Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom incompatible with Digital Camera 4

Hello everyone

I entered the world of image editing, use Lightroom 5.7, my file are in
PEF, so far without problems.
After image editing
converted to DNG, Pentax 4, does not open the images.

I tried several times with or without xpm embedded in the file simply
does not open.

Has anyone tried this? It is possible to open the edited file in digital Pentax
camera 4?

03-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to see if you have the latest version of Digital Pentax Camera 4. If you have an older version it might not be able to read current DNG format.

But the burning question in my mind is why you would want to use the Pentax software when you already have Lightroom?
03-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe someone with better knowledge can comment on this, but my experience & understanding is that PDCU4 will only read DNGs directly from the camera, not created by some other program.

I agree with Jatrax -- there would be no need to create DNGs in LR then read them in PDCU4, as LR does all you need, and more than PDCU4 will do. You are able to read the original PEF camera files in PDCU4 anyway.

-Joe-
03-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply

use this version, updated this morning and still not open.

Digital Camera Utility 4 Update for Windows | Software Downloads?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

I think the best 4 camera, because I get a wider range of EXIF data

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 04:27 PM ----------

I think there's not much to do, I will continue in lightroom and keep the original files, Raw PEF as safety reserve

03-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by willeisner Quote
because I get a wider range of EXIF data
There are plug ins for Lightroom that will read more EXIF. Or just get a free copy of EXIF Tool.

Also, why are you shooting in PEF? Change the setting in camera to shoot DNG. Perhaps those files will work in PDCU4 as well. Makes loading into Lightroom easier as well since you do not have to convert.
03-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It is possible to open the edited file in digital Pentax
camera 4?
Converting to DNG isn't an 'edit' - there's been no picture modification, you have just changed the container type..
Lightroom doesn't strip any EXIF. It's all there.
If you want access to all meta data, use EXIFtool (freeware) - or the free version of PIE (also uses EXIFtool internally)
03-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There are plug ins for Lightroom that will read more EXIF. Or just get a free copy of EXIF Tool.

Also, why are you shooting in PEF? Change the setting in camera to shoot DNG. Perhaps those files will work in PDCU4 as well. Makes loading into Lightroom easier as well since you do not have to convert.
I agree - LR is hands down more capable than PDCU and all the EXIF data is there for the looking with the right plugin or add on program.

However, I just did a test of DNGs that I have edited in LR5.7. I have no trouble opening them in PDCU5, but they will not open in PDCU4. I wonder if this has to do with the files being from a K-3 or whether it is some limitation of 4 that was eliminated in 5.

03-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Also, why are you shooting in PEF?
Aye, you beat me to it.
03-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for the comments

in PDCU4 this does not work, even with update, the new version may have sobrido correction agree with you.

Deleted pdcu4 pc, I will test the suggestions.

as a photographer that he decided to work with the image editing in LR5.7.

when it comes time to export the files whether TIFF and PSD, the L.R5.7 in Image Sizing section can choose image size but also the PPI. I'm lost on this point. In RAW files there is no such possibility but to take the necessary print files in TIFF or
PSD. as I do not want no compression or loss of data and interpolation
the image scaling is "calibrated" to 240 ppi.
what would be the correct value to preserve the "originality" of my files without loss.

so far I have selected 16-bit color Adobe RGB uncompressed.
PPI data has left me confused.
03-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

PPI is relevant only if you are printing. And even then, unless you're doing commercial printing, the PPI won't be used. At any store kiosk or online printer, they're going to set their own print pixel density, so it's just a matter of your image being large enough in terms of pixels to look good.

Adjusting PPI will generally change the size of your image, as programs like Photoshop fix the PPI and adjust the pixels to match the physical size times the density. If your image is 3000x2000 and 300 PPI, it is 10"x6.67". If you adjust the PPI to 400, it will resize to 4000x2667 pixels. Best not to adjust PPI unless you need a physical size or DPI.
03-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The PDCU software only opens DNG's created by the camera, thus running files through Lightroom to convert to DNG will not work (or the DNG converter by Adobe). Further, the DNG's from the K3 (for instance) will not likely be opened by a previous version of PDCU because I don't think the files are backward compatible. Or the software has some "features" that check what cameras it can read from, and newer cameras wouldn't be in that list.

This is just how Pentax set it up.
03-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thank Mad MathMind and all the recommended software worked perfectly.

thanks to all