Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 02:23 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Nightmare Turned Into a Fairy Tale...

Hopefully that title isn't too dramatic, but I think it aptly describes a recent experience of mine.

My brother got married this weekend, and while I wasn't the official photographer, I had a pretty great vantage point and got a few once-in-a-lifetime shots. I stayed up late the night of the wedding and the next night, working on the photos in Lightroom. I worked out a new look for these photos and hit a good stride, so close to midnight I was toiling away on my laptop, using the brush, when my laptop just died. Apparently my battery wasn't actually charging even though the laptop was plugged in, and rather than powering down, my laptop just completely lost power.

When I turned it back on, Lightroom wouldn't open the catalog with the wedding photos. It wouldn't open ANY catalog. After a bit of research, I discovered that updating the Preference file in the registry would prompt Lightroom to open and allow me to choose a catalog, and it was at that point that I realized that the wedding catalog was corrupt.

All of my photos were safe, but the work I'd done - things that were new to me and were painstakingly done - all of that was gone. Or so I thought. I found an old thread from a different forum (seriously, it was from 2012) that mentioned the name of an Adobe worker who could work magic with corrupt catalogs. I sent off an email to him, hoping he was alive and that he hadn't changed email addresses. Another person knew someone at Adobe. I sent her a message through Facebook. Within 12 hours, I had the catalog back to me, uncorrupted and fixed! And a couple of hours after that, I had another offer from an Adobe employee to fix it for me. All for nothing in return besides my effusive thanks.

So that's the fairy tale. In an age where you hear so many discouraging stories about companies and individuals, this story had a great ending. So to Dan Tull of Adobe and Victoria "The Lightroom Queen" Bampton...you guys saved the day!

04-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad things worked out. I had a similar bad experience with my daughters wedding photos last year when I was backing up photos to an external drive. The external drive filled up and for whatever reason, Windows deleted the folders I was copying from the C drive in my computer. I had a Lightroom directory but no photos, just the thumbnails. I also had all the JPEG exports from my original edits. I still had all my originals on my SD cards and copies on my iPad but I ended up reloading my cards into Lightroom and doing all my work over. I never thought to get in touch with Adobe to see if there was another way save myself all that work.
04-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

I wish companies should act like they did.. Bravo!