Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Copying Lightroom Catalog to New Computer Problems

I got a new laptop and want to copy my Lightroom catalog from my desktop. I watched a video from adobe about it but it doesn't seam to be working out correctly. I copied my folders with the dng files and my Lightroom 5 folder to the new computer. I also copied by presets folder and put in on the new computer and over wrote the new presets folder. When I open light room all my pictures and the changes made to them along with all my presets. My problem is that my pictures are all lumped in to the all photographs folder and not broke down in to separate folders like I had them before (mostly by the date taken). No question marks or anything. I tried creating a new catalog and importing from the old catalog but got the same result. How do I get them all organized again?

02-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi - a bit hard to comment with a word description. I've only done it once. I was surprised that I didn't have any problems. I don't think I transported over the thumbnails.

It seems you were only provided a choice of the one major file when you did the install. Generally I have to find folder by folder and click on each one.
02-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you posted the question on the Lightroom forums? They are very helpful and solved some of my problems. I would do a search first because this might be a fairly common question.
Lightroom Forums

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 01:35 PM ----------

I might add that when I did this a while back I simply restored from a backup. I routinely backup to two usb drives. One drive is for the entire system, the other only for all my generated data. I also keep the a second copy of the Lightroom catalog backed up to a folder in my Photos folder, so that it gets backed up to the usb drives each time I perform my weekly backups. When I lost the drive in my laptop I simply restored everything from the backup drives. If a different laptop all together I would do a general OS installation then my programs (like photoshop, lightroom, ect). Lastly I would restore from the backup from the usb drive that contains all my generated data, which would include photos and last Lightroom catalog. Then when you open Lightroom just direct it to the catalog contained in the restored folders. At least this worked for me.