Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Canon printer help!

Hi everyone!

I recently moved to Australia and sold almost all of my equipment in Finland. And my bellowed Epson 3880 was one of those things. Now I need a printer and before our lives are fully rolling over here I can't spend too much. Two printers have caught my eye.

Canon ix 6860 and Canon pixma ip8760 aussie numbers (europe ix6850 ip 8750 and usa ix6820 ip8720)

One of them is for office use and the other labeled home advanced. The ix also has one cartridge less than the ip8760 that has a grey one.

Now I would like to know if anyone have seen prints made with these two machines and spot any difference in quality. The ix is just half the price and can be found for 150 $ and the ip is 300$ in australia. The ix price is just super cheap if the A3 prints look ok. I can't buy a pro model and also epson r series are too expensive.

All responses are welcome!
Cheers

05-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
The grey cartridge must be good for something. The Canon PRO-100 has black and two shades of grey. They say that it can do long grey scales with no banding and no colour casts. Printers without the grey use some colour to make grey tones and can leave a cast. That being said, I have a smaller MX922 with no grey cartridge. I do a lot of black and white prints and it does a fine job of the mid-tones.
05-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had the ix6500 (an earlier non wi fi version of the ix6850) for a few years now and it produces very good quality A3 prints. For non commercial use it's probably as good as it gets within its price range and it has a good reputation for reliability ie the print heads don't get blocked.
05-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using the ix6850 for about a year now and I have only good things to say about it. Prints are very good with precise colours. Cartridges don't clog and the price is relatively low (both printer and cartridges). Economy is even better with the XL cartridges.

05-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jani80 Quote
Hi everyone!

I recently moved to Australia and sold almost all of my equipment in Finland. And my bellowed Epson 3880 was one of those things. Now I need a printer and before our lives are fully rolling over here I can't spend too much. Two printers have caught my eye.

Canon ix 6860 and Canon pixma ip8760 aussie numbers (europe ix6850 ip 8750 and usa ix6820 ip8720)

One of them is for office use and the other labeled home advanced. The ix also has one cartridge less than the ip8760 that has a grey one.

Now I would like to know if anyone have seen prints made with these two machines and spot any difference in quality. The ix is just half the price and can be found for 150 $ and the ip is 300$ in australia. The ix price is just super cheap if the A3 prints look ok. I can't buy a pro model and also epson r series are too expensive.

All responses are welcome!
Cheers
I had have the ip8760 for under a year and am rapt with it. I would imagine the extra cartridge is an example of the point of differences between the 2 models. Wouldn't an office model have an emphasis on things like through-put (speed)? And the home advanced on single image quality?
I run mainly Ilford smooth lustre, Canson photograhic rag and Fredrix Canvas through it with great results. Funny thing though, my favourite paper (Ilford gold fibre silk) for my previous printer, (a canon mp610 A4), does not print all that well on the ip8760. It could be damp paper though.