Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
This. (And what baro-nite said as well....). Personally, I like the softer feel of the original and would
only bump up the warmth and saturation of the couple a little bit. But as has been pointed out above,
your effort to increase the contrast and saturation of the couple has also made the background more
prominent.

I would decrease the saturation of the background a tad to pull the eye towards the red shirt and
foreground. Perhaps increase the contrast of the sky a bit to give just a hint of definition to the
clouds. Then, bring up the warmth and contrast of the couple. Lastly, I'd fiddle with the red shirt.
I do like the strength of hue of the red shirt in the right image but otherwise would prefer to see
the overall tones a bit softer.
Agree with these gentlemen. Also, be careful if you selectively boost saturation or luminance of the reds. If you look at the man's ear on your "after" shot, I think you'll see what I mean.

04-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upk8w2vgqa0qjay/felicia%20%26%20Jeremy-8006834.NEF?dl=0

hows that for messing with your head. :P

Anyways, here was my process on the post process.

I first referenced my image with a X-Rite color checker passport, created a new color profile and set white balance off the grey card. applied to all for the whole series. Found the reds looked like poo, but the blues were punchier. image still washed. So I started playing with the color files I already have installed settling on Kodak Portra 160 from VSCO. The reds turned out much nicer, but the overall image was still washed. I did the adjustments found in the image above focusing primarily on her shirt and the skin tones. I burned the background by a full stop down by using the adjustment brush, that whole mask covering the river, the background, and the sky. the bridge deck being untouched. I then did a dodge on the black clothing, mostly boosting the shadows and reducing the contrast. Then, her right arm in darker shadow than anything else, I used another dodge adjustment brush giving a +0.15 to just bring it up slightly. hence why the halo is there because I just couldn't get it right.
04-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upk8w2vgqa0qjay/felicia%20%26%20Jeremy-8006834.NEF?dl=0

hows that for messing with your head. :P

Anyways, here was my process on the post process.

I first referenced my image with a X-Rite color checker passport, created a new color profile and set white balance off the grey card. applied to all for the whole series. Found the reds looked like poo, but the blues were punchier. image still washed. So I started playing with the color files I already have installed settling on Kodak Portra 160 from VSCO. The reds turned out much nicer, but the overall image was still washed. I did the adjustments found in the image above focusing primarily on her shirt and the skin tones. I burned the background by a full stop down by using the adjustment brush, that whole mask covering the river, the background, and the sky. the bridge deck being untouched. I then did a dodge on the black clothing, mostly boosting the shadows and reducing the contrast. Then, her right arm in darker shadow than anything else, I used another dodge adjustment brush giving a +0.15 to just bring it up slightly. hence why the halo is there because I just couldn't get it right.
That was interesting.
It downloaded as a .NEF which is a Nikon format.
And darktable could not find any detail in the Background - totally overexposed as far as it was concerned.
So presumably it is a Nikon image? and not compatible with darktable?
The interesting thing is that the people were actually quite editable.
I suspect that the light conditions there have asked too much of your camera.
Attached Images

04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

DXO raw conversion (with D800 and the 70-200 profiles applied)….minor tweaking in light room…. could do more to fix her top etc

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-19-2015 at 09:46 PM.
04-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

One option for shots like this, if you're about to give up on them anyway: Throw them into Nik Color efex or HDR pro and play a bit. If you're happy with the result, great. If you think the result is overkill, just pop it into photoshop with the original overlaying it and tweak the layer settings til you've mellowed it down enough to give what you want without looking overcooked.
04-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
DXO raw conversion (with D800 and the 70-200 profiles applied)….minor tweaking in light room…. could do more to fix her top etc

Don't forget to adjust her right hand as well, overall this rendition is my fav.
04-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
there is some sort of halo around the hand against the sky in the right image
That kind of halo is what I stumble upon a lot in user images and I am wondering what filter does this oddity.
For my eyes its like the HDR illness that circulates. It always feels like "whoops FILTER APPLIED!" But I guess this is a matter of taste and another thread.

04-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Have you considered shifting gears and go black and white? The base image as provided by the OP from DropBox, then cropped/fine tuned in LR+NIK SilverEfexPro and resized to 800p on the long side during export from LR. Time required to pp after download... less than 3 minutes.

Cheers... M
Your conversion lost details in legs.
04-20-2015, 04:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Just a straight technical PP job - nothing artsy.
It was nice to have such a large file to work with - there was a lot of tonal range to work with.

Last edited by wildman; 04-24-2015 at 11:59 AM.
04-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

First, that file is not to my taste. The subjects are not sharp at all. The resolution is not there what I was expecting from D800... Just wondering what happen there... Anyway, I just did quick 20-30 minutes job on those three samples. One is cropped to 4x3, other two uncropped.

EDIT: Click on pictures to get to bigger sizes on flickr...

04-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #26

I had to try too ;-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800  Photo 
04-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Korg Quote
I had to try too ;-)
Hey that's pretty good
04-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #28

Thank you
04-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Korg Quote
Thank you
Quite easy to get close to that too.... Hummmmm.... Don't know why I didn't strip it down that basic too
04-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
First, that file is not to my taste. The subjects are not sharp at all. The resolution is not there what I was expecting from D800... Just wondering what happen there... Anyway, I just did quick 20-30 minutes job on those three samples. One is cropped to 4x3, other two uncropped.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocrkja4y6n1p0ke/_8008365.NEF?dl=0

try that file.

anyways, what I think happened was a tough lighting situation, not paying attention, mixed with very high winds and cold subjects that were shivering. That coupled with 36mp of insanity can mean that even the slight jitter can cause the image to loose sharpness.

Please don't see the original image as a solid example of my work. I usually only ask for help when I'm having issues.