Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

Processing RAW

Does Pentax provide software that enables us to manage (not just transfer to jpeg) pictures shot in RAW? If not, what is the best 3rd party provider that would enable us to manipulate those photos?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

02-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LGuin Quote
Does Pentax provide software that enables us to manage (not just transfer to jpeg) pictures shot in RAW? If not, what is the best 3rd party provider that would enable us to manipulate those photos?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this.
Higher-end bodies come with the Pentax Digital Camera Utility, which essentially allows you to apply the same presents and options as in camera, with a little bit more control.

Photoshop and/or Lightroom are what I'd recommend if you'd like a better program.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lightroom 5 is the best bet.
02-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a number of good RAW processors. For casual use the Pentax software is fine or FastStone also works.

If you are serious just get a copy of Lightroom and learn how to use. You will thank yourself down the road a few years when you have all your images nicely cataloged and keyworded. The learning curve can be a bit steep but it is well worth the effort if you ever want to actually find those pictures again.

Last edited by jatrax; 02-22-2015 at 04:47 PM.
02-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Another vote for Lightroom. I use LR5 and will upgrade to LR6 which should be out shortly. Note LR6 will only run on a 64 bit system ...so pick up LR5 if running 32 bit.
02-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Lightroom fan here. I also have DxO 10 Elite for trickier fixing. It comes with an automatically installed Lightroom plugin. I use it for perspective corrections and noise mostly. The new Prime noise reduction works fast enough to be usable, but not fast enough for batch corrections unless you turn it on before supper and check it after breakfast.
02-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Lately I have been using that free and small size fastone photoviewer for quick basic editing of DNG files and its quite ok. But thereis no WB adjustment and many other editing sliders also is missing. But there is curves...finally I master pic editing with curves only. Before curves use levels to cut histogram empty left or right sizes off and after curves resize and sharpness. Editing Can not be more simple than this. I use atom prosessor laptop with 1GB memory with win7 and my 16mb raw dng files are very smooth and fast to edit. But WB must be set correct in camera ornear correct.

02-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am a LR user also. I started using 2.0 eons ago and am up through the 5.X. I have tried trial versions of a few competitor's software and they are ok but in the end, I think I stay with LR because I think has a robust feature set and after all this time, it just feels comfortable to me.
02-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to each of you for your feedback. I appreciate your help!
02-23-2015, 04:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Lately I have been using that free and small size fastone photoviewer for quick basic editing of DNG files and its quite ok.
Note that by default, Faststone works with the embedded preview JPEG - it doesn't render the RAW image. As a browser and editor, it's great. I don't use it
as a RAW converter myself.

Depending on which camera body you're using, the preview JPG can be quite useable if you just need something to post on the internet. I use FastStone extensively, but when I want to convert a RAW file, I launch a different program ( from FastStone ).

Of the various programs I've worked with, I like Silkypix for usability, but I get better output from Dx0 8.0. I really like the output from PDCU - it most closely emulates the camera's JPG output. Unfortunately, the UI leaves something to be desired.
02-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Note that by default, Faststone works with the embedded preview JPEG - it doesn't render the RAW image. As a browser and editor, it's great. I don't use it
as a RAW converter myself.

Depending on which camera body you're using, the preview JPG can be quite useable if you just need something to post on the internet. I use FastStone extensively, but when I want to convert a RAW file, I launch a different program ( from FastStone ).

Of the various programs I've worked with, I like Silkypix for usability, but I get better output from Dx0 8.0. I really like the output from PDCU - it most closely emulates the camera's JPG output. Unfortunately, the UI leaves something to be desired.
Yes I think Fastone have setup option that can select if use raw or embedded jpg, i still remember setting raw everywhere when started to use fastone first time.

My reason to use fastone now is that adobe products can not run in my current minilaptop. I will get back to using adobes after gettin new computer in someday future. I have newer even tried that silkypix, can it be used with minilaptop atom-prosessor and 1GB memory and win7 only?
02-23-2015, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Yes I think Fastone have setup option that can select if use raw or embedded jpg, i still remember setting raw everywhere when started to use fastone first time.

My reason to use fastone now is that adobe products can not run in my current minilaptop. I will get back to using adobes after gettin new computer in someday future. I have newer even tried that silkypix, can it be used with minilaptop atom-prosessor and 1GB memory and win7 only?
I guess the problem with setting it to convert the RAW file is that AFAIK, you don't have any control over the conversion - for example, you can't change your exposure, or white balance. So much of the advantage of working with RAW is lost.

Of all the RAW converter's I've tried, I believe that Silkypix was the easiest on system resources. When I was using an older XP desktop, it was the fastest at opening a RAW file, and the fastest at generating output compared to ACR ( via Elements ), Lightroom, or Rawtherapee. It appears to have been optimized to have low impact on under-powered computers. That said, my desktop had a slow processor, but I maxxed out the RAM, so I don't know how Silkypix will perform with only 1G of RAM.

I never tried DxO on that old desktop, but Silkypix is faster than DxO on my newer Windows 8 machine ( which has 8G of RAM IIRC ).

Silkypix 3.0 comes bundled with various Pentax cameras ( K01, K30, K50, MX1 ? ), but it will only convert RAW files from those cameras. You can download a free trial of version 6.0 from the Silkypix website. The Developer studio seems to be very similar to the bundled product. The PRO version costs more, and I think it may have some additional features/enhancements.

The PDCU that comes with other Pentax cameras is supposed to be based on the same Silkypix engine, but it has a different, less user friendly interface. I suspect that PDCU is based on the software that's in the Pentax cameras, since it yields output that's very similar to the camera JPGs, which I find is very difficult to duplicate with the commercial Silkypix. Silkypix is a generic converter, whereas PDCU has been tweaked for Pentax cameras.

I prefer the interface of the former, but I prefer the output of the latter. As always, YMMV.
02-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Yep another Lightroom 5 (Lightroom Mobile too) and Photoshop CC 2104 user here, both for $8.00 odd a month.
02-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have LR 5 but for best results I use capture one pro 8 as a raw converter. Adobe products are used by probably 90% of photographers and there is really nothing wrong with the results from Lightroom ( which is obviously why it is so popular) but I would recommend you give C1 a try to see if it suits you and what you are trying to get from your files.

Be aware that LR is actually not a Raw converter per se, but uses adobe camera raw - ACR- which is the same raw converter used by Photoshop, to process the files. LR is a little like windows is to dos in this regard, it is the interface and it is a cataloging programme. ACR does the hard work

Yes, there is a learning curved for C1, but that's true for LR too.
Yes, it is a little off the grid, but doesn't that go hand in hand with shooting Pentax?

There is a free trial period of 30 or 60 days ( I forget which, and too tired to look) , so you can have a fiddle about and see what comes out.

Personally I think the conversions are somehow 'richer' more slide film like, it's hard to describe.

I also use DXO, and love the noise reduction and clarity function. Then I take the raw files into Photoshop for whatever tweaks I think may make things better. It can be as simple or as complex as you wish the process to be.

Good luck with your learning curve, whichever way you go.

Last edited by wizofoz; 02-24-2015 at 05:00 AM.
03-02-2015, 03:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Note that by default, Faststone works with the embedded preview JPEG - it doesn't render the RAW image...
You are right, Faststone really works with jpg image as default. That way pic browsing is fast. If want to edit/view RAW version of selected photo then its needed to press 'A' key. I did just find out this yesterday, so it looks like I was editing embedded jpgs all the time