Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 5.7 changes colors of RAW Images of K-3, 645Z

Hi,

I have tried to search but am unable to find an answer, everytime I import RAW photos in Lightroom it changes the colors and make them different than what I shot. Is it some issue with importing or Color Profile?

03-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You likely have a problem with the monitor color profile. Lightroom uses a variant of Pro Photo RGB for the Develop module color space and Adobe RGB everywhere else. The preview image on the camera rear LCD is drawn from the embedded preview JPEG in the RAW file and should be either sRGB or Adobe RGB depending on your camera settings. It may vary somewhat from what Lightroom displays, but should be essentially similar.

Where a problem occurs is when the monitor has an unusual calibration that leads to some strange value mapping by Lightroom. I had problems with a strange bronze tint in Lightroom with my Samsung monitor using the manufacturer's icc profile. This went away when I created a custom icc profile using the calibration wizard that is part of Windows. It would be even better if I were to bite the bullet and buy a calibration device and do it right

Steve
03-18-2015, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

A bunch of things going on. First of all, the thumbnail you see on the camera is not the raw data, but the embedded preview jpeg which is processed according to the jpeg settings in-camera. You know, jpeg mode (bright, vibrant, landscape, portrait, etc.), contrast and sharpness, NR, chromatic aberration correction, distortion correction, shadow and highlight correction, vignetting correction and diffraction correction (not all cameras have all of these, but I think K-3 does). If these are enabled, they will be applied to the thumbnail.
When you import this into LR, it will first show the preview jpeg, then it will load the raw data and show you the much less attractive raw data. You see, raw data interpreted into an image is "ugly", it must be processed, developed. In jpeg mode, the camera does that for you. But the raw needs to be edited by yourself (or auto mode, presets, and so on)

That being said, color profiles are important, especially when it comes to orange and red colours. Instead of Adobe standard, I prefer to use Embedded or the Rawstudio colour profile (not sure if one for your version of LR and camera is freely available, but try googling for it), especially when there is a lot of red in the frame (flowers). The colour profile is the base, but it will still not looks as pretty as a jpeg or the preview jpeg.

I think SilkyPix, the raw software that comes with Pentax cameras, lets you apply all those in-camera settings to your raw photos. Lightroom doesn't have these presets, but you can download some nice ones to get the most out of those raw photos. LR has this great feature that lets you create a custom preset that gets applied to a photo as soon as you import it. I have things like Color profile, Noise reduction, and sharpening fixed this way, so I don't have to do all of this stuff for every separate photo. You can go all out and apply auto corrections, custom curves, added saturation and so on. Good luck

Edit: Oh, the above reply reminded me of color space. This is another separate thing, which sets the amount of possible colours that the photo can find. When converting between these profiles, errors can show up. This is why it is best to have the in-camera Colour space and the colour space of the developing software and the final jpeg photo all be in the same space. The internet works with sRGB, so most people use sRGB throughout their process. But some photographers use AdobeRGB (allows more "green" nuances) or ProRGB, since they allow slightly more shades of colours. But the snag here is that most people won't notice this anyway, and most displays/monitors cannot show such nuances either. Just avoid converting between colour spaces and you should be okay.
03-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxloxton Quote
Hi,

I have tried to search but am unable to find an answer, everytime I import RAW photos in Lightroom it changes the colors and make them different than what I shot. Is it some issue with importing or Color Profile?
What are your import settings? Also, RAW is raw camera sensor data, not an image. So, what are you comparing the lightroom interpretation of that data too? The low res camera screen?

03-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The default color profile is the Adobe Standard. It can look a bit different from the Pentax one, depending on the lighting. Sometimes they look identical. You can change this in one of the bottom menus after Profile Adjustments (IIRC). You can also add the change to a preset and apply the preset upon import. That will save you time if you wish to adjust every photo.

I find that it doesn't matter much. If the profiles are different, the white balance generally needs adjusting, so what the profile doesn't really matter. You'll be changing whatever it was to look right anyway. When the profiles give the same result, the white balance was good from the start and again, it doesn't matter which you use.
03-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Or are you saying that LR 5.7 is treating them differently than LR 5.6 did?
03-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Hi - I've been having a very similar problem. I've also been unable to find any google results that match...

On the K-3 screen, I get the JPEG preview, even when shooting in RAW (.DNG). I understand that part. I also understand that when opening the RAW file in a program such as Picasa or another RAW compatible picture viewer it shows me first the white-balance adjusted .JPEG that only exists within the RAW in my case, then after loading, it shows me the RAW image. In Lightroom though, I imported some RAW photos and it is almost as if it showed me the .JPEG and never changed over to the RAW. So, essentially it's like I'm having to start editing what the image would have looked like shooting in .JPEG mode instead of seeing and starting with the RAW.

For instance, the image was taken in bright sunlight, so I compensated by speeding up the shutter-speed to have a darker image, rather than an over-exposed image. The screen, showing me what it would have done showed me an image that was brightened by the .JPEG engine in camera. Opening this RAW file in Picasa first shows me the bright (corrected by in camera processor) image before loading and showing me the RAW darker image which I could easily brighten/pull more detail out of. In Lightroom though, I see the same bright image that I saw on the camera screen and also the one that Picasa showed me before loading the more dull RAW data. I haven't noticed this happening with my other photos, it just seems to be the more recent ones... I checked in the Lightroom import menus trying to find settings to ensure it wasn't pulling the .JPEG from the RAW data, but haven't had any luck.

03-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Check that you haven't accidentally set LR to auto apply a preset on import.
I did this once, couldn't work out why all my images were coming in with a magenta cast until I checked this.
Attached Images