a very fine and precise way to go instead of using the sliders.
Sounds like a great feature. I hope DxO emulate it.

You can individually change each of the colour bands in DxO (e.g. all reds), adjusting hue, saturation and brightness, but what you are describing sounds more sophisticated.

I think there is still a lot of room for additional features without losing the essential simplicity.

Last edited by Des; 02-09-2015 at 02:55 PM.
02-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the module installed for the 50-200mm WR lens but DxO OpticsPro 10 just refuses to match that lens with photos taken using it.
I wonder if there is a difference in the identifier string between the Ricoh version (chronologically newer since the K-50 came out) vs the Pentax version.
I haven't seen a way to force association of the lens module with the one in the image, but I wonder if there is something in the exif data I can modify to fool OpticsPro.
If anyone knows of a way to do that I would welcome that info.
Maybe the K-50 thinks it is the older version of the 50-200 because it doesn't know about the newer one? If so, the simple solution would be to install the latest firmware update for the K-50.

As for photos already taken, the best solution would be to download the module for K-50 + original Pentax 50-200. DxO should then recognise your photos. There would be little if any difference in the optical corrections.

You could try to modify the EXIF but that would be far is more trouble than it would be worth (and it might not work anyway).
02-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe the K-50 thinks it is the older version of the 50-200 because it doesn't know about the newer one? If so, the simple solution would be to install the latest firmware update for the K-50.

As for photos already taken, the best solution would be to download the module for K-50 + original Pentax 50-200. DxO should then recognise your photos. There would be little if any difference in the optical corrections.

You could try to modify the EXIF but that would be far is more trouble than it would be worth (and it might not work anyway).
Thanks for the information.
I did download the files manually (I actually downloaded ALL the Pentax branded lens) for the lenses and installed them. The K-50 module was installed when DxO recognized it and the 50mm lens.
I guess when my lens collection grows and I use the kit lenses less and less I can revisit the software.
It works great with my Canon gear, but I am moving away from that system.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
I have decided to give the whole thing a big meh and stress less, shoot more
02-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the module installed for the 50-200mm WR lens but DxO OpticsPro 10 just refuses to match that lens with photos taken using it.
If your 50-200mm WR was a kit lens, then it is probably a DA-L. If so, it has a different ID from the DA/WR version [Pentax Tags].

You might contact DxO and ask if they can add the identifier to their list of supported lens in DxO OpticsPro--the lens configuration appears to be identical between the two models. DxO Optics Modules suggestion form | www.dxo.com.

Good luck,
Lou