Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried either feature yet. I subscribe to CC too so including these features in LR isn't anything that will generate any excitement with me. The main reason to upgrade for most people is to be able to process the RAW photos on their new camera as Adobe never never adds new profiles to older versions. Pentax insulates us from that somewhat by offering the DNG file format in camera. One of my motivations to subscribe to CC was the need to upgrade to LR5 to edit the RAW files from my Lumix LF1.

Windows users have to have a 64bit computer to run LR6 so some folks with older versions will have to spend a lot more than just Adobe's upgrade price if their computer isn't up to the current requirements. Adobe is making a wise move in keeping the stand alone version of Lightroom. A large chunk of the US and certainly other countries DON'T have any broadband internet or reliable cell service so all this "cloud" hype is BS. If I lived just 1/2 mile further up my road, I would be doomed to dial up as there is no DSL or cable available.

04-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
The pano feature AND the HDR feature in LR 6 both suck. Not just a 'well this is underwhelming' suck, I'm talking 'why did they even bother?' levels of suck. Panos bomb out for me half the time (without any helpful explanations as to WHY so I can fix the issue and try again), and the HDRs are just complete garbage compared to what you can get out of anything else*.

I'm kind of glad I have CC and didn't drop $150 thinking I was going to get some kind of robust (or even halfassed) set of features there.

* EDIT: I retried using better files as source images. The HDR's are nice, if you only want one 'flavor' of HDR image. Those who are into the grungy look, or like pushing certain elements over something else will be SOOL, as you literally have ONE option for the HDR processing. I'll probably stick with importing to Photomatix for my HDR needs.
I tried it too and there isn't "one flavor" of HDR, you have a .dng file after the conversion and can edit it as you wish, including the grungy look, just increase Clarity and there it is.
So your "HDR and Pano suck" comment is uninformed.

Graham
04-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The pano feature worked OK for me on a recent test pano. Handy to have it work directly from the RAW's.
04-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2grahamb Quote
I tried it too and there isn't "one flavor" of HDR, you have a .dng file after the conversion and can edit it as you wish, including the grungy look, just increase Clarity and there it is.
So your "HDR and Pano suck" comment is uninformed.

Graham
In which case I just use Photomatix as always.

Don't throw 'uninformed' at me unless you know who or what you're talking about.

I've used just about every pano and/or HDR program under the sun at some point, and LR6's implementation of both sucks.

If I'm running an HDR I want to edit it on the fly, not have to wait for it to process and be stuck with a DNG file I then have to tweak as an extra step compared to just about every program in existence.

When I'm doing a pano I want at the very least to have a preview of what I'm looking at, and I'd like an error message when the pano fails so I can adjust whatever it was I did wrong. Again, just about every other program in existence gives you this (including Photoshop).

My statement stands - LR6's HDR and pano features are underwhelming and lacking in features you can get from other software that costs $150 less (read: free).

04-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Does this mean the market for WA and UWA lenses is dead and the "corners are soft" objections resolved?
Not entirely, of course. But knowing you have access to decent pano software might give you an excuse to leave that big and heavy UWA at home sometimes.
04-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #21

In which case I just use Photomatix as always.

Don't throw 'uninformed' at me unless you know who or what you're talking about.

I've used just about every pano and/or HDR program under the sun at some point, and LR6's implementation of both sucks.

If I'm running an HDR I want to edit it on the fly, not have to wait for it to process and be stuck with a DNG file I then have to tweak as an extra step compared to just about every program in existence.

When I'm doing a pano I want at the very least to have a preview of what I'm looking at, and I'd like an error message when the pano fails so I can adjust whatever it was I did wrong. Again, just about every other program in existence gives you this (including Photoshop).

My statement stands - LR6's HDR and pano features are underwhelming and lacking in features you can get from other software that costs $150 less (read: free).
I had to wait less than a minute for LR6 to process three DNG images from a K5 and the resulting 75MB HDR DNG had a much wider range of development possibilities than the individual files. These development steps are surely a crucial part of producing an image. Your "have to tweak as an extra step" comment reminds me of those who prefer JPEG over RAW because of the "extra" work involved.
Sure there are other HDR/Pano programs that have more features; but I think LR6's HDR/Pano tools do a great job and are very useful for photographers. Your experience obviously differs, so we can agree to disagree.
04-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I found the HDR feature a bit underwhelming. It's not to say I won't use it, but I'm still inclined to stick with Nik HDR Efex. Now, unfortunately, I haven't really played with the LR one much to even look at the output file. I suppose it's a 32 bit DNG file at which point you just use LR for your tone mapping. I do like the idea, I just wish there was a bit more to the initial merging stage. Having basically two options is kind of pointless, especially the auto-tone one, which you can do after the merge anyway.

But, I do like having a 32-bit file out of it as that can be used in any tone-mapping software, and so far I did find that the auto-align feature worked well enough for the one HDR series I threw at it. I think my frustrations will mount once the alignment or ghosting features don't work well. At least with Nik they give options for those items.

I also found the HDR quite slow compared to Nik or Photomatix. I don't recall if Photoshop was that slow with HDR before; it's been a while since I've used the one in CS6.