Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
I did just find out this yesterday, so it looks like I was editing embedded jpgs all the time
I was unknowingly doing that for a while as well until I finally figured it out. Depending on what you're trying to do, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you only need a "quick-and-dirty" crop from a photo to attach to an email or something similar, chances are that working from the embedded JPG will be good enough ( if you're going to downsize the image and compress the heck out of it...) . After an outing, I usually need to generate a lot of low-res sample crops from my photos to submit with my observation records to eButterfly ( similar to eBird, but for butterflies ). This is a snap with FastStone, and I do it while I'm browsing/culling my shots.

My K200D seems to embed a fairly high quality JPG in the DNG files. If printed at 4x6, they are indistinguishable from images converted from RAW. Even that is far in excess of the resolution and quality I need for the web, and so I saved a huge
amount of time by simply working with those embedded JPGs. When I needed a high quality/res image for some other purpose, I would convert the DNG using ACR or PDCU.

When you combine this use of the embedded JPG with the editing shortcuts and handy tools provided by FastStone, it's a potent combination. Especially if you're using an older/slower computer.

My K30 seems to embed a lower quality JPG - I can see posterization and other signs of IQ degradation that I never noticed with my K200D files. They're probably good enough, but now I'm usually shooting RAW+, so I work from the camera JPGs.

Obviously, this is not an approach that will work for everyone or for every circumstance, but it does demonstrate that something that one person might view as a shortcoming can be a useful feature to someone else. The great thing about FastStone
is how it quickly brings up thumbnails for a whole folder of RAW files and allows you to browse and compare photos quickly. Basic editing is quick and easy if you take advantage of the keyboard shortcuts, and the fact that most all the tools "remember"
their previous settings. Most of the tools also have this big "hold down to see previous image" button.

It's not very good as a RAW converter though, but you can set it up so that it will launch and send a RAW file to your favourite converter by hitting 'E'. If you're generating a fine art print, you might want to use a different program.

Most of my time is spent browsing/culling images I bring back from the field, and generating low-res sample JPGs for use on the web. I need something FAST and SIMPLE. I like having the image occupy the entire screen, with all the tools/menus hidden until I need them. Left click magnification and the numerous keyboard shortcuts are brilliant. I only wish it had configurable keyboard shortcuts, because I'd like to be able to add a shortcut for watermarking.

95% of the time I'm using FastStone. I've got an assortment of raw converters I'm playing with. DxO looks like it will become my go-to converter, but I may still use PDCU for some images. If I need specialty editing ( eg. Layers ), I use Elements.

03-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
....If you only need a "quick-and-dirty" crop from a photo to attach to an email or something similar, chances are that working from the embedded JPG will be good enough
yeah jpgs are good for copping etc. but if need to edit pic colors and contrast its better use raw then cos jpg has only 8-bits meaning jpgs number of color and lightning level is only 256.

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
My K30 seems to embed a lower quality JPG - I can see posterization and other signs of IQ degradation that I never noticed with my K200D files. They're probably good enough, but now I'm usually shooting RAW+, so I work from the camera JPGs.
i have notice this with k30 also. especially blue skies do posterizise too often and its easy to notice from photo.

Actually I do save photo in tiff format from Faststone and open again with little free program named 'Riot' and use Riot to set optimal jpg conversion options for each jpg photo to send to internet. If u not know this Riot already try, its useful and also gives better understanding about saving jpgs in optimal size.
03-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Actually I do save photo in tiff format from Faststone and open again with little free program named 'Riot' and use Riot to set optimal jpg conversion options for each jpg photo to send to internet. If u not know this Riot already try, its useful and also gives better understanding about saving jpgs in optimal size.
Well, FastStone let's you adjust the JPG parameters on the fly, or set up default preferences. I'm not too worried about the size being optimal, just as long as it's small.
03-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #19

Yet another LR vote.

Honestly sometimes Im really happy with the way images come out in RAW as they are. It always seems to give a more true to life view than I manage in jpeg on my k50

03-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
Honestly sometimes Im really happy with the way images come out in RAW as they are. It always seems to give a more true to life view than I manage in jpeg on my k50
The out of camera jpg will reflect the custom image settings. I think Pentax cameras often come with the default rendering set to "bright". I prefer the "Natural" setting for general use, and I add the "pop" myself in post
when needed.