Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

On the subject of face detection, I've been using Picasa to do that for a few years over my JPEGs, and it works fine.

While it's handy to have face detection in LR, I guess, I'd rather not have face detection stealing away Lightroom CPU cycles and RAM.

04-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Circuits Quote
I have the same problem, where it seems to be slower than LR5. I have a NVIDIA GT630, which is nothing special as I don't do any gaming. However, I just ordered a new video card GTX750. My number one requirement was for it to be silent. Hopefully that will speed it up.

Amazon.com: ASUS Graphics Cards GTX750-DCSL-2GD5: Computers & Accessories

I might not have time to install it until early next week, but I will try and let you know how it works.
Thanks, but I'm too impatient to wait! So I ordered this one (Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Zone Edition 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDMI DVI DisplayPort Graphics Card ZT-70707-20M). We can compare notes.
04-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I couldn't work out how to upgrade. The website pushes CC which I don't have.

I'm not interested in facial recognition and have that turned off in Picasa (I don't trust Google to not use it - on other reason I'm not on Google +).
04-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I had the same problem with the push to CC. I couldn't find a link to upgrade the standalone version. I told them so, in a pop up survey too, but I never heard back from them. maybe if sales lag, they will make it easier to find.

04-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
have that turned off in Picasa (I don't trust Google to not use it
FWIW, Picasa for me works without ever talking to Google. (I always have tcpview running on my PC to check these things). I also have the auto Google 'updater-of-everything-Google' service disabled, of course.

But I agree - face detection is a bit creepy, especially when you see how effective it has become even in consumer-grade form like in Picasa. You have to worry where all these personal data traces end up.

And I found/bought the desktop LR6 from the very bottom right of this page where it says: 'Lightroom 6: For desktop only. Mobile capabilities and feature updates not included. Buy now'. The in the cart, select the 'Edit' cart link, and under 'I want to buy' choose the upgrade option if you are upgrading, to bring the price down to AU99$.
04-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I couldn't work out how to upgrade. The website pushes CC which I don't have.
Here's the link: https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom

It was confusing to me too but I decided to push ahead and it worked, so here's what to do: use that link to download the CC installer. Run it and it will install some kind of CC control center program.

After you log in with your Adobe ID that CC control center will then allow you to download and install Lightroom. And when you do that, it will give you a thirty day trial.

Not exactly intuitive. And I haven't tried purchasing it after that point, though I suppose I will follow rawr's link (or the US version of same), get an upgrade serial number, and plug it into that CC program and see if that's how it works.

Last edited by Quicksand; 04-27-2015 at 06:07 PM.
04-27-2015, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #22
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Here's the link: https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom

It was confusing to me too but I decided to push ahead and it worked, so here's what to do: use that link to download the CC installer. Run it and it will install some kind of CC control center program.

After you log in with your Adobe ID that CC control center will then allow you to download and install Lightroom. And when you do that, it will give you a thirty day trial.

Not exactly intuitive. And I haven't tried purchasing it after that point, though I suppose I will follow rawr's link (or the US version of same), get an upgrade serial number, and plug it into that CC program and see if that's how it works.

no!!! You don't need to install any CC garbage if you want to order the standalone perpetual licensed version. Do. not. do. the. above.

Just go here https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata...ml?

Click on 'Buy' to the right of 'Lightroom 6' and select 'Upgrade' from the drop down where it says 'Full'

04-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
It would be nice if someone in the future were to make an in-depth comparison between the LR6 HDR and something like Photomatix.
Well it actually does work, and maybe I just don't understand what they are trying to do. Anyway you do get a merged HDR DNG file, which is great. However, when you open it to edit, shadows are pulled up 100 and highlights down 100 and a bunch of other stuff. It really looks like what I would do if I took the middle exposure and pulled shadows up and highlights down 100. I guess I was expecting a toned image ready to be finished using the develop model. But like I said, maybe I am not understanding something.

Biggest issue I have is there are no options except some selections for the degree of de-ghosting you want to achieve. As compared to Photomatix which has almost too many options to understand.

I'll give it some more time and maybe check the Adobe site for a video or instructions but so far I don't see the point.
04-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well it actually does work, and maybe I just don't understand what they are trying to do. Anyway you do get a merged HDR DNG file, which is great. However, when you open it to edit, shadows are pulled up 100 and highlights down 100 and a bunch of other stuff. It really looks like what I would do if I took the middle exposure and pulled shadows up and highlights down 100. I guess I was expecting a toned image ready to be finished using the develop model. But like I said, maybe I am not understanding something.

Biggest issue I have is there are no options except some selections for the degree of de-ghosting you want to achieve. As compared to Photomatix which has almost too many options to understand.

I'll give it some more time and maybe check the Adobe site for a video or instructions but so far I don't see the point.
Yea I was curious about the HDR in LR6 specifically because I read another review on it from a well known photographer (I can't find it now, but I read it a few days ago) and he panned it, basically described what you just said.

Sigh, I guess one can dream. Hopefully since it's all just software anyways, they can tweak and enhance the HDR function. It would be nice to consolidate as many functions into LR as possible to streamline workflows.
04-28-2015, 04:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
They probably will, since it feels a bit half baked. If you have a small library, it won't too bad to go through and tag all the misses (about 50%), if you gave a large library... Wait.

The way I see it is that it might be tedious to begin with, having to basically go through my whole catalog manually tagging, but in the future it might be pretty solid, capturing misses as they come. Its a decent feature, but probably not enough of a reason to shell out for the upgrade (yet).
Well, I have about 16k pictures in my library. A significant part of these are family images. For the moment, I enter keywords, including the names of people in the picture. I don't care for the actual face to be identified, but if Lightroom can save me the hassle of entering the names keywords, I'd be happy. As long as it works, I often use those keywords to sort in pictures. If I have to review every decision Lightroom takes to make sure it doesn't make mistakes, there's no time saved.

I've read that you can take a keyword and convert it into a "people keyword", that would be fine for me, again IF it works.
04-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've read that you can take a keyword and convert it into a "people keyword", that would be fine for me, again IF it works.
If you have a well tagged library, something like that would work. I'd see if that function was there, and how well it works for you, but I'm not around my computer at the moment.

Though, I have to ask, if your tagging method works for you, then what would the difference be? For people with good keyword discipline, I don't really see this as a killer feature, especially since it really don't work that consistently. You're still going to have to go and tag half your pictures. Outside of the fact that LRs algorithm is a bit schizophrenic (two pictures, shot 20 seconds apart, same lightning, same subject, only one has a " recognizable" face?), all face matching algorithms suffer from the limitation that they can only find faces, so if you have a half-turned profile, or a silhouette, they will never help.

I've run into this with Picasa, even if it caught everything that has an actual human face, around 30% of my real world photos need me to go in and add keywords, since people aren't always facing the camera in in-situ, non-portrait photography.
04-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
no!!! You don't need to install any CC garbage if you want to order the standalone perpetual licensed version. Do. not. do. the. above.
AM I GOING TO DIE???!?

Well, I wasn't going to buy it right away and I didn't see any other way to access the 30-day trial, so I don't think what I said was quite that out-of-line.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.
04-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
AM I GOING TO DIE???!?

Well, I wasn't going to buy it right away and I didn't see any other way to access the 30-day trial, so I don't think what I said was quite that out-of-line.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

No, but now you have a CC account. congrats on being one of the borg collective. I'm not sure if they have an LR6 trial really. It seems they have now tied all trial versions into the CC to rope people into the cloud. blah. However, You don't in any way, shape, or form need to touch anything CC related to buy Lightroom 6.

Other bum news is Adobe is handling upgrades directly -- no boxed copies at Amazon or B&H
04-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #29
Pentaxian

No, but now you have a CC account. congrats on being one of the borg collective.
Thumbs down for Adobe for making it hard to find the stand alone version.

I'll never become a borg. If the option of having LR stand alone will disappear in the future, I'll find a different software to use (e.g., darktable, or Capture One).

I'm not sure if they have an LR6 trial really.
Can one not use the stand alone version for a trial period as well? That's what I gathered from various sources.

Some related and further information on LR6 from the "Lightroom Queen" is interesting but it appears I won't be able to even run a trial because my Win7 is 32-bit only.
04-28-2015, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I upgraded my stand-alone copy of LR5 to LR6 (the $79 upgrade version) and it auto-installed Adobe Creative Cloud on my PC. When I try to uninstall it, I get this:

So, be warned. They seem to be nudging (not so gently) toward CC.

Another issue I ran into is the LR6 installer complained that it failed to find my copy of LR5, even though I have it installed at the default location under C:\Program Files\...
I had to manually enter my LR5 serial to prove that I own it.

I have not run into any bugs or problems yet in LR6 itself, but haven't done much. Face detection works once you train it. In a couple instances it mistook an object (such as a vase) for a face.

I'm using a Radeon 7900-series GPU. No problems so far.