Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where are my files? Lightroom issue or PC issue?

I am having a problem right now! I normally use Lightroom and Photoshop to edit and classify my photo. Some few minutes before I opened Lightroom and tried to access one folder; I found out that Lightroom could not access the files. When I went into windows explorer to look for the folder. This is what I found inside, just one file having a size of 1.7 GB instead of my photos, all the photos from one photoshoot with all the edits. Is there a problem with my PC or is it a lightroom problem. I hope I've not lost all my photos from this photoshoot...It would be dramatic. Thanks a lot if anyone of you could help me with this issue:

Attached Images

05-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I can't tell much from that screen. You might just be looking in the wrong place for your photos, or there might be a technical problem that damaged files (and might be recoverable). There's a lot of "mights" because we need more info.

What error message does Lightroom display? Is your "Transcend (I)" drive the original camera memory card, or a different device where you loaded your photos? Where is your Lightroom catalog stored?
05-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Trancend I drive is the drive where I normally transfer all my photos, reserved for Lighroom and Photoshop work. I have all my other folders there with all the photos. It's only that folder in particular that has this issue. Inside lightroom I am told that the files cannot be accessed. Not sure what I did to provoke that. All I did was open Lightroom and go to the folder to find out the problem. It never happened to me before. I don't have any backup for this folder unfortunately!!
05-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Be careful that this could be the beginning of drive failure or a virus. Do a full backup ASAP before trying to modify the contents further.

The one filename looks screwed up and "date modified" is empty. Right click the file to view additional properties; maybe you'll see a clue there.

Do you use a different catalog for each photoshoot or one big catalog? In other words: is your catalog gone, or only the photo files? If all the photo files in that folder are missing check your Recycle Bin. If still not there, consider undelete and recovery software.

05-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is this a HDD or a Memory card inserted permanently? Anyway I think it is a disk failure, so if you can copy your files to anywhere else do that! If you can't copy your files call a recovery expert and don't touch the disk, or even the computer (if you have important files whitout backup on it)!
05-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is your workflow, or how do you get the files from camera to hard drive?
05-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Closed Account

right click on a photo in the "library", the menu says something like " show in explorer" (sorry I have the dutch version)
The explorer should open and show you the exact location of the files.
If you have external hard drives, they should be connected to your PC.

05-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I generally transfer my files from my Memory SD card to my external hard drive using Lightroom which converts all the files to DNG files. Then I start editing the files using Lightroom or Photoshop. I wonder if a power failure during work in Lightroom could have caused this! WHy is it that only the content of this specific folder is now missing while the rest is here? I am copying all my important folders off this drive now to make sure it does not happen to any other folders...
05-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Neel1 Quote
I wonder if a power failure during work in Lightroom could have caused this
If your prone to power outages, maybe time to consider a UPS, they're not hugely expensive these days.

Mine gives power for about twenty minutes or so and supplies a nice clean stabilised sine wave power... then with the iMac performs an unattended controlled shutdown by itself if I'm not about. I run both the iMac and a couple of Time Machine external back up drives without problems.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-26-2015 at 12:15 PM.
05-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It sounds better. I think the power failure happend when a writing to the HDD is in progress, so it modified the tabel of the files, but it couldn't finish it. So now it is in a corrupted state, but only for that folder, and it *may* be only a software error. If I were you I would consult whith a recovery expert. (If these files are very important and you deleted them from the SD card by now.) But if it's not that important you could try some free recovery tool yourself or the chekdisk built in to windows. But you should know, if you write anything to the drive or run any tool on it, then everything can go more wrong.

---------- Post added 05-26-15 at 09:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If your prone to power outages, maybe time to consider a UPS, they're not hugely expensive these days.
Yes the UPS is a good idea.
I have one too. My NAS whith two mirrored drive is attached to it, I backup every photo there.
05-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Occassionally when I import files Lightroom decides to put them on a different drive. So I try to remember to look before pressing the import button. Have you reformatted the card yet? If not try the import again, check the destination. This would be a new clean import if the power failure is the culprit, which I think is very probable.
05-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me it does not look to be a problem caused by Lightroom itself. The sorts of things that consolidate files like that are backup software or file compression software. Even so the naming of the file is very odd looking to me. I am not familiar with Transcend products but I do occasionally see proprietary backup software pre-installed on some USB Drives.

Lightroom seems for the most part to work quite well with the computer's file system but one thing it does not like is changes to the directory structure that are performed in the computer operating system. One thing I woulld try is go back to Lightroom locate the directory where the files should be and perform a "Synchronize Folder" A long shot I know but this function has overcome many (not all) files system conflicts I have had in the past.

I wish you well.

---------- Post added 27-05-15 at 08:33 AM ----------

From the Transcend website. This may be worth a try or contact their helpdesk.

"Some of my photos, MP3 music files or documents are missing or deleted. Is there any way to recover them?

If you accidentally formatted your drive or deleted folders that contained important data,
Transcend now offers an easy way to recover certain types of files. Transcend’s exclusive
RecoveRx™ software searches deep within your storage device to bring back lost photos of
virtually any format, and can also recover various types of multimedia files and documents. Visit
RecoveRx - Support & Download for more information or to download your free
copy of RecoveRx."
05-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What is this Transcend device?
An SD card? A SSD drive? A USB flash memory 'stick'? An external USB hard drive?

And where are the originals - still on the SD card in camera? If they are still on the SD card, just start the import process again.

QuoteQuote:
I generally transfer my files from my Memory SD card to my external hard drive using Lightroom
What is your workflow like? Is it:

- remove SD card(s) from camera;
- insert SD card into card reader on PC;
- start Lightroom;
- import images via Lightroom from SD card to external drive, converting to DNG along the way
- replace SD card(s) in camera

I suggest using a different workflow:

- using Windows Explorer, copy image files from SD card to external disk
- open Lightroom, import files from external disk location, do any on-import conversions necessary;

That way you aren't relying on Lightroom to do any copying and file transferring.

Oh, and I'd set the camera to shoot DNG in the first place, rather than ask Lightroom to do it on import.
05-27-2015, 02:41 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What is this Transcend device?
An SD card? A SSD drive? A USB flash memory 'stick'? An external USB hard drive?

And where are the originals - still on the SD card in camera? If they are still on the SD card, just start the import process again.

What is your workflow like? Is it:

- start Lightroom;
- import images via Lightroom from SD card to external drive, converting to DNG along the way
- replace SD card(s) in camera

I suggest using a different workflow:

- using Windows Explorer, copy image files from SD card to external disk
- open Lightroom, import files from external disk location, do any on-import conversions necessary;

That way you aren't relying on Lightroom to do any copying and file transferring.

Oh, and I'd set the camera to shoot DNG in the first place, rather than ask Lightroom to do it on import.
It is an external hard drive on which I save most of my photoshoot work! It is permanently connected to my PC and I access it very often. Up to now, I haven't had any problem with it! And the rest of my folders are still there. I think I should save my work in two different locations now to make sure I always have a back up in case something goes wrong like this! I will try the onboard Recovery software of Transcend to see if it works....Thanks for your support! I always check that the files are properly saved on the hard drive before removing the SD card. Actually, this is a series on photos that I've already started working on.

But now I remember there was a power cut during a work session inside Lightroom. I wonder if this power cut could have provoked this!!

Last edited by Neel1; 05-27-2015 at 02:51 AM.