Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any linux users around?

As my macbook pro slowly dies, i'm looking at getting a windows machine and running Ubuntu, as i'm increasingly dissatisfied with apple's products, and also am a student, so i can't really afford a mac that is as powerful as I'd like. But it occurred to me that adobe might not have support for linux OSes, so simple question: can I run lightroom in Ubuntu?

05-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used Ubuntu for several years on my main computer, but have since then returned to Windows. Adobe products are still essentially incompatible with Ubuntu as far as I know. But dual-booting is a great idea if you need linux for programming or other applications.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For all the open source info there is even a a Pentax Linux users group thread where your questions would be most welcome..

Pentax Linux - PentaxForums.com

If you are using Ubuntu then you will want to add this ppa for all the Photo-goodness and most up to date versions....(including pktriggercord for tethering your pentax camera to your Ubuntu computer... )
https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/ubuntu/myway

Darktable is the up and coming Linux app .
http://www.darktable.org/

Last edited by bobD; 05-05-2015 at 10:52 PM.
05-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yep, here i use a desktop machine LinuxMint as my main system and in dual boot with win7, win7 is solely for Lightroom, if i wasn't so lazy i might learn to use Darktable more as it is a very good Raw editor. Darktabke will run no worries on Ubuntu, it looks different but has tools that do similar things like on Lightroom.
If buying a new laptop for a dual boot, do check out the UEFI stuff about dual booting, ie. via UEFI disabling secure boot and the like.
Basically windows in first, then partition for Mint "in my case" /, /home, boot, swap. That way a boot loader like easyBCD can be used in windows, so that any windows update won't destroy a shared boot partition, that has happened in the past.
Then there is colour management, I think there is a package that works with the spyder type calibration tool, someone else will have to mention that, can't think of it at the present.

05-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #5

I had been a Linux user since 1997 and normally do a dual-boot w/ MS Windows. My default photo editor has always been GIMP and have never bothered using Photoshop or Lightroom for personal use though I have used Photoshop in the past for work. GIMP is good enough for me.
05-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #6

Yes, here's another LinuxMint user. First I kept a dual-boot setup like beachgardener, but then switched to linux completely. I'm now using a combination of darktable and gimp to process my files. Chances to run Lightroom under Linux are very low, I never managed to run it under wine (LR 5). Learning darktable isn't that difficult so I would give it a try.
05-06-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Linux is fun, but not usable at all for my work unfortunately I hope one day it will be.

05-06-2015, 01:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Linux is fun, but not usable at all for my work unfortunately I hope one day it will be.
I hope it works for you too...

You don't say what work you do so unfortunately your comment is rather vague and unqualified...

For all anyone here would know you could be a scaffolding erector ,a gravedigger, or Horse jockey and of course linux would not be of great use there...
05-06-2015, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
hope one day it will be.
yes me too

And it will start more when more people write software for the distro's, eg. say, if Pentax supplied their editing software for install via a deb or rpm, and more follow suit.

Last edited by beachgardener; 05-06-2015 at 02:16 AM. Reason: add words
05-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
I hope it works for you too...

You don't say what work you do so unfortunately your comment is rather vague and unqualified...

For all anyone here would know you could be a scaffolding erector ,a gravedigger, or Horse jockey and of course linux would not be of great use there...
I do a lot of photo editing, video, graphic design and vectoring. So Final Cut Pro, Photoshop and Illustrator mostly
05-06-2015, 02:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
yes me too

And it will start more when more people write software for the distro's, eg. say, if Pentax supplied their editing software for install via a deb or rpm, and more follow suit.
Why would anyone prefer Pentax's editing software to i.e. RAW-converters like darktable?

@kenspo: Just curious: what was it exactly what You were missing on linux?
05-06-2015, 02:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
and more follow suit.
that is my point, not a preference for one or the other
05-06-2015, 02:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
@kenspo: Just curious: what was it exactly what You were missing on linux?
Final Cut Pro, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Powerpoint, Photomatix PRO + plugins like Intensify, Tonality and EP publishing tool for my magazine. Sure there is more too
05-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #14

I am a "full-stack" Linux user, I don't use Windows since many years. As a software developer I work on computer 10 hours a day, and I don't miss anything that runs on Windows.
Even for photography Linux has all I need. I am a big fan of Photivo for raw development, and Gimp can substitute Photoshop. The main big issue with Gimp is that 16-bit per channel is not yet fully supported, but it will be with the upcoming 3.0 release.

My thought is that there's nothing wrong with Linux, you just have to want to make the effort to learn something new and to make the move. I know that it can be time-consuming and sometimes requires some skills...
05-06-2015, 02:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by domusofsail Quote
and sometimes requires some skills...
most definitely, most of my main skills are from the film days. Adapting to computers is time consuming, some imaging courses around are Adobe related, sitting in on them gives some skills, but learning all over again to adapt that to other programs like Darktable and Gimp are time consuming (sometimes I get stuck with terminology and the look of the layout), but we will get there in the end
Much different to installing an operating system and using a desktop in a simple way. I can build a desktop machine, but sitting there trying to work out a program can be frustrating.