Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 03:40 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive

Wanted to try out the software with my new K3, but I tore the optical drive out of my laptop ages ago to put a second hard drive in, and the CD is in the K3 box in the attic anyway.

I tried downloading it from Ricoh, but the software refuses to install unless it's going in from a CD or is upgrading an existing install.

Googled a bit, couldn't find a fix that didn't require me mucking about with a CD (back to square 1) or a thumb drive (didn't feel like looking for one).

So, I opened up the software package, dug into it, and found a nice lazy fix, at least for Mac users.

You can either have, as some posts mentioned, a thumb drive or CD named S-SW140 (or S-SW150 or S-SW151 - they all work), or you can just have an empty file with the right name in the right location. It's just doing that very basic, very simple check,and then overwriting whatever's in that location with the new version of the program.

Since OS X won't let you just create a file in the Applications folder, just open Utilities > Terminal, paste in the following line of text, and hit enter:

touch /Applications/Digital\ Camera\ Utility\ 5.app

That creates an empty placeholder file in the right location. Then when you install the latest download from the website, it happily completes the installation.

Windows might be different.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone ran across the problem as well.

02-18-2015, 03:59 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't tried any "magic file" on Windows - I just named one of my memory cards "S-SW140" and the installation went without issues.
04-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Thanks Savoche, that worked like a charm.
04-02-2015, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Slade5 Quote
Thanks Savoche, that worked like a charm.
If only the software did...

04-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

Wow! Thanks narual, it worked!
11-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Wanted to try out the software with my new K3, but I tore the optical drive out of my laptop ages ago to put a second hard drive in, and the CD is in the K3 box in the attic anyway.

I tried downloading it from Ricoh, but the software refuses to install unless it's going in from a CD or is upgrading an existing install.

Googled a bit, couldn't find a fix that didn't require me mucking about with a CD (back to square 1) or a thumb drive (didn't feel like looking for one).

So, I opened up the software package, dug into it, and found a nice lazy fix, at least for Mac users.

You can either have, as some posts mentioned, a thumb drive or CD named S-SW140 (or S-SW150 or S-SW151 - they all work), or you can just have an empty file with the right name in the right location. It's just doing that very basic, very simple check,and then overwriting whatever's in that location with the new version of the program.

Since OS X won't let you just create a file in the Applications folder, just open Utilities > Terminal, paste in the following line of text, and hit enter:

touch /Applications/Digital\ Camera\ Utility\ 5.app

That creates an empty placeholder file in the right location. Then when you install the latest download from the website, it happily completes the installation.

Windows might be different.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone ran across the problem as well.
Thank you! worked perfectly.
12-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #7

Confirmed. Worked with windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Great work around

12-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

DCU5 doesn't come with some Pentax cameras like the K-01 or K-50, but you can download it using these procedures and it will process photos from these cameras. DCU5 is great tool for selecting your Custom Image Tone (Bright, Natural, Radiant, etc.) along with the Saturation, Hue, Contrast, etc. settings to customize your in-camera JPEG processing.
12-04-2015, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

An easier way to do it by Windows; make a silent Installation:

1. Mount the iso-file by the free software WinCDEmu mounter (or a similar program)
2. By Explorer navigate to the BIN folder (in the iso-file)
3. Type in "cmd" in the address bar (+enter) or Shift+right click the BIN folder and select "Open Command Prompt here"...
4. Run either the 32 or 64 version of the installation in silent mode by this command: >setupXX.exe /s
(replace XX with the correct number)

And you will make a default installation of DCU5 - without a correct named thumb drive or CD.
12-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

For the benefits of everyone, there seems to be a number of issues with DCU 5.4.2. At least 3 Pentaxians including myself experienced severe crashes with the version 5.4.2:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...y-5-4-2-a.html

I encourage everyone with issues to report them in the above thread. Thank you in advance.
05-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #11

install digital camera utility 5 without CD

Thanks Savoche, that worked like a charm, easy too.
07-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding. I extracted DCU5Updater64_5.5.1 to a flash drive named S-SW162. Worked like a charm.
11-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great tip.. just did it and worked perfect.

Thanks
01-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Great thanks!!
That user interface is one of the ugliest I've ever seen though!!!
01-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlg118 Quote
Outstanding. I extracted DCU5Updater64_5.5.1 to a flash drive named S-SW162. Worked like a charm.
I used this trick to install version 5.6.2 in Windows, and it worked insofar as I was able to install DCU.

The program doesn't work, however. When I start it I only see the red splashscreen for a few seconds and then it goes away. There's no further GUI that comes up.

Looking at Task Manager I see that the process is still alive and running, just not displaying anything. I have to kill it manually.

Last edited by lightbox; 01-27-2017 at 03:17 PM.