Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks! lifesaver!
I just upgraded laptop and didn't have a CD -- for DCU4 I renamed the USB as the CD (S-SW132)

Tried DCU5... is great

Last edited by titrisol; 05-06-2021 at 05:24 AM.
05-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Wanted to try out the software with my new K3, but I tore the optical drive out of my laptop ages ago to put a second hard drive in, and the CD is in the K3 box in the attic anyway.

I tried downloading it from Ricoh, but the software refuses to install unless it's going in from a CD or is upgrading an existing install.

Googled a bit, couldn't find a fix that didn't require me mucking about with a CD (back to square 1) or a thumb drive (didn't feel like looking for one).

So, I opened up the software package, dug into it, and found a nice lazy fix, at least for Mac users.

You can either have, as some posts mentioned, a thumb drive or CD named S-SW140 (or S-SW150 or S-SW151 - they all work), or you can just have an empty file with the right name in the right location. It's just doing that very basic, very simple check,and then overwriting whatever's in that location with the new version of the program.

Since OS X won't let you just create a file in the Applications folder, just open Utilities > Terminal, paste in the following line of text, and hit enter:

touch /Applications/Digital\ Camera\ Utility\ 5.app

That creates an empty placeholder file in the right location. Then when you install the latest download from the website, it happily completes the installation.

Windows might be different.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone ran across the problem as well.
I bought a used K-50 camera kit, and it came with everything EXCEPT the DCU CD. I tried installing the latest DCU update, but it wouldn't work. After a quick search, I found this thread and tried your solution, which worked perfectly. Thanks!

Last edited by Kendra59; 05-13-2021 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added info
10-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy to report that this has worked for me too. As my new laptop does not have a CD drive this was an easy fix!
12-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you find another pc with cd reader you can use it to copy the cd to an USB stick.
Give (rename) the stick the same name as the cd .
Compare both cd and stick : they should have similar names and folders after this.

You can then use the stick on any pc to install a first version. And apply updates...

01-02-2022, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
If you find another pc with cd reader you can use it to copy the cd to an USB stick.
Give (rename) the stick the same name as the cd .
Compare both cd and stick : they should have similar names and folders after this.

You can then use the stick on any pc to install a first version. And apply updates...
There's no need for this. Simply name any removable storage device S-SW140 (or S-SW150, S-SW151 or S-SW162) and leave it in your computer when you download and install updates. There's no need to otherwise use said device during the installation process.
01-27-2022, 02:46 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Actually its even easier than that. Don't need the Terminal stuff: you can create an empty file in the text editor of a Mac, name it Digital Camera Utility 5.app and save it to the Applications folder. Then find the updater and it will "update" the empty file to a working application.
Finding the updater is bewilderingly hard. I found it on the Swedish Richoh site, and there only the 5.6.1 version actually downloaded, though there were links supposed to find newer versions.
5.6.1 will open up in Yosemite. Remains to see wether it's of any use.
.. still works thanks!
01-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
There's no need for this. Simply name any removable storage device S-SW140 (or S-SW150, S-SW151 or S-SW162) and leave it in your computer when you download and install updates. There's no need to otherwise use said device during the installation process.
100%. No need to make it any harder than it needs to be. This method works well and is within most peoples technical capability.

12-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Wanted to try out the software with my new K3, but I tore the optical drive out of my laptop ages ago to put a second hard drive in, and the CD is in the K3 box in the attic anyway.

I tried downloading it from Ricoh, but the software refuses to install unless it's going in from a CD or is upgrading an existing install.

Googled a bit, couldn't find a fix that didn't require me mucking about with a CD (back to square 1) or a thumb drive (didn't feel like looking for one).

So, I opened up the software package, dug into it, and found a nice lazy fix, at least for Mac users.

You can either have, as some posts mentioned, a thumb drive or CD named S-SW140 (or S-SW150 or S-SW151 - they all work), or you can just have an empty file with the right name in the right location. It's just doing that very basic, very simple check,and then overwriting whatever's in that location with the new version of the program.

Since OS X won't let you just create a file in the Applications folder, just open Utilities > Terminal, paste in the following line of text, and hit enter:

touch /Applications/Digital\ Camera\ Utility\ 5.app

That creates an empty placeholder file in the right location. Then when you install the latest download from the website, it happily completes the installation.

Windows might be different.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone ran across the problem as well.
It's 2022, and this work-around worked brilliantly on my MacBook Air. Thank you! I recently purchased a lightly used K-3, and the CD was, of course, long gone. Wanted to try the utility, and had to dig around little to find this tip from Narual. Yes-- the interface is intensely ugly, but I'm hoping it will do what's needed.
12-29-2022, 02:52 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas W Quote
It's 2022, and this work-around worked brilliantly on my MacBook Air. Thank you! I recently purchased a lightly used K-3, and the CD was, of course, long gone. Wanted to try the utility, and had to dig around little to find this tip from Narual. Yes-- the interface is intensely ugly, but I'm hoping it will do what's needed.
I find it a very capable utility … especially as it's both free and regularly updated with Pentax cameras in mind. If you've got two screens, with the image being edited on one screen and all the toolbars on the other, it's actually quite easy
Check out ???????RAW??????????Digital Camera Utility 5 ?1??????? | PENTAX official and New in Ver.5.9: Digital Camera Utility 5 No.7 | PENTAX official (pentaxofficial-com.translate.goog) (don't forget the links at the bottom of those pages) for a few more insights from "the horse's mouth"
01-03-2023, 04:59 PM   #40

Thanks!

Thank you, Kypfer: I'm starting to get the hang of it. The instructions to which you linked are definitely helpful.
02-09-2023, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #41

For Windows at least, I found a slightly easier workaround. Rename your root drive to the S-SW140 (or other variants previously mentioned) and run the "updater" utility from that drive. No need for a memory card or USB stick. This was important to me as my work devices don't allow us to write/erase from removable media, but I have admin privileges that allow me to rename the drive. Rename it back to the original name when you're done.