Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lighting Techniques

I will be fielding questions regarding lighting techniques for Studio/Interior and Exterior environments that I garnered since starting this God forsaken business in 1980. I will do my best to respond objectively. I doubt if I can respond without adding my own personal slant, but none the less I will do my best.

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2007 at 12:23 AM.
02-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you were recommending a lighting setup to be used just for fun shots would you have a preference for umbrellas or softboxes? Do they have totally different looks or could a good photographer achive the same thing with either one?
thanks
barondla
02-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I use none of the above...or rarely

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
If you were recommending a lighting setup to be used just for fun shots would you have a preference for umbrellas or softboxes? Do they have totally different looks or could a good photographer achive the same thing with either one?
thanks
barondla
Let's have some fun. Let's pretend that it is a very nice sunny day in May and the light is coming in to the room and hitting the wall and back in to another space. Now take a cardboard box, paint it white inside, stick it in front of a 500 watt tungsten light and bounce it off of your wall. In fact start directing it anywhere and every where. Take a person, any person and put them anywhere in the room and not necessarily "IN FRONT OF THE LIGHT SOURCE"...watch what happens. In fact, better idea. Set the light up as if you were intending to shoot that person where you think they ought to be relative to the light source. Stop...Don't do it!!! Take the shot from a totally alien vantage point...Now start to play..See what happens.

Speak Soon