Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Honestly, if you have Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw, don't waste your time and use them instead.
There are a others that I didn't try, but of those I tried, PDCU is the slowest and ugliest. Lightroom and Camera Raw can manage pixel shifted files, if this is why you are looking after PDCU.

04-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks I have it installed, and man is it ugly.
04-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #18
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery
Is there anywhere to download it from?
01-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Actually its even easier than that. Don't need the Terminal stuff: you can create an empty file in the text editor of a Mac, name it Digital Camera Utility 5.app and save it to the Applications folder. Then find the updater and it will "update" the empty file to a working application.
Finding the updater is bewilderingly hard. I found it on the Swedish Richoh site, and there only the 5.6.1 version actually downloaded, though there were links supposed to find newer versions.
5.6.1 will open up in Yosemite. Remains to see wether it's of any use.

01-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Remains to see wether it's of any use
That's the hard part of the job
01-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lr/ACR don't render pixel-shifted files quite as well as DCU5 or RawTherapee do, IMO - nor do they offer motion correction (yet).
01-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an external LG DVD drive that is about the same size of a DVD video case. I plug it in with a USB cable to my Mac Mini for when I want to watch a movie or install some software. I know there are work arounds to not having an optical drive but I consider it a lot of hassle to avoid spending $22.95. Just my thoughts.....

06-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #23

Thanks!

Worked like a charm
11-22-2018, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I run Sierra 10.12.6 on a MacBook Air. I recently installed Digital Camera Utility 4.41 from the updater file even though I did not have 4.0 installed and do not have a CD drive.
I found the updater file here:
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
After downloading it, I unzipped it and PBLU0441.pkg appears. In my folder window, I highlighted the file and clicked on "Get Info." One of the options is "Show Package Contents." In the new window that opens up you will find "Archive.pax.gz." I created a new folder on my desktop and copied that file into the folder. I then unzipped it and a new folder "Archive" appears. In that folder is the full Digital Camera Utility version 4.41. I dragged the icon to my Applications folder and it works fine.
This is a lot easier than it sounds!
11-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Does anyone here have one of those DVD drives that could be plugged into a USB port?

amazon.com: dvd drive with usb?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Yea, but why do you ask this here?
04-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

ha! Wow! Here I was getting annoyed that I couldn't install it! I can't seem to update back to LR 6.8 since my harddrive crashed so I didn't have any way of developing my Pixel Shift shots, and I lost DCU5 as well, and Ricoh only provides the update package... it was looking like a lost cause.
Thank you!
04-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Wanted to try out the software with my new K3, but I tore the optical drive out of my laptop ages ago to put a second hard drive in, and the CD is in the K3 box in the attic anyway.

I tried downloading it from Ricoh, but the software refuses to install unless it's going in from a CD or is upgrading an existing install.

Googled a bit, couldn't find a fix that didn't require me mucking about with a CD (back to square 1) or a thumb drive (didn't feel like looking for one).

So, I opened up the software package, dug into it, and found a nice lazy fix, at least for Mac users.

You can either have, as some posts mentioned, a thumb drive or CD named S-SW140 (or S-SW150 or S-SW151 - they all work), or you can just have an empty file with the right name in the right location. It's just doing that very basic, very simple check,and then overwriting whatever's in that location with the new version of the program.

Since OS X won't let you just create a file in the Applications folder, just open Utilities > Terminal, paste in the following line of text, and hit enter:

touch /Applications/Digital\ Camera\ Utility\ 5.app

That creates an empty placeholder file in the right location. Then when you install the latest download from the website, it happily completes the installation.

Windows might be different.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone ran across the problem as well.
I have a friend who is having the same problem except that he is using a MacBook without a CD Drive. I have passed your info onto him, hopefully it works. This situation surprises me somewhat because all you need to download software on the Canon site is the serial number of your camera. Surely in this tech age Pentax could do the same?
04-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin58 Quote
I have a friend who is having the same problem except that he is using a MacBook without a CD Drive. I have passed your info onto him, hopefully it works. This situation surprises me somewhat because all you need to download software on the Canon site is the serial number of your camera. Surely in this tech age Pentax could do the same?
One would think so!
I'm pretty sure it worked for me the other week, but I actually went another route with Rawtherapee. It's much better than DCU5
07-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #30

Thanks! It worked like a charm